Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
I just got my 2022 ME GT and in the bag was a device that looked like a wall mounted charger and had 2 adapter cables - one for regular 120 v AC outlet and the other I assume is the larger 240v? plug. Is this Ford charger good enough to have mounted on the wall? Is it a level 2 charger? If not, what would be the best bang for the buck wall charger for the ME GT?

Can one get a level 3 charger at home? If so, what device would I need for that? or is a level 3 charger at home cost prohibited?
Sponsored

Rob S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2022 MME GT Star White
Country flag
The one that comes with the car is a level 1 charger. For home, look into a level 2 charger, as it will charge faster (7 to 9 times faster than the level 1).

Some brands to look at are the JuiceBox and the Chargepoint. I just went through this exercise this past week, and ended up getting the chargepoint, on a 60 amp circuit. It will charge my MME at 48 amps, which would charge the car fully from 0%to 100% in about 10 hours.

Check with your local utility to see if there are any rebates for the charger. Here in NY, my utility gives a $400 rebate on either of the above brands. Also, the install of a home charger qualifies for a 30% federal tax credit, up to $1,000 credit.

Good luck fellow newbie!

JcMarin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GT, Mustang EcoBoost, F-Type
Occupation
Telecom
Country flag
I just got my 2022 ME GT and in the bag was a device that looked like a wall mounted charger and had 2 adapter cables - one for regular 120 v AC outlet and the other I assume is the larger 240v? plug. Is this Ford charger good enough to have mounted on the wall? Is it a level 2 charger? If not, what would be the best bang for the buck wall charger for the ME GT?

Can one get a level 3 charger at home? If so, what device would I need for that? or is a level 3 charger at home cost prohibited?
Looks like you have some basic research to do with your new EV :rolleyes:

You can search the forum for a wealth of information on your questions ,but here is the basics of it:

• The included charger you have can be used with 120v (level 1) or 240 (level 2)
  • If used as a Level 1 it will take forever to charge the car, an hour @ 120v will only add around 3 miles of range. If you don't drive much (lets say you use only 20% of battery daily) you can live with L1 and use L3 public stations when you need more, bit L3 is much more expensive
  • To use as Level 2 you need a 240v outlet (usually NEMA 14-50) with at least 40amps*, that will charge your car overnight (or 3-4 hours if you just need to top it off)
  • Yes, you can use the included charger as your main charger but some on these forum have had issues using as their daily charger, its probably best used as a portable charger, but you can certainly start with that
  • No, you can't install a level 3 charger @ home, they are DC Chargers

* The Ford included charger is a 32a L2 charger so it needs the 40a circuit, but if you are going to install a 240v circuit go for a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 as most "wall" L2 chargers will be able to charge up to 40-48 amps

Last edited:

JcMarin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GT, Mustang EcoBoost, F-Type
Occupation
Telecom
Country flag
The one that comes with the car is a level 1 charger.

That is incorrect, its both a L1/L2 Charger, to use as L2 you need of course to use the included cable and plug into a 240v circuit with at least 40a as it is a 32 amps L2 charger (NEMA 15-50 plug)

Rob S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2022 MME GT Star White
Country flag
That is incorrect, its both a L1/L2 Charger, to use as L2 you need of course to use the included cable and plug into a 240v circuit with at least 40a as it is a 32 amps L2 charger (NEMA 15-50 plug)
You are correct. My mistake.

OP
OP
Darkenmage

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
TY all for the feedback.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
There are some people who seem to have good luck with the EVSE included with the MME, but many have problems with it overheating. Mine works fine when it is cool or cold, but in the summer it overheats especially when 240V charging.

I highly recommended getting a direct wired EVSE installed that is capable of delivering 48 Amps, the maximum L2 charging speed of the MME. You will never regret being able to charge faster, but you might regret charging slower.

JamesStew71

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
The one that comes with the car is a level 1 charger. For home, look into a level 2 charger, as it will charge faster (7 to 9 times faster than the level 1).

Some brands to look at are the JuiceBox and the Chargepoint. I just went through this exercise this past week, and ended up getting the chargepoint, on a 60 amp circuit. It will charge my MME at 48 amps, which would charge the car fully from 0%to 100% in about 10 hours.

Check with your local utility to see if there are any rebates for the charger. Here in NY, my utility gives a $400 rebate on either of the above brands. Also, the install of a home charger qualifies for a 30% federal tax credit, up to $1,000 credit.

Good luck fellow newbie!
I purchased the Grizzl-e had their tech set dip switches to 32 amps, wife uses her car to 30ish percent then charges till 85. Charger turns on 11pm done 3:45am - I still find it hard to believe some folks take so very long to charge at higher amps( seems weird) 50amp breaker 6/4 wire 32 amp set / works perfect

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

No, you cannot install a level 3 charger at home. The transformer powering your home cannot support it.

The trim of your car is irrelevant. The Mach-E can charge at a max of 48amps, 11.5kW.

As noted, your utility company MAY provide a discount or rebate for specific brands/models. Mine gave me $500 for installing a JuiceBox charger. I installed a 48amp model, but those are very hard to find. Most find that a 40amp charger is more than sufficient.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
No, you cannot install a level 3 charger at home. The transformer powering your home cannot support it.
I agree. But!

But if you can get the power company to install a commercial 3 phase power line to your house, you can install a DCFC pump. I am only guessing regarding the cost, but I expect total cost would exceed $20,000. I'm in! 🤣

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2022 ME GT Home Charger?! Screenshot_20221009-112507_Drive

Hardy1-76

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E-GT Performance
Occupation
Director
Country flag
I love the ford connected charger - it is adjustable like others, but i like that the analytics of it integrate with the ford pass app. So one single app for car and charger.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I love the ford connected charger - it is adjustable like others, but i like that the analytics of it integrate with the ford pass app. So one single app for car and charger.
So glad to hear you're loving your Mach-E's features!
Sponsored