NikNad10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I am proud.

My company does machine learning algorithms that optimise battery management for charging speeds, warranties, charge management impact and financial returns.

Do you think I would not know that they come with different sizes of batteries?

That is what puts people off posting in forums freely and having good information - they feel they will be torn down in a blaze of ego.

Imagine someone who is a newbie getting torn down like that. Not pleasant.

My question was "Is the extended range battery just default in every Mach e Premium? Mine came with 303 miles? Is that extended range?"

How did you possibly take that as meaning "I dont know whether vehicles come with different size batteries".

The original. post here talked about "Standard Range" Premiums.. Mine does not have a trim that says "extended range" because it was custom.

I am still actually confused because it does not seem that there is a concept online of a Premium Extended range as a trim.

Those that ask questions -and admit that they dont know everything are those that learn and grow.
That's great, what company is it? And what do you do for them? I love machine learning, it has really taken off and it's crazy to see how many companies are finally understanding the benefits. I'm in data analytics and in healthcare we have been discussing machines learning and other AI types of systems for a while. I love seeing how it had been making positive impacts for healthcare, how has it been in your industry?
Sponsored

tattar8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C-Max, 2022 Rapid Red Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
So the Power Liftgate is no longer avail on the select at all?

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E Select RWD wComfort/Tech, '16 Honda Fit
Country flag
My BlueCruise says it is active for 3 years (not 90 days). The only thing I had to pay for after 90 days was Ford Connect so I could continue using Alexa.
We are comparing the 2022 Select w/ Comfort and Tech to the 2023 Select. The 2023 base Select will only include 90 days of Blue Cruise. Added cost to extend

Schwartzcynthia

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
We are comparing the 2022 Select w/ Comfort and Tech to the 2023 Select. The 2023 base Select will only include 90 days of Blue Cruise. Added cost to extend
Oh, I see. Sorry I misread that. Bummer for the 2023 buyers. Besides Alexa that is my favorite feature :)

J40MME

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Orange Premium SR AWD (Scheduled: 12/19/22)
Country flag
$1900 to extend the blue cruise and 360 cameras

ldtor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Very curious to see what this does to demand. An entire segment of people will be ineligible for the tax credit (income caps), but I don't think they're necessarily wealthy enough to fork over another $15k for the same car in a '23 model. Is this still a 200,000 units/year car? Honestly I hope not, I like having a somewhat uncommon car :)
Yeah, it’s essentially a $15k price increase for me ($8k +$7500) and the dealer I had been talking to just let me know they’re going to add a $5k ADM for orders starting tomorrow. I told them to go stuff it.

dmac1418

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E '23 Premium SR RWD
Country flag

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
Yeah, it’s essentially a $15k price increase for me ($8k +$7500) and the dealer I had been talking to just let me know they’re going to add a $5k ADM for orders starting tomorrow. I told them to go stuff it.
I hope you didnt cancel, it feels like dealers are deliberately trying to get you to cancel so they can get 1 more allocation to sell with ADM. They shouldn't be charging adm on these types of special orders.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Do you think I would not know that they come with different sizes of batteries?

That is what puts people off posting in forums freely and having good information - they feel they will be torn down in a blaze of ego.

Imagine someone who is a newbie getting torn down like that. Not pleasant.
I agree with you. I also hate to say it but I passed by your post because I wasn't sure how to reply without sounding condescending or judgmental and was hoping you'd get a better reply. I'm sorry that you didn't.

You mentioned that the responses were ego-filled, but I don't think that's what it really is. To explain a bit about it, the Mach-E represents a pretty big purchase for most of us here, and it's not something you'd just buy on a whim without trying to learn more about first. When it comes to electric vehicles, battery capacity and the associated expected range are the #1 concerns we hear about from most people. I think that's why you received the response that you did. It's the idea that you might have walked up to a dealership, paid the base price and then additional dealer markup on top of that, and then you'd come here to ask "what did I just buy?" The only way that question could be more egregious would be to come here and say something like "I think I bought a Mach-E yesterday, can you all help me verify that's what it is?" I don't say that to try to insult you, I hope it puts things into context and might help you to laugh a bit at yourself over it (if you can now see it from our view). Or at least, not take it as people responding from a place of ego-tripping.

My question was "Is the extended range battery just default in every Mach e Premium? Mine came with 303 miles? Is that extended range?"

How did you possibly take that as meaning "I dont know whether vehicles come with different size batteries".

I am still actually confused because it does not seem that there is a concept online of a Premium Extended range as a trim.

Those that ask questions -and admit that they dont know everything are those that learn and grow.
Daemonic3 already answered this one a bit, but I wanted to expand a bit on it too: people don't usually talk about the ranges in exact numbers. There are two reasons for that:
1) The manufacturer-posted ranges vary based on quite a few factors, and can change between years. For the Mach-E, it primarily seems to be battery capacity and drive type (RWD vs AWD).
2) Your vehicle reports expected range, but as was mentioned, people refer to that posted range as the GOM, or "guess o' meter." GOM is an EV term (at the consumer level, at least; not sure if any fleet operator uses it) and I first encountered it on Nissan Leaf forums. The term explains how people perceive that number: it's a guess, and it can fluctuate wildly. Specifically, it's based off of a number of factors, including your driving conditions and driving style.

Given the above, bringing up that number without explaining where you're getting it from doesn't give people a whole lot to go off of.

