Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
She was a looker, alright.
thanks.

"he" (the stage 1) was an absolute monster though. the crank was balanced, the piston arms were balanced, every rotating part was weighted or balanced. it was a ridiculous torque machine. a "stump puller" is what we called it. he went to the machine shop the evening i bought it. belle cam came in, the roller lifters, exhaust. what times...

i kinda want another big block.
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Why all you people who are "waiting for a 22 to be available" to order, won't order now and wait for the eventual conversion of a 21 to a 22.
Despite the probability of at best a late summer or early autumn 2022 delivery, I'm waiting for multiple reasons:
  • I really want a Mustang with the bigger battery, a road-trip worthy range (300+ miles), RWD, 18" wheels, and a metal roof. That's not available in the 2021 selection.
  • I want a Mustang that's not painted the same color as every other car out there (not silver, beige, black, or white). I really wish they had been brave enough to go with the 1964 colors updated to today's paint process; I would love a Tropical Turquoise, Pagoda Green, Prairie Bronze, or Phoenician Yellow Mustang.
  • I don't know if what I want will be available in 2022, but I'm willing to wait and see.
  • I would have purchased one that didn't meet all my desires a month or so ago, but the dealers were all asking way over MSRP and...just no; I'm not going to pay more than X-Plan/MSRP for a vehicle I'm not 100% in love with, and certainly not $5-$15k more.
  • I was late to the decision about getting the Mustang. It wasn't until I'd seen one in person that my mind was changed, so I'm already going to wait. A little longer wait won't be an issue.
  • I haven't been able to test drive one yet, so I don't have a burning need to own one ASAP.
  • I've reserved an F150 Lightning and that has more utility to my particular household than an SUV does, so if the F150 is fine for DW to drive around town, then that may mean waiting even longer so we have the opportunity to compare the Kia EV6 with the Mustang.
  • I love Mustang; grew up rebuilding V8 pony cars, and I love the EV nature, and the look of the new Mustang, but I don't "need" it now.

‘64 GTO

First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘64GTO, ‘73 280Z,’ 92 Miata, 2004 PT Cruiser
Occupation
Ret. Financial Advisor
Country flag
I'd give my left kidney for a red more similar to the current Mazda red. In photos they look fairly similar. In person is a whole different story!
My Rapid Red was just in The Automotive Classic car show on the Central California coast and she was a fabulous attention getter. Everyone commented on the gorgeous color among other things. Everyone loved this car and we had so much fun showing Scarlet off and talking to people and answering questions!

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
that may mean waiting even longer so we have the opportunity to compare the Kia EV6 with the Mustang.
I got the opportunity to sit in an EV6 earlier this month at the Electrify Expo - couldn't drive it. Its nice, but I'm not sure it has the wow of the MMe. Its a little behind in the technology, self driving, etc - but it was probably my favorite car at the show.

It shares a feature, at first glance, with the F150 Lightning in that you can use it as a backup power source for your home in a power failure - kind of... With the Ford truck they install an Emergency Transfer Switch That takes your house off the grid in a power failure and can pretty much power the whole kit and kaboodle, within reason. On the Kia - its not automatic and its not the whole house. They give you an adapter that you plug into the car that you can then plug an extension cord into and run your refrigerator, or some lights and your TV, but just one extension cord. That's cool - but the F150 is a super utilitarian monster compared to a nice electric car. Think of the EV6 as Better than a Bolt or an ID4 for most people and you'll be on track - but its not going to outshine the Ford products.

Electrify America should have the cars when it goes to Miami and Austin coming up if you want a peek, my understand is that these are the only EV6 in the US.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suspect any order today (9/30 I mean) will be delivered after Ford has surpassed 200K units and the car will no longer qualify for the full $7500 tax credit (I think it is phased out the next two quarters?). Might actually be cheaper to pay over MSRP if this happens.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I suspect any order today (9/30 I mean) will be delivered after Ford has surpassed 200K units and the car will no longer qualify for the full $7500 tax credit (I think it is phased out the next two quarters?). Might actually be cheaper to pay over MSRP if this happens.
This is definitely something to take into consideration. I'm confused about the tax credit - does it end with the calendar year of 2021 or after 200k cars? Anyone know how many MME's have been built thus far?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is definitely something to take into consideration. I'm confused about the tax credit - does it end with the calendar year of 2021 or after 200k cars? Anyone know how many MME's have been built thus far?
It's complicated... it gets phased out over a few quarters after the manufacturer hits 200K EVs. The 200K number includes ALL EVs that Ford has produced (Focus EV, Escape plug-in, MME, etc) and soon the Lightning (which will blow the numbers past 200K). The estimate is sometime Q2/Q3 2022 Ford will hit that number and the tax credit is phased out.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

"Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period."

