bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
So.... I ordered a 2022 Mach-E Select AWD and I am likely going to be one of the last people to get mine. I likely would have ordered a Premium with the extended battery if they had not closed out orders on the Premium already, but I figured that 224 miles of range would be fine especially since outlets like Edmunds.com were reporting that Mustang Mach-E was typically getting 30 miles better than the EPA estimated range since Ford went conservative on it.

So I figured in the "Whisper" driver mode I should be able to pull off 250 miles of range in the car. But I pulled up next to a Cyber Orange Mach-E yesterday at a red light and the vehicle still had its temporary dealer plates on it. It turns out, it was a Select AWD. The driver had his window down so I asked how he liked the car. He loved it -- especially the instant torque. But he said he was getting about 200 miles of range.

Now the light turned green before I had a chance to ask if he was really over-enjoying the instant torque or if he was driving in Whisper, Engage or Unbridled mode, but 200 miles seemed kinda low -- especially for a warm weather climate like we have hear in Las Vegas.

So I was wondering what kind of range other owners of the 2022 Select AWD MME were getting?
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I live in the mid Atlantic region. Full charge, 225-235 summer, 175-180 winter on the GOM, though it has been pretty accurate for me. Mixed driving.

I love everything about the car except the range. If you are driving exclusively city, you might get 240-250 if you drive like grandma.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I would venture I could get between 140 miles or 300 based on how I drive, no exaggeration. I get about 200 though. My sister gets over 30mpg in her 4 door wrangler, it's all about how you drive.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I had one, a 2021 AWD Select. Highway summer 70-72 mph 211-220 miles. Off highway summer under 60 MPH consistent 240-258 miles. mild winter 30’s-40’s, 140-170 cold winter 0’s to 30, 110-150 miles.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I really think it's unlikely to get 250 realistically, without taking chances that I wouldn't take. I have a 2021 Select AWD. I expect 200 miles realistically in close to perfect conditions, but I drive like a bat out of hell. May I ask why you want 250, and if having 200 only will stop you? Do you have home charging?

OP
OP

bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I really think it's unlikely to get 250 realistically, without taking chances that I wouldn't take. I have a 2021 Select AWD. I expect 200 miles realistically in close to perfect conditions, but I drive like a bat out of hell. May I ask why you want 250, and if having 200 only will stop you? Do you have home charging?
I was hoping I could make short trips from Las Vegas to Los Angeles / Disneyland area with only stopping once for charging. I know highway driving is going to be worse than city, but a combined range of 250 seems to be the minimum for that trip on ABetterRouterPlanner.com. When I plot that trip using a 62kwh Nissan Leaf or a 2022 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD, it always plans for 2 charging stops. But I was assuming ABRP was using the EPA estimated range and I was hoping the Edmunds "real world test" of getting 30 miles more than the estimated range would mean only one stop.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
You'll want to factor battery degradation if you're planning how you're going to max out your range. As you drive, you will absolutely lose some capacity.

By way of example, I've lost about 13% of my original battery capacity on my Model 3 over the course of 60K miles / nearly 4 years. (so rated max range from 310 > 270) Most of the loss was in the first couple years before it begun to level off. This isn't outside normal parameters at all.

I don't know specifically about the Ford battery, but I imagine it's not significantly different from all the others.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
So.... I ordered a 2022 Mach-E Select AWD and I am likely going to be one of the last people to get mine. I likely would have ordered a Premium with the extended battery if they had not closed out orders on the Premium already, but I figured that 224 miles of range would be fine especially since outlets like Edmunds.com were reporting that Mustang Mach-E was typically getting 30 miles better than the EPA estimated range since Ford went conservative on it.

So I figured in the "Whisper" driver mode I should be able to pull off 250 miles of range in the car. But I pulled up next to a Cyber Orange Mach-E yesterday at a red light and the vehicle still had its temporary dealer plates on it. It turns out, it was a Select AWD. The driver had his window down so I asked how he liked the car. He loved it -- especially the instant torque. But he said he was getting about 200 miles of range.

Now the light turned green before I had a chance to ask if he was really over-enjoying the instant torque or if he was driving in Whisper, Engage or Unbridled mode, but 200 miles seemed kinda low -- especially for a warm weather climate like we have hear in Las Vegas.

