ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
And those people won't be taking delivery any time soon. 2023 will be spent fulfilling orders placed over a year ago.

My post specifically addressed people taking delivery in 2023.

There are way too many R1S reservations over the last few years to fulfill them all in 2023. People ordering at the new price, aside from a few exceptions such as VIPs, lucky people who can jump the line, etc have no chance in getting a R1S in 2023.

You are fixated on the price if ordered today.

I get it.

The reality is people taking delivery in 2023 will be paying about the same price for their R1S as people who take delivery of a GTPE in 2023.

You are trying to compare the price people will have to pay for a Rivian delivered in 2024 or even 2025 to the price of a Mach E delivered in 2023.
Ford will be delivering 2022s well into 2023. Some guy was even posting on here the last couple of days about his 2021 that still hadn't reached him.

We are realistically several months away before the first 2023 Mach-E is handed off to a customer.
Sponsored

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
Ford will be delivering 2022s well into 2023. Some guy was even posting on here the last couple of days about his 2021 that still hadn't reached him.

We are realistically several months away before the first 2023 Mach-E is handed off to a customer.
I think his was lost on the train

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
And those people won't be taking delivery any time soon. 2023 will be spent fulfilling orders placed over a year ago.

There are way too many R1S reservations over the last few years to fulfill them all in 2023. People ordering at the new price, aside from a few exceptions such as VIPs, lucky people who can jump the line, etc have no chance in getting a R1S in 2023.

I get it.

The reality is people taking delivery in 2023 will be paying about the same price for their R1S as people who take delivery of a GTPE in 2023.

You are trying to compare the price people will have to pay for a Rivian delivered in 2024 or even 2025 to the price of a Mach E delivered in 2023.
Incorrect.
I believe he is looking at it from the perspective of someone who is looking to order an EV today! Not someone who ordered in the past.
Since this thread is about prices at which one can order a MME this month(?) that question seems much more relevant.
Point taken about the price one would pay IF they ordered a Rivian in the past at the MUCH lower price compared to ordering a 2023 MME (assuming they were both delivered in 2023). . . but I have to assume that anyone in that fortunate situation would NOT buy the 2023 MME.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

I get it.

All you’re doing is just explaining what I’ve been saying all along:

The R1S is irrelevant to this discussion.

It isn’t competing with the 2023 Mach E.

Not on price and definitely not on delivery time.

Zero people in 2023 are cross shopping the two.

Why? Because you can’t. You can’t go back and order one 2 years ago. And you can’t order one now and get it in 2023.

So the price people paid who ordered 2 years ago? Who cares? Irrelevant.

It’s like arguing about the ticket price to a sold out show. Doesn’t matter if it WAS $200 per ticket when the going price on 3rd party sites is $500/ticket.

How much would it cost you to buy a ticket now? $500. And that’s the only price that matters.

Your argument about 2023 deliveries is a straw man argument. You’re trying to prove a point no one else is discussing.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Rivian is/was an idiot if they allowed people to honestly put a $1k deposit and lock in pricing for a car that can't even be configured/built? Is that what happened or people who are locked in already configured and placed a more firm order with their specific config?

I know from looking at the website now, you can't configure a thing on their site (sorta like that $100 Cybertruck "reservation").

I think most will agree that no one is getting a Cybertruck for < $40k.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Rivian is/was an idiot if they allowed people to honestly put a $1k deposit and lock in pricing for a car that can't even be configured/built? Is that what happened or people who are locked in already configured and placed a more firm order with their specific config?
It's complicated with Rivian. Your order is locked at the config + price but Rivian has now deleted lower trims and forced folks to change their config (preserving pre-March 2022 prices though).

Some interior colors are have shortages so Rivian has created a R1 shop with available built trucks and allowed earlier reservation holders to buy one - in place of "custom building to their spec"

Rivian is hitting a lot of QC issues and that's what is disturbing. OTOH, every single first gen EV seems to have serious issues. BMW i4 has battery recalls. Even the refreshed Bolt has transmission control module failures. We are all early adopters.

MMENJ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Wrangler 4xE, 23 Mach E GT-“Julius”
Country flag
R1S should not even be mentioned in this thread, does anyone have one? Who gives a F*ck if you reserved one 3 years ago, you still don’t have it and probably don’t know if you ever will. It’s like saying you ordered a widget 3 years ago and the prices of widgets have gone up considerably.
I have an R1S on reserve but no configuration yet and they took away the less expensive option, and increased the price of not a single one made yet, so my “option” will probably be to cancel my reservation. Rivian is actually trying to make the R1S now, I think the first batch of 4 or something came out, but they are so up in the air, who knows if they can continue or go under, I guarantee Ford won’t go under.
MME went up considerably, but people are driving them, shit I am.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
But do people really not cross shop EV with traditional ICE?
I'm surprised you asked this. Many people.