And again, linking back to the first quote I put my response to, it implies that you made the sale without realizing that there were different battery capacities because the battery is such a critical component of electric vehicles (and something that heavily impacts the expected base price) that it's difficult for us to fathom someone spending so much money without verifying first what they were paying for. You don't need to justify yourself on this point, I'm just saying how it looks from this end.

To be fair to you, Ford just recently reopened their order banks, now for the 2023 Mach-E. It's possible if you were using their website that the Premium trim wasn't listed as a selectable option to make a comparison, using their build/configure tool. When I checked just now it seems to be up and working, showing all of the configurations that were available when I ordered mine a year ago.

I love machine learning, it has really taken off and it's crazy to see how many companies are finally understanding the benefits. I'm in data analytics and in healthcare we have been discussing machines learning and other AI types of systems for a while. I love seeing how it had been making positive impacts for healthcare, how has it been in your industry?
It is massively under leveraged in healthcare... I work in healthcare on the clinical side and have only worked at one institution that had an actual AI division, and even that was regarded as being brand new. I know other places I've been at do use it but there is a whole lot more we could be using it for. It has the potential to change quite a bit and I think it will, once people understand more about what it is and what it can do.

Last edited:

Mr_Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
too many to list
Country flag
There are plenty of dealers out there (probably most of them) who won't charge ADM on a customer order. Actually, it's kind of surprising a dealer would ask for ADM on an order because all of their potential customers will go elsewhere. As a result, they won't end up with any abandoned orders that they can mark up.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Actually, it's kind of surprising a dealer would ask for ADM on an order because all of their potential customers will go elsewhere. As a result, they won't end up with any abandoned orders that they can mark up.
The story with ADM is that in the very beginning Ford explicitly forbade adding markup to customer orders. Then a year or so in, Ford just advised against it. Starting around December 2021 or so, Ford gave permission for dealerships to do it (according to my dealership - although I'm not sure if that's something special for dealerships in Hawaii, where the transportation cost is likely much higher than the flat $1,100 that shows up on all Mach-E window stickers).

As to why dealerships do it... my dealership and another dealership in my area (we only have three on this island) claim that they lose money by selling Mach-E's at base price. Whether they are literally negative balance or "losing money" as in "losing $7,500 we could have made with markup" is something I don't know. If it's really the former, it would certainly explain a lot.

I'd hope that most dealerships intend to not charge markup on customer orders, but I have a sinking feeling that a lot of the dealerships not charging markup are doing so because they don't realize that they can. As more dealerships do it, I think it will only encourage even more dealerships to start doing it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I have the sticker that was on the car and it shows Blue Cruise was included. The only extra fee was my extended battery
You won't see it on your sticker because the $600 was added to the MSRP. Cars that were sold before BlueCruise was available were $600 cheaper and we were told that we would have to pay $600 for 3 years of BlueCruise when it became available (which later became 1 year free since it took so long). As soon as cars started shipping with BlueCruise, they increased the MSRP by $600 to pay for the 3 year subscription. There have obviously been several unrelated price increases since then, so it's moot at this point. But nothing is free.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Regarding cross shopping ICE and EV models. I’m sure it is a mix of people who cross shop and people who don’t. We have a PHEV for road trips so we were only shopping EVs for this purchase as we felt an EV would be a good fit for our driving style. Cost is not the only factor in buying a car. If it was only the cheapest car would ever sell.

Mr_Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
too many to list
Country flag
The story with ADM is that in the very beginning Ford explicitly forbade adding markup to customer orders. Then a year or so in, Ford just advised against it. Starting around December 2021 or so, Ford gave permission for dealerships to do it (according to my dealership - although I'm not sure if that's something special for dealerships in Hawaii, where the transportation cost is likely much higher than the flat $1,100 that shows up on all Mach-E window stickers).

As to why dealerships do it... my dealership and another dealership in my area (we only have three on this island) claim that they lose money by selling Mach-E's at base price. Whether they are literally negative balance or "losing money" as in "losing $7,500 we could have made with markup" is something I don't know. If it's really the former, it would certainly explain a lot.

I'd hope that most dealerships intend to not charge markup on customer orders, but I have a sinking feeling that a lot of the dealerships not charging markup are doing so because they don't realize that they can. As more dealerships do it, I think it will only encourage even more dealerships to start doing it.
It makes sense that the market is different in HI given the logistics. I think with 2023 MME price increases and the possible loss of the federal tax rebate, it's going to be pretty hard for most dealers to get ADM in 2023. Teslas and Chevys will have rebates and the Ioniq5/EV6 seem to be getting easier to find. At some point, competition will balance things out. I think Ford has probably put a lot of analysis into setting 2023 prices. They won't leave extra meat on the bones for the dealers like they have in the past couple of years.

ldtor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium AWD ER
Country flag
There are plenty of dealers out there (probably most of them) who won't charge ADM on a customer order. Actually, it's kind of surprising a dealer would ask for ADM on an order because all of their potential customers will go elsewhere. As a result, they won't end up with any abandoned orders that they can mark up.
The reason the ADM dealer gave was that they expect a large allocation (high volume dealer) and they expect to have priority on initial orders (over other smaller dealers with likely smaller allocations). Whether that’s true or completely made up is irrelevant, they lost my business. I called other area dealers and the first one I called said “no we don’t add any markup to orders”, so I assigned my online order to them.
Sponsored