So I was wondering what kind of range other owners of the 2022 Select AWD MME were getting?
Never ask someone who says “This things got a lot of TORQUE!” , about Range. Lol!

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
You'll want to factor battery degradation if you're planning how you're going to max out your range. As you drive, you will absolutely lose some capacity.

By way of example, I've lost about 13% of my original battery capacity on my Model 3 over the course of 60K miles / nearly 4 years. (so rated max range from 310 > 270) Most of the loss was in the first couple years before it begun to level off. This isn't outside normal parameters at all.

I don't know specifically about the Ford battery, but I imagine it's not significantly different from all the others.
Wow, thats alot of degradation, did you supercharge alot? My First Gen Leaf was older, and had more miles and only lost 8%, although it was exclusively charged with a Level 2, but always to 100%

OP
OP

bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Wow, thats alot of degradation, did you supercharge alot? My First Gen Leaf was older, and had more miles and only lost 8%, although it was exclusively charged with a Level 2, but always to 100%
That is pretty much how I charge my 2019 Nissan Leaf and we are nearly up to 34K miles. It is still showing 100% battery capacity on the dash, but the OBD2 readout shows 90% SOH. So far I have apparently burned through my over-provisioning since it supposedly loses its first "bar" of battery health at 85% SOH. Nissan does not make it easy to charge to only 80% or 90% since you have to do the math on setting the timer to stop charging, but it does slow down the charging curve when the battery warms up and if you leave it plugged in it seems smart enough not to keep trying to push it to 100%. If I don't drive it for a week because we are out of town, I come back to a battery that is like 97% charged even though it has been plugged in.

The Mach-E would be our second electric car. The Leaf gets between 130 and 145 miles of range for me typically. The long-range Leaf Plus gets about 220, but in real world driving that is probably closer to 200. Was hoping the Mach-E would get more than that -- but as always it seems its all about how you drive it.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I was hoping I could make short trips from Las Vegas to Los Angeles / Disneyland area with only stopping once for charging. I know highway driving is going to be worse than city, but a combined range of 250 seems to be the minimum for that trip on ABetterRouterPlanner.com. When I plot that trip using a 62kwh Nissan Leaf or a 2022 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD, it always plans for 2 charging stops. But I was assuming ABRP was using the EPA estimated range and I was hoping the Edmunds "real world test" of getting 30 miles more than the estimated range would mean only one stop.
Edmunds test isn’t a good benchmark for the trip you want to take. They drove the EVs at 65mph on a flat track. The speed limit on the 15 between LA and Las Vegas is 70mph and traffic regularly moves well over 80mph with multiple mountain climbs and descents, often with some crosswinds. You will definitely get noticeably less range than they did.

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

We purchased the Premium AWD extended range and we're right at 300 miles per charge but after having the car if I was ordering another one I would probably go with standard cause all of our charging since first of May has all been at home haven't used one other charging source since purchase of the Mach e. Hopeful this helps

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
I've only used a supercharger a handful of times. And only to 100% before leaving for a few roadtrips. Normal charging is L2 to 80%.

Obviously every battery is different, and some will experience more degradation and some less, but the fact that all batteries will suffer from some level is my point.

OP
OP

bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Edmunds test isn’t a good benchmark for the trip you want to take. They drove the EVs at 65mph on a flat track. The speed limit on the 15 between LA and Las Vegas is 70mph and traffic regularly moves well over 80mph with multiple mountain climbs and descents, often with some crosswinds. You will definitely get noticeably less range than they did.
Good point... Having a Nissan Leaf with only 150 EPA estimated range, I have yet to do a road trip in an electric. I'm guessing I will get plenty of regeneration as I descend the mountain climbs (especially approaching Baker, CA), but the energy use on the way up is going to still hurt.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP

bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I had one, a 2021 AWD Select. Highway summer 70-72 mph 211-220 miles. Off highway summer under 60 MPH consistent 240-258 miles. mild winter 30’s-40’s, 140-170 cold winter 0’s to 30, 110-150 miles.
If I got this kind of range (especially given the 2022 opens up a bit more of the battery capacity for use) then I would be happy. 200 seemed kinda low -- but the guy who told me that just got his car and I am betting the instant acceleration was still a novelty.
Sponsored