We had an hybrid, then a PHEV. We never considered anything but an EV. Ideally, we would have room for 3 vehicles, 2 EVs and a spare ICE. We are not ready to go full EV yet because of range, and no PHEV has the range we want. When an EV has a range closer to 400 miles, even in winter, we will be all EV.

Mach-e4x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e 4x, 2016 Mazda CX5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My car was at the dealer service for almost two weeks getting 22b08 and 21g01 (BC still not working) Campaign 22s41 updates.
I was talking with my salesman and he didn't believe me about the price increases. LOL
I paid $55,800 MSRP last August for my Premium Mach-E4X :)

Eosin

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium

I know from looking at the website now, you can't configure a thing on their site (sorta like that $100 Cybertruck "reservation").

I think most will agree that no one is getting a Cybertruck for < $40k.
I agree it wasn't exactly smart, but they did it much to my surprise because so many people canceled their reservations when Rivian raised prices without warning. No price protection was offered, but due to overwhelming complaints and cancellations they backtracked within days and decided to grandfather preorders in with the original prices.

They don't allow it anymore. This is how the first 70-80k reservations worked:

- $1000 refundable deposit.
- Vehicle completely configured online down to every last option.
- Configurations we're not locked and could be changed easily.

When prices were increased in March, everyone was able to keep their original pricing. We can even change our configurations and still keep original pricing.

People reserving now are not afforded this luxury. They cannot configure their specific vehicles until closer to production time. They will have to pay the future price as production nears I stead of the price at the time of their reservations.

I don't think Rivian has any intention of letting people lock in prices ever again like they did the last few years.

So far the vast majority of orders were placed with the old pricing system and are protected from future increases, but obviously the ration will gradually change until lal original preorders are either filled or canceled over the next couple years.

Last edited:

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
In terms of EV I think the new price is still comparable to other EV competitors. I am sure they will continue to sell as long as the hot used car market remains. But do people really not cross shop EV with traditional ICE?
It depends on how people are approaching it. If they're just looking to swap out your car then the EV represents driving performance gains and a different refueling situation. New EV buyers or those without much existing infrastructure can probably go back and forth without much difficulty.

Speaking for myself, which is a story I've heard from a few others, switching to EV represents a larger strategy. I have a pretty extensive photovoltaic system that feeds into another extensive home battery backup solution. For the past three years my electric bill has essentially not deviated from the grid connection fee (base minimum charge) despite driving electric during that same time. Driving electric helps with overall recouping the cost of the PV system and batteries not only because my electric costs are lower, but because I'm not paying for gas and oil for my transportation. Looking at it that way, why would I ever consider an ICE vehicle? All of my "fuel" is free, not to mention I'm not wasting time stopping off at gas stations; why would I ever want to go back to paying for my gas, spending time at stations, and bringing my car in for oil changes? EVs are literally saving me time and money, in addition to being nicer to drive.

Granted, a lot of people making the switch to EVs are simply converting gas costs into an increased cost of their electric bill. Even there, they see a cost benefit and can still recoup the cost of the electrical work needed to get an EV charging setup in their home. Apartment dwellers with no infrastructure changes made are probably the least "invested" in EVs, and that's a lot of people... but for those who have made broader changes, cross-shopping only makes sense if there's no pure EV that fits your needs.

EV OLVE

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Platinum, 2020 Fusion Titanium
Occupation
Live Production
Country flag
I would still pick a GTPE over a MYP because of the magneride, looks and blue cruise.

But...... Even though I haven't driven one I might pick a BMW i4 M50 properly optioned at 76k over the GTPE.
I took delivery of the I4 edrive 40 3 weeks ago< i took delivery of my 22 rwd ext premium MME last week. I like the BMW driving and seats better than the MME, the scrolling thru stations before you pick one to find a song you might like before actually changing the channel is huge, as well as being able to configure all three screens to display what you want to see. Plus the HUD is a very nice touch, the 30 min of free DCFC was a nice bonus. The MME with blue cruise is cool, as well as adaptive cruise control and auto high beams, as well as being able to plug in my Media player are what i like about it. Overall I prefer the BMW

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
IU
I took delivery of the I4 edrive 40 3 weeks ago< i took delivery of my 22 rwd ext premium MME last week. I like the BMW driving and seats better than the MME, the scrolling thru stations before you pick one to find a song you might like before actually changing the channel is huge, as well as being able to configure all three screens to display what you want to see. Plus the HUD is a very nice touch, the 30 min of free DCFC was a nice bonus. The MME with blue cruise is cool, as well as adaptive cruise control and auto high beams, as well as being able to plug in my Media player are what i like about it. Overall I prefer the BMW
I would agree but was too late to the reservation system to get one this year and before they dropped the adaptive cruise control as an option.