2022 Kia EV6 electric crossover confirmed for all 50 US states, reservations open June 3

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Clearly a Mach E competitor.

2022 Kia EV6 electric crossover confirmed for all 50 US states, reservations open June 3
avatar-image-for-bengt_100544847_s.jpg

BENGT HALVORSON MAY 19, 2021 5 COMMENTS
View Gallery

2022-kia-ev6_100791951.jpg
2022-kia-ev6_100791950.jpg
2022-kia-ev6_100791949.jpg
2022-kia-ev6_100786826.jpg
2022-kia-ev6_100786825.jpg

The Kia EV6 electric crossover will arrive in 2022 to dealerships across the U.S.

That in itself reflects an important pivot for the brand, indicating it’s taking fully electric models a lot more seriously. Kia has been selling fully electric models in the U.S.—good ones—since 2014, starting with the arrival of the 2015 Soul EV and extending to the present-day Niro EV; but outside a few key markets in 12 states, you might not have even been aware of them.

The 2022 Kia EV6 is closely related to the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and is the first dedicated electric vehicle from the brand, with no sheet metal or platform shared with a combustion-engine vehicle. It not only marks the debut of a new naming convention; it also triggers new branding for Kia in the U.S., now called Kia America.

d-kia-ev6--hyundai-e-pit-fast-charging_100788596_l.jpg
Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 - Hyundai E-Pit fast-charging

Kia still hasn’t announced a base price for the EV6, but it has detailed what you get with the top-of-the-line EV6 First Edition that will reach dealerships first in an allotment of 1,500 for the U.S. With the top dual-motor all-wheel-drive setup and 77.4-kwh battery pack, the First Edition gets an augmented reality head-up display, parking assist, a sunroof, and 14-speaker Meridian audio. Panoramic dual TFT instrument and infotainment screens curve across the top of the dash, and all EV6 versions get a comprehensive set of 21 active safety features.

2022-kia-ev6_100786824_l.jpg
2022 Kia EV6

The EV6 starts a new design direction for Kia. With the new version of Kia’s “tiger face” theme, in front, matched with a very steep windshield pillar but some chunky crossover-like cues down below, it can appear equal parts SUV and sporty coupe. Black wheel arches, 20-inch wheels, and illuminated door sills are also part of the package. Colors exclusive to this version include Urban Yellow with black seats, Steel Gray Matte with black seats, and Glacier with dark green seats.

U.S. versions will get the very speedy charging Kia noted at the car’s international debut, with nearly 70 miles of range added in less than 5 minutes or up to 210 miles added in a 10%-80% charge session potentially taking less than 18 minutes. For the larger 77.4-kwh battery pack, Kia says it can charge at 240V (40 amps) from 10% to 100% in 7 hours and 10 minutes.

The EV6 can become a backup power source with 1.9 kw of output for appliances and tools, or it can charge vehicle-to-vehicle at 1.1 kw—about the same as it would charge on 120V AC.

2022-kia-ev6_100791949_l.jpg
2022 Kia EV6

Kia confirms “up to a targeted 300-mile range” in the U.S. with the larger battery, as well as 0-60 mph times of less than 3.5 seconds for the 576-horsepower GT version that will follow—and, perhaps, be a strong rival for the Tesla Model Y Performance.

The First Edition and other EV6 AWD models with the big battery will make 313 hp and have a 0-60 mph estimate of 5.1 seconds—comparing well to the AWD versions of the Ford Mustang Mach-E, as it does in its overall dimensions. Rear-wheel-drive versions with the bigger battery will make 218 hp, while an entry level version with a smaller 58.0-kwh battery and rear-wheel drive will produce 167 hp.

2022-kia-ev6_100791950_l.jpg
2022 Kia EV6

The EV6 seats five, offers a front trunk (frunk), and has 28 cubic feet of cargo space behind the back seat, expandable to 54 cubic feet with seatback folded. With a 100% vegan interior and all-LED lighting, the EV6 aims to reduce its carbon footprint in multiple aspects.

Initial Kia EV6 models will arrive in the U.S. in early 2022, while the high-performance EV6 GT model arrives in late 2022.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
The specs seem pretty good but I just don't know if I can get around the ugly rear end. Maybe it's that color though, might look better in another color.

Surprising they don't have pricing yet since reservations are only in a couple weeks

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I prefer the MME cosmetics. There are a few things that look promising here though.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I really like this car so far. We own an ICE Kia and are very happy w it.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
I like the car and have said before that if the Ford dealer ticks me off when I go to pick up the GT, I will likely look to buy the EV6 GT. I like the back of the car because they did not follow the norms. Electric vehicles should be giving us new design opportunities and I want to see more and more companies break the mold and do something a bit different.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm really curious on the price points for the EV6. The top trim AWD sounds really decked out with all sorts of stuff. I'm really digging the ventilated seats and Augmented Reality heads up display. The super fast charging is amazing but probably won't be a factor except on road trips beyond 300 miles when you hit down to 10% SoC.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Wonder if customers will have to deal with Kia dealers? No joy there and possibly worse than Ford. They do provide a better warranty (5 years / 60K).

It's a beast, apparently. I didn't see specs on size but I saw a reference to it's wheelbase being the same size as a Telluride. That's probably too large for my taste.

Tech will likely be good, Kia has had some of the best LKAS and ACC for years, and I'm a huge fan of HUD's after having one in my Accord.

There's gonna be a lot of good stuff in the next few years for EV's. No more free ride for Elon and we'll likely all be replacing anything we buy in 3 to 5 years too.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
It will all come down to the price/performance ratio. Looks like there will be a wide range of options regarding range and performance - even more than the Mach E. The lower models with the smaller battery seem slow, while the higher-level ones are very fast.

It could be a worthy competitor to the MME, but I suspect the models with decent performance, range, and features will be pricy.

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
Biggest feature for me is the 77kWh that providers 2kW output for A/C powered appliances.

It's essentially a "mobile" PowerWall for my home in the event of power outages and could power appliances for about 36 straight hours. Would love to have something like this with the MME's 99kWh pack.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Biggest feature for me is the 77kWh that providers 2kW output for A/C powered appliances.

It's essentially a "mobile" PowerWall for my home in the event of power outages and could power appliances for about 36 straight hours. Would love to have something like this with the MME's 99kWh pack.
The bi-directional charging is something that will probably be more and more common on EVs. I think it's inevitable on the MME since the F-150 Lightning offers it.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
my biggest problem with this car is still the slit that they call a rear view window.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
my biggest problem with this car is still the slit that they call a rear view window.
That's my problem with the Model Y also. I don't know what the manufactures are thinking, now that we have EVs people don't need to actually look out their windows ?

I use my rear-view mirror a lot and don't want to rely on a camera or sensor

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
One big positive is the 10 year warranty. Ford stinks with just a 3 year, it should at least be 4. I know though most people will upgrade before the 10, but nice to have, especially with new technology.
Sponsored