Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I just ran across this and thought you'd be interested: on Inside Evs. 285 mi : 100%--0% at 70 mph

2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium: InsideEVs 70 MPH Range Test
The Mach-E proves once again it's one of the longest-range EVs in its segment.
ford-mustang-mach-e-range-test.jpg

Ford dropped us off a 2023 Mach-E Premium equipped with the new BlueCruise 1.2 to check out how the new features improve the system that had already been awarded Best ADAS system by Consumer Reports. And since we had the car for a week, we figured it was time to give the Mach-E another go at the InsideEVs 70-mile-per-hour range test.

We already conducted our 70 mph range tests on the same spec Mach-E in 2021, but since then Ford has made some efficiency updates and has also opened up 3 more kWh of the battery pack to boost the usable capacity from 88 kWh to 91 kWh. In that range test, the Mach-E ended up going 285 miles before we exhausted the pack.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2023 Mach-E Premium 70MPH Range Test by InsideEVs ford-mustang-mach-e-range-test

A 2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E in Cyber Orange
The vehicle we tested in 2021 had a combined EPA range rating of 270 miles, and a highway EPA rating of 249 miles. With the improvements that Ford has made, the same spec Mustang Mach-E (AWD with the extended range battery pack) now has a combined EPA range rating of 290 miles and a highway rating of 268 miles.

InsideEVs 70 MPH Range Tests

We also had the opportunity to conduct our 70 mph range tests on an all-wheel-drive standard range Mach-E and a rear-wheel-drive California Route 1 trim. The standard-range Mach-E went 216 miles, and the California Route 1 test ended with 287 miles on the trip gauge when the battery was depleted.

Segment Of The TestAverage ConsumptionMiles DrivenTotal Miles
100% to 75%3.07171
75% to 50%3.172143
50% to 25%3.170213
25% to 0%3.172285
Surprisingly, our test mirrored the first test we did with an AWD extended-range Mach-E and ended with the same result: 285 miles driven. We were expecting to best our first test since the 2023 Mach-E we tested has 20 more miles or EPA-rated range.

However, it was slightly colder in this test than it was when we did the first one. When started out in the morning, it was in the upper 50s, and for most of the test, the temperature was in the mid-60s. When we range-tested the vehicle in 2021, it was perfect range weather as the temperature was in the 70s for the whole drive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2023 Mach-E Premium 70MPH Range Test by InsideEVs {filename}

The consumption rate was 3.1 miles-per-kilowatt-hour, slightly worse than the 3.3 mi/kWh we observed in our first test. Both vehicles were equipped with the same tires and had similar miles on the odometer when they were tested. We set the tires to the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure and we always place the vehicle in the most efficient driving mode offered. In the case of the Mach-E, that's the Whisper driving mode.

There was one more difference in the two tests that may have accounted for the part of why the 2023 Mach-E with a longer EPA-rated range didn't beat the 2021 car. That was the fact that in the first test, we didn't use climate control because the temperature was so that we didn't need it.

However, back when we conducted that test, we were still developing our set testing procedure for the 70 mph range tests, and we hadn't included climate use at the time. Shortly after we did that test, we adopted the policy that in all of our range tests, we would have the climate control set to somewhere between 68° and 70° Fahrenheit and on the lowest fan setting available - just enough to keep us comfortable.

We had to make that change once we realized we'd be conducting these tests year-round, and not using climate control during some tests wouldn't be possible. That, plus the colder temperature during the test likely were the two main reasons the new Mach-E didn't outperform the older version in the tests.

About our highway range tests:

We always like to mention that these range tests aren't perfect. There are variables out of our control, like wind, traffic, topography, and weather. However, we do our best to control what we can.

We conduct these 70-mph range tests to provide another data point for potential customers that are looking for as much information on the driving range of a particular EV as they can get.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
TLDR, he got 285 miles, basically exactly the same as the last test with the 2021 even though it was 10-15ºF colder and slightly windier. Indicated consumption was also slightly less, 3.1 mi/kWh compared to 3.3 last time. That would point to a slight improvement in usable range (about 5 kWh) compared to the 2021.

p-zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E4X
Country flag
TLDR, he got 285 miles, basically exactly the same as the last test with the 2021 even though it was 10-15ºF colder and slightly windier. Indicated consumption was also slightly less, 3.1 mi/kWh compared to 3.3 last time. That would point to a slight improvement in usable range (about 5 kWh) compared to the 2021.
An inidicated consumption of 3.1mi/kWh vs 3.3mi/kWh means a decrease in usable range as you're going fewer miles on the same amount of power by .2 miles.

OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
An inidicated consumption of 3.1mi/kWh vs 3.3mi/kWh means a decrease in usable range as you're going fewer miles on the same amount of power by .2 miles.
I wouldn't consider that difference to be meaningful in light of what we know these days about how temps, wind, etc. affect efficiency.

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
The 3kWh that were added are well known to have been added below 0%, so you may not even see them in this test if you stop when it hits 0%. It's known the 2022/23 MMEs can go 20-25 miles past 0%.

Reactions: SWO

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
It's always well known that Tesla perform well below EPA range (5-20%). Are they somehow exploiting the EPA system or being disingenuous? Do we have battery-gate on our hands where the car runs more efficient when it knows it is being tested?

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
I wish someone would do one of these range videos with a Standard Range Mach-E, like the one I'm getting. That would be helpful.

OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's always well known that Tesla perform well below EPA range (5-20%). Are they somehow exploiting the EPA system or being disingenuous? Do we have battery-gate on our hands where the car runs more efficient when it knows it is being tested?
No. While I don't entirely understand the process there are options as to how an EV manufacturer can run the tests and the number of cycles. Tesla uses the longest number of cycles (IIRC) that gives them the most liberal estimates of their range.

Hopefully someone else here can expand on this.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Tesla and Volvo use the EPA 5 Cycle test, which tends to produce favorable range numbers. The other manufacturers use the 2 cycle test, which tends to be more conservative. Insideevs mentioned this on one of their podcasts from 2022.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I wish someone would do one of these range videos with a Standard Range Mach-E, like the one I'm getting. That would be helpful.
Insideevs did the same test for the 2021 SR Mach E. Your 2023 should be the same/slightly better bc at the time the test was conducted, I believe Ford hadn’t unlocked the remaining 2% usable capacity.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The 3kWh that were added are well known to have been added below 0%, so you may not even see them in this test if you stop when it hits 0%. It's known the 2022/23 MMEs can go 20-25 miles past 0%.
This is not correct. Ford added 3 kWh to the available battery capacity by removing 3 kWh of the bottom battery buffer. It is not hidden below 0%. I received the update and measured before and after EtE. Before it was 88 kWh. After it was 92 kWh.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Insideevs did the same test for the 2021 SR Mach E. Your 2023 should be the same/slightly better bc at the time the test was conducted, I believe Ford hadn’t unlocked the remaining 2% usable capacity.
Thanks. I'll look for it.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This matches my personal experience in Florida (warm and flat). 270-280 miles on the highway which is exactly what I would get with the Model Y Long Range.

My Mach-E GT PE was barely getting 230 miles on the highway. That thing lived on the charger.

I'd getting sub 250 miles with the Ioniq 5 Limited. Probably 230-240 miles with just Normal + Regen 3 (default settings). The battery is 20 kWh smaller and efficiency on the highway is basically like the Mach-E but maybe 0.1 or 0.2 mi/kWh worse. The trade off is much faster charging.

My BMW i4 RWD was easily exceeded 300+ miles at 70mph. I miss the range, quietness, comfort, and audio of that car. Probably will get another one in a year.

OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This matches my personal experience in Florida (warm and flat). 270-280 miles on the highway which is exactly what I would get with the Model Y Long Range.

My Mach-E GT PE was barely getting 230 miles on the highway. That thing lived on the charger.

I'd getting sub 250 miles with the Ioniq 5 Limited. Probably 230-240 miles with just Normal + Regen 3 (default settings). The battery is 20 kWh smaller and efficiency on the highway is basically like the Mach-E but maybe 0.1 or 0.2 mi/kWh worse. The trade off is much faster charging.

My BMW i4 RWD was easily exceeded 300+ miles at 70mph. I miss the range, quietness, comfort, and audio of that car. Probably will get another one in a year.
May I ask why you sold the i4?
Sponsored