2021 Premier-New at Dealer or Order 2022 and Wait?

fireman_pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Firefighter
I just had a local dealer call me, and say they have a 2021 Premium AWD available. MSRP is $50,800. It has everything we want, but not our first choice in color (it is black). I am waiting to confirm the price with any dealer ADM or add ons.

I am NOT in any hurry for a MME. Would I be better to place an order for a 2022? We were looking at the 2022 Select AWD with the Conv/Tech package in Rapid Red. MSRP was around $51K. I have a different dealer who will do the order with X-Plan pricing on the 22 Select.

Looking for feedback! Thanks
Sponsored

Ranger Rick

First Name
Ranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 Ranger, 2006 F-250, 14 & 19 Fusion Energi
Occupation
Tax Adminstration
Country flag
With the chip shortage getting worse due to the war in Europe (not to mention that Ukraine produces a lot of the cable harness used by many OEMs), you'd be taking a gamble on seeing your car this year. I'd snap up a 2021 if they had it with no ADM.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hard decision for sure, two factors here. If you donā€™t mind waiting a year for the ā€™22, no problem. And is the ā€˜21 brand new? If it is, itā€™s probably a good deal. You need to make sure it wasnā€™t someone elseā€™s problem child. But I have to agree with Ranger Rick, in that the chip shortage and numerous set backs with the auto industry will add problems getting a car in ā€˜22.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agree with everyone else. I would also add if you do not like the color and that would bother you I would wait. Some people may not mind whatever the color is and in that case I would suggest acquiring it if the price is right.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
Buy now, order now, sell current one when your order comes in. Double your tax credits and there is a strong probability you will come out ahead on the sale. You also get to try the car out and make sure you love it before your long term order arrives.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Buy the 2021. If you really don't like the color, get it wrapped.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
The fact that they are calling you (and assuming it is still available when you get in touch with them), I have a feeling there is either an ADM, mandatory add ons, or it is pre-owned and therefore will not qualify for the tax credit.

However, if none of my suspicions turn out to be true, I would buy it and put in an order for exactly what I wanted once the order banks open again. Itā€™s funny that the dealer told you they would order a ā€˜22 premium model for you when we all know Ford is currently only accepting orders for the Select and GT models.

OP
OP

fireman_pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Firefighter
Hey All. So the MSRP is $50,800, Selling/Asking Price is $59,995. So a ADM of just of $9K. Only dealer add-on is NextTraxx for $795. I am going to pass. NOT willing to pay ADM just to get one now. I will place an order and wait. Thanks for all the feedback. Pete

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Buy now, order now, sell current one when your order comes in. Double your tax credits and there is a strong probability you will come out ahead on the sale. You also get to try the car out and make sure you love it before your long term order arrives.
All things I considered in deciding to purchase a currently-in-transit car while waiting for my order to get a build date. Also, if this car has issues Iā€™ve got another one on the way. If Tax Credits are exhausted before the order comes in, I donā€™t have to get it. The way they are stripping items out of Premiums, I may have essentially the same car with the CR1 in transit.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
"of just $9k".

Hard pass.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Last year's model, $9k ADM, and does not qualify for CVRP of $2k (EPA listed 2021 as "station wagon" and price is over $45k).

Wait for the 2022, when the EPA changed to "SUV" to get that $2k CVRP and no ADM.

Stay away from this dealer.
Sponsored