Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Ordering for the 2022 model opens up on September 27th, 2021. I'm going to order one, super excited about it. Who's with me?

Does anyone know what time of day orders open up?

How about new colors available, any word on that?
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
We welcome all new 2022 order holders into the grumpy thread to commiserate together as one

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We are ordering that day as well. All the best to you in that endeavor.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think a better way to do this would be to have 2021 existing non-scheduled for production orders update their order the week earlier (or even later) so they keep their place in line and then, open all orders for 2022 on Sep 27th. This would reduce all the extra work needed if people now cancel/re-order the 2022 edition.

I don't think they will be building 2021s in February of next year anyways, but people need some time to re-pick colors/options if they are different.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
I think a better way to do this would be to have 2021 existing non-scheduled for production orders update their order the week earlier (or even later) so they keep their place in line and then, open all orders for 2022 on Sep 27th. This would reduce all the extra work needed if people now cancel/re-order the 2022 edition.

I don't think they will be building 2021s in February of next year anyways, but people need some time to re-pick colors/options if they are different.
If it rolls off the line in 2022 then it is not permitted to be called a 2021 vehicle.

I changed my order from Cal Route 1 to Premium AWD ER about six weeks after the initial order; my order date stayed the same despite the configuration change. One might hope that the transition from 2021 to 2022 MY would be managed similarly and that dealers could update the thousands of existing unfilled orders while retaining the original order dates.

Or I keep driving the vehicle that I bought new in 2008 for another 13 years.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If it rolls off the line in 2022 then it is not permitted to be called a 2021 vehicle.

I changed my order from Cal Route 1 to Premium AWD ER about six weeks after the initial order; my order date stayed the same despite the configuration change. One might hope that the transition from 2021 to 2022 MY would be managed similarly and that dealers could update the thousands of existing unfilled orders while retaining the original order dates.

Or I keep driving the vehicle that I bought new in 2008 for another 13 years.

Is it possible to change configs online? I didn't see that, but that'd be ideal.

Best case is we get a notice that 2021 is not available, but we can reorder a 2022 and keep our position in line without a price hike if we order the same/similar stuff, just the 2022 model.

Something like an edit function on the ford.com site.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Permitted? Permitted by whom?
Note: Not an attorney, just someone who knows how to find things that are sometimes true. :)

Found on www.law.cornell.edu:

40 CFR § 85.2303 Duration of model year.​
A specific model year must always include January 1 of the calendar year for which it is designated and may not include a January 1 of any other calendar year. Thus, the maximum duration of a model year is one calendar year plus 364 days.​

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it possible to change configs online? I didn't see that, but that'd be ideal.

Best case is we get a notice that 2021 is not available, but we can reorder a 2022 and keep our position in line without a price hike if we order the same/similar stuff, just the 2022 model.

Something like an edit function on the ford.com site.
My configuration change in July had to be done through the dealer, but within a day it was reflected in my online account. Not that I can see my order online now.

I will ping on the dealer in another week or two to attempt to avoid falling through the cracks. Never assume, and never accept unreferenced online assertions as fact. :)

Sagacity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT/PE, 2015 Limited Edition Mustang GT 0146
Occupation
Network Administrator
Country flag
Has there been any word on color choices for 2022? I saw a leak for the Mustangs and they are getting a few new colors like oil slick purple and some others that look kinda cool.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Note: Not an attorney, just someone who knows how to find things that are sometimes true. :)
40 CFR § 85.2303 Duration of model year.
Thank you for looking it up! I am also not an attorney, but that definition is for purposes of testing compliance with the Clean Air Act, and would not regulate consumer marketing usage of the term "model year".

If we really do have federal law telling us exactly how we need to number a car's model year, that would be a clear harbinger of the end time...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If Ford offers a better blue or a real white I might be persuaded to ditch my 2021 reservation for a 2022. My mom already isn’t going to get her death ride so I might as well get a color I actually like. Otherwise, if I’m stuck with the awful color palette I will stay with my 2021 reservation that I don’t like.

mfbrown

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Prem, RWD, ER; 2023 MME Prem, RWD, ER
Country flag
Thank you for looking it up! I am also not an attorney, but that definition is for purposes of testing compliance with the Clean Air Act, and would not regulate consumer marketing usage of the term "model year".

If we really do have federal law telling us exactly how we need to number a car's model year, that would be a clear harbinger of the end time...
It may be a clean air act driven function, but there doesn't need to be two systems for establishing model years, so it is probably the only one. It also makes sense. A 2022 can come out anytime starting Jan 2, 2021 through Dec 31, 2022. This is consistent with seeing 2022 models as early as June 2021 on some new cars.

The net takeaway is that I'm sure they cannot make a 2021 after Jan 1, 2022. But they CAN make a 2021 through Dec 31, 2021! :(

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
It may be a clean air act driven function, but there doesn't need to be two systems for establishing model years, so it is probably the only one. It also makes sense. A 2022 can come out anytime starting Jan 2, 2021 through Dec 31, 2022. This is consistent with seeing 2022 models as early as June 2021 on some new cars.

The net takeaway is that I'm sure they cannot make a 2021 after Jan 1, 2022. But they CAN make a 2021 through Dec 31, 2021! :(
As someone who drove a 2017 Highlander in 2016 - the below is a more thorough description of the law and reasoning

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-model-years-arent-in-sync-with-the-calendar/
Sponsored