TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just sent in my reservation for the Ocean. I own Tesla Model S for 7 years and has been following the battery technology since then. The technology is now going through the transition with better chemistry, battery w/o cobalt, solid state and others. They are denser, cheaper with faster charging. I like the Mach E but they use the generic lithium ion battery (not even close to Tesla's version, cost/performance) but it makes sense if Ocean does not have a fixed term contract (3+ years), I can quit the lease anytime I want to and go with another EV using the next gen. battery. I predict by 2014-2015, the 2nd gen battery will be in production and this may be the time the ICE car owners will start buying EV in massive. EV price will be on par with ICE cars. Model S was expensive 7 years ago was due to $200+ per KW battery. Today they are closer to $100/KW, it make a hugh difference in cost.
Agree with most of your points (I presume you meant 2024-2025). Although I'll throw one offset in there -- charging time. I agree with you that we're going to see major growth in BEV market share this decade. I think we could see something like 30% market share by the end of the decade, maybe more as battery density improves and cost comes down.

However, unless charging times improve significantly, that will be a big limiting factor preventing BEVs from reaching 60%... 70%... 80% market share. For the people that don't have their own house and garage to charge overnight, BEV practicality gets much tougher. Then it will track more how well apartments and condos and workplaces can flood their secure parking lots with L2 chargers reserved for their tenants/employees.
Sponsored

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Typo, 2024-2025 of course. I do agree a point on no garage to charge overnight. If you take a look at the solid state battery research in the lab, one can charge 80% in 5-10 minutes, of course, to get to mass production is another story. This is equal to the time it takes to fill up the gas tank. Car owners don't buy cars every year. The survey says new car owners keep their cars 6+ years. Europe & China move fast on EV due to their country's incentives and environmental concerns. US is not so it will take time to phase over. I can tell you one thing, after 7 years of EV ownership, it will be extremely hard for me to move back the ICE driving.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Typo, 2024-2025 of course. I do agree a point on no garage to charge overnight. If you take a look at the solid state battery research in the lab, one can charge 80% in 5-10 minutes, of course, to get to mass production is another story. This is equal to the time it takes to fill up the gas tank. Car owners don't buy cars every year. The survey says new car owners keep their cars 6+ years. Europe & China move fast on EV due to their country's incentives and environmental concerns. US is not so it will take time to phase over. I can tell you one thing, after 7 years of EV ownership, it will be extremely hard for me to move back the ICE driving.
Or close to it, anyway. A gas refuel really only takes about 2 minutes (not counting the nozzle and pay components that apply to both). Still though, 5-10 minutes would be dramatically better than 20-40 minutes. I do wonder if that will ever happen on personal cars though, since we're talking some dangerously high voltage levels to pump in something like 60 kWh in just 5-10 minutes. It's one thing to put that in the hands of professionals, but quite another to put it in the hands of regular Joe's.

The original owner may turn a car over every 6 years on average, but that doesn't represent the lifetime of the car. That's more like 10-15 years. The first owner buys new and drives it for 6 years before selling to the 2nd owner who drives it for another 6 (for example). That's the stat that matters in terms of the total mix of vehicles on the road (vehicle lifetime).

For people that have a house+garage that can easily charge at home, I agree that we'll see tremendous BEV growth in the next 5 years. Especially if it's a 2-car household (1 BEV + 1 ICE or PHEV) where they can use the BEV as the home-base car and take the ICE on road trips. Best of both worlds. That's what I'll be doing. It's the easiest scenario. But for more limiting scenarios, it requires more compromise. I do think the next important implementation hurdle is getting more secure, dependable L2 charging into apartment, condo, and workplace parking lots/garages. That will expand the universe of potential BEV buyers in a practical sense.

I really don't think retail charging stations will become fast enough to be gas station equivalents (i.e. where people will do most of their refueling). It's OK for a rare slow charge, but I don't think most people will put up with that for their regular refueling. Most needs to be "park it and forget it" (like overnight, or at work).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Az MachE

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Ocean looks great, price is great, would like to know more about the interior features, especially at that price point. Lastly, we all probably need to pay off our MME's first, no make that just I need to pay off an MME first.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Per this Motor Trend article, it looks like it "may be assembled on three continents for the American, European, and Chinese markets"
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-fisker-ocean-ev-suv-first-look-review/

It looks great for the price, definitely a boxier styling than the Mach E or the MY. I do like their option of "Force-E (Force Electric) is an extreme off-road package option", towing capability, and the solar panel roof.

It's aimed at a completely different market segment than a Mach E and one that is pretty wide open at this point. The iPace is the closest competitor but the Ocean will out do the iPace in utility.

But where in the world would you get one serviced?
Not sure the I-Pace is a competitor since it is double the price of the Fisker. The Ocean is interesting though, has some unique ideas and is toward the lower cost end of the EV spectrum. I hope they can get into production and have a compelling vehicle.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Price seems not realistic though.
Agreed. It's highly optimistic. They're counting specifically on economy of scale from Volkswagen production of EV platforms, for which they have no contract, and of which VW itself will likely consume the lion's share, at least in the near term, if they pursue mass market EVs.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Agreed. It's highly optimistic. They're counting specifically on economy of scale from Volkswagen production of EV platforms, for which they have no contract.
I wish them the best of luck. For now they are vapor ware.

OP
OP
E55 KEV

E55 KEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Thanks. Article says:

"Fisker projects over one million vehicles will be made from 2022 to 2027."

LOL! That's way overly ambitious! In a 6 year production period they think they will sell 166k vehicles a year. NO WAY!
If you read their investor presentation slide deck, there's a lot of.... horse manure in it.