So it seems we might get 50% if the car is delivered late 2022.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
It's complicated... it gets phased out over a few quarters after the manufacturer hits 200K EVs. The 200K number includes ALL EVs that Ford has produced (Focus EV, Escape plug-in, MME, etc) and soon the Lightning (which will blow the numbers past 200K). The estimate is sometime Q2/Q3 2022 Ford will hit that number and the tax credit is phased out.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

"Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period."

So it seems we might get 50% if the car is delivered late 2022.
Slight correction - it is the number of EVs sold in the US. Deliveries outside of the country (Europe/Canada/etc.) don't count against the total.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag

It's impossible to predict what will happen. Congress is also trying to change the credit to apply again to Tesla/GM as well so if a Tesla MY or M3 can be 7500 less, some folks may opt for that as well since it puts the Model Y now at ~43k (assuming no price changes). The 200k units now wouldn't matter to Ford at that point.

It's been known car makers tweak their pricing based on tax incentives so prices may go up (or down) if Ford loses some of the 7500 full credit as well (Tesla and GM did with the Bolt and Tesla did it in Canada).

Also, the reduction works like this I think. If Ford sells their 200k vehicle on July 1st, 2022, then the reduction starts at the end of the 2nd quarter after the quarter it hits that number. This means everything sold through Dec 31st, 2022 will still get the full 7500 credit. This was why Tesla rushed production and was building cars outside/non-stop when they were about to lose the credit...

I think pretty much every ICE car and EV has a very long wait and this doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon (maybe more like 2+ years or longer) and that's assuming we don't have another 'shock' event (conflicts with China, another variant, etc).

The positive is there are a lot of 'announced' EVs coming in 2022 so by the end of 2022, we may have more options for people who don't want to wait (or wait in multiple lines to see what shows up first).

I always share this link since this is direct from the IRS on how many cars were built related to the credit...It's not updated yet for June 2021 though:
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit-quarterly-sales

Last edited:

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I got the opportunity to sit in an EV6 earlier this month at the Electrify Expo - couldn't drive it. Its nice, but I'm not sure it has the wow of the MMe. Its a little behind in the technology, self driving, etc - but it was probably my favorite car at the show.
I don't have much interest in the self-driving gimmick (my opinion, not interested in a debate on this thread-perhaps elsewhere).
We make a road trip between NorAZ and NorCal a few times a year and want an EV that will allow me to make that trip in approximately the same time and with approximately the same comfort that I've been doing it for the last 15 years.

It shares a feature, at first glance, with the F150 Lightning in that you can use it as a backup power source for your home in a power failure - kind of... With the Ford truck they install an Emergency Transfer Switch That takes your house off the grid in a power failure and can pretty much power the whole kit and kaboodle, within reason.
Yeah, this is one of the features we're planning for with the F150 Lightning.

No way the Kia is an alternative for the truck, just possibly an alternative to the Mustang (obviously not a feature-for-feature alternative).

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Not trolling, but am genuinely curious.

Why all you people who are "waiting for a 22 to be available" to order, won't order now and wait for the eventual conversion of a 21 to a 22.
Leasing residuals. Even if nothing changes, at the end of the lease the value of a 21 vs 22 may come into play on lease return. If something does change (more range, bold new features, etc), the less desirable 21 will take another hit.

redranger04g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME SR RWD Ice White, 2015 Ford F-150
Country flag
Dealer just told me I can order but it will come as a 2022. I don't know how that will work as it's my understanding all ordering is closed until 9/30. Not sure if they are trying to get me through the door or can take down my order to place as soon as they can.

I did confirm X-Plan is accepted and no ADM... all will be in writing.

JB20

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Country flag
Dealer just told me I can order but it will come as a 2022. I don't know how that will work as it's my understanding all ordering is closed until 9/30. Not sure if they are trying to get me through the door or can take down my order to place as soon as they can.

I did confirm X-Plan is accepted and no ADM... all will be in writing.
It will come as a 2022 since 2021 is closed. Dealers are taking orders based off 2021 data and will enter them when the order bank opens. They should be contacting customers prior to submitting to confirm everything is correct as well as pricing. I would think they would hold off on a deposit until the order is confirmed.

redranger04g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME SR RWD Ice White, 2015 Ford F-150
Country flag
It will come as a 2022 since 2021 is closed. Dealers are taking orders based off 2021 data and will enter them when the order bank opens. They should be contacting customers prior to submitting to confirm everything is correct as well as pricing. I would think they would hold off on a deposit until the order is confirmed.
That makes sense. Thanks for the response. Want to get my 2022 order in as soon as I can to give me the best chance of getting the $7500 rebate.
Sponsored