ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
FYI. When members say, I think it will do this or will not do that, and it’s just a guess, it misinforms other members. Please don’t. I use my 12 volt battery when my EV is off and unplugged, and the 12v has never gone dead. The traction battery chargers it every time.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
FYI. When members say, I think it will do this or will not do that, and it’s just a guess, it misinforms other members. Please don’t. I use my 12 volt battery when my EV is off and unplugged, and the 12v has never gone dead. The traction battery chargers it every time.
Especially since if you read the manual it has statements like:
"Your vehicle has a high voltage to low voltage energy transfer feature that keeps the 12 volt battery charged by the high voltage battery. If the 12 volt battery level is low, the high voltage battery transfers energy to the 12 volt battery when the vehicle is off. "

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Ah but my suppositions are based upon what Ford's plugins have done in the past and thus aren't being completly pulled out of my nether regions.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
"Your vehicle has a high voltage to low voltage energy transfer feature that keeps the 12 volt battery charged by the high voltage battery. If the 12 volt battery level is low, the high voltage battery transfers energy to the 12 volt battery when the vehicle is off. "
Goal achieved!

Ron Bonifas

First Name
Ronbon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS Ford edge Mach e RT1 rapid red
Occupation
Ford service tech
Country flag
Ah but my suppositions are based upon what Ford's plugins have done in the past and thus aren't being completly pulled out of my nether regions.
I remember a reflash for that concern on early energi's. Hopefully Ford has learned much since!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wait? What? The car will let you essentially kill it and not do anything to protect itself? There’s no “battery saver mode”? What genius decided it was more important that my Nintendo switch be fully charged than I actually be able to turn on my car and drive the next day? To me, this is a major design flaw that rivals the front trunk fiasco. You know there will be idiots who will go “glamping” and drag along an inverter so they can run their wine cooler, their blu-ray player and their big-screen TV all night so they can “Netflix and chill”, then wake up the next morning wondering why the start button does absolutely nothing.
Sure, some idiots will overdo it but recharging a half dozen 1200 mAh batteries overnight will not kill that big 12v AGM battery ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That’s great! The Leaf will only charge the 12v of the traction batteries when the car is turned on.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I was just checking the Ford Pass app and realized that the User Manual for the Mustang Mach-E was posted today. Enjoy!
Awesome!
Already read through it over two evenings.
Always love to read and reference the Owner's Manual!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Sure, some idiots will overdo it but recharging a half dozen 1200 mAh batteries overnight will not kill that big 12v AGM battery ?
As long as the car’s “smart” enough to not let some idiot drain the 12V battery on dumb stuff, or worse, drain the HV battery as it recharges the 12V battery while they do dumb stuff (unless they take affirmative action to make this happen, like turning ACC mode on, after the car turns it off).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Ultrasonic sensors don‘t have enough range for that. There are radar sensors in the rear fenders that you can’t see that are used for BLIS and rear cross traffic alerting.
Found the data to back up @generaltso:

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/e...ed-parts/sensor-parking-aid-system-11530079-1

We can see that the ultrasonic sensors are called "parking aid system sensors." The radars hidden behind the front and rear fender corners are there for BLIS, and support cruise control and highway assist.

All of these are in the parts category "Parking Distance Control." A part might be in multiple categories, and not all the information on the site is accurate... But at least this shows you visually where components are located.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E User Owners Manual Now Available! 1606497504779

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/e...ed-parts/sensor-parking-aid-system-11530079-1

We can see that the ultrasonic sensors are called "parking aid system sensors." The radars hidden behind the front and rear fender corners are there for BLIS, and support cruise control and highway assist.

All of these are in the parts category "Parking Distance Control." A part might be in multiple categories, and not all the information on the site is accurate... But at least this shows you visually where components are located.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E User Owners Manual Now Available! 394912
That would indicate there is not a radar sensor behind the middle front panel between the battery cooling shutters. If so, a license plate could cover that panel instead of part of the nose.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
That would indicate there is not a radar sensor behind the middle front panel between the battery cooling shutters. If so, a license plate could cover that panel instead of part of the nose.
This isn't a diagram of EVERY sensor.

There is a radar in between the battery cooling shutters.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It‘s interesting that there are extra radar sensors behind the front bumper at the corners. Those are probably used for the Intersection Assist feature. I guess that means they could add front cross traffic detection at some point if they wanted to.
Sponsored