2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
image.jpg

Subaru Solterra vs Mustang Mach-E
021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-front-side-view-from-above.jpg

Official reveal:
https://www.subaru.com/solterra-ev?reason=livestream

AlexOnAutos first look:

We'll have to wait for full specs, but Subaru are promising only 220 miles of range and 80% fast charge in under an hour. Pretty underwhelming in comparison to the already year-old Mach-E. I will admit it's nice to see a BEV coming onto the market with >8" of clearance and a roof rack, but the lack of a front trunk is disappointing.

This also has me appreciating the simplicity and cohesion in the Mustang's interior/exterior design. Looks like Subaru may have taken cues from the Mach-E front end?

blazinazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER AWD Premium
Country flag
The Solterra is overall pretty disappointing. Low power, pretty standard range, no front trunk, literally a badge swap of the Toyota, interesting choices like not having a glove box, the terrible gloss black plastic that's all over the center console that will get so dirty and scratched.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
This is a compliance car if I ever saw one

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
I honestly like it, ive owned a few subaru's and this is in keeping with their looks and methodology. nothing over the top fancy, just a good quality build with standard features.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
No frunk results in no interest.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I would guess Subaru pushed Toyota in this joint venture model. Toyota has been fighting tooth and nail against EVs so it's not terribly surprising they'd make a lackluster model. It's too bad because Subaru had an opportunity here but Toyota squandered it. Or at least that's my interpretation of the result based on my distaste for Toyota.

OP
OP
ebeponyan

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I honestly like it, ive owned a few subaru's and this is in keeping with their looks and methodology. nothing over the top fancy, just a good quality build with standard features.
I think there is an appeal here (ex-Subaru driver as well). An EV crossover with some utility is a welcome sight, and I expect to see more than a few of these on (and off) the road here in the PNW. Subaru has a loyal following that has been begging for a BEV for years now.

I have to question though- how far is that 220 miles really going to take me going up into the mountains with skis on my roof in freezing temperatures? And if there does happen to be an EA station in town after the pass, 1 hour to 80% (176mi on the GOM) is not competitive with the current generation (216 in ~48 for the Mach-E 4x or 210 in ~18 for the EV6). Hopefully these are conservative estimates from Subaru. I guess we'll see.

OP
OP
ebeponyan

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would guess Subaru pushed Toyota in this joint venture model. Toyota has been fighting tooth and nail against EVs so it's not terribly surprising they'd make a lackluster model. It's too bad because Subaru had an opportunity here but Toyota squandered it. Or at least that's my interpretation of the result based on my distaste for Toyota.
I think their success in this partnership was dependent on Toyota putting real effort and investment into a car/technology that they appear to have little interest in. In that sense, maybe they set themselves up for disappointment.

On the other hand, maybe I should just wait to see how many of these are made and sold. These are two strong brands even if the cars don't seem to measure up to the rest of the EV market.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I owned a RAV-4 once, but it had a Toyota badge on it. I've owned several Subarus, but this isn't a Subaru.
Sponsored