210-230 EV mile range, sufficient for only vehicle in Phoenix?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Whether they listen to the suggestions is another matter.
My guess is they make a spreadsheet, tabulate all the suggestions, sort them by counts, print out the spreadsheet and bring it into a big meeting where its talked about for about 10 seconds and then they move on to more pressing matters....

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I've gotta think EA will put one in in Kingman before long. Not only is it a huge hole on 93 between 2 major cities (LAS and PHX), it's a huge hole on I-40 between Flagstaff and Barstow. Two birds, one stone. It's begging for an EA charger. And there's a Walmart there with a big lot right off the highway.
Electrify America is taking location suggestions for Cycle 3.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/submissions/
Thanks

I did submit a location just for that Walmart a couple of months ago. They said it didn't make sense for their Cycle 2. I think I'll resubmit for 3 just in case they don't automatically hold on to it for 3.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks

I did submit a location just for that Walmart a couple of months ago. They said it didn't make sense for their Cycle 2. I think I'll resubmit for 3 just in case they don't automatically hold on to it for 3.
If they didn't already have chargers in Flagstaff, Winslow, Gallup, and Grants, that might make more sense. But what's the point of putting them there for I-40 coverage without covering the 352 mile gap on to Barstow? Makes no sense. And actually, it would probably get more usage from 93 traffic for the PHX-LAS route than it would I-40 traffic. Being located at that short overlap would give them double duty for it.

Oh well, who knows how they think. Maybe there's something problematic with that specific location. It's a shame, because the Walmart there is perfectly located too. But hell, if not Walmart, there's plenty of other choices.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If they didn't already have chargers in Flagstaff, Winslow, Gallup, and Grants, that might make more sense. But what's the point of putting them there for I-40 coverage without covering the 352 mile gap on to Barstow? Makes no sense. And actually, it would probably get more usage from 93 traffic for the PHX-LAS route than it would I-40 traffic. Being located at that short overlap would give them double duty for it.

Oh well, who knows how they think. Maybe there's something problematic with that specific location. It's a shame, because the Walmart there is perfectly located too. But hell, if not Walmart, there's plenty of other choices.
This is what they said:
"Western Arizona was not identified as a priority for investment in the Cycle 2 ZEV Investment Plan."

So I don't think their reasoning was about that specific location but the area in general.

Anyone know what their priories are for Cycle 3?

Edit: Found their Cycle 2 plan, guess the 3 isn't out yet.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is what they said:
"Western Arizona was not identified as a priority for investment in the Cycle 2 ZEV Investment Plan."

So I don't think their reasoning was about that specific location but the area in general.

Anyone know what their priories are for Cycle 3?

Edit: Found their Cycle 2 plan, guess the 3 isn't out yet.
I guess that explains part of it... In Cycle 2 they allocated 2/3rds of the money to city charging and only 1/3rd to highway charging. That's disappointing. Cities are usually the destinations on road trips, where we can usually find L2 at hotels and such. For instance, I'm hoping to NOT have to use EA in Vegas. Only along I-15/I-70 on the way to get there.

But Gallup and Grants are even smaller than Kingman, yet they got chargers. There must be some state-by-state allocation in the equation. Still though, looking at the map is looks far more route-centric than state-centric (other than the usual CA favoritism).

With so many more BEVs in CA, I would think Western AZ would be a logical priority in/out of CA. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With so many more BEVs in CA, I would think Western AZ would be a logical priority in/out of CA. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.
I don't know what it is like in other metro areas, but I see Tesla's every day. Seems like we have a higher percentage than most. Maybe that is California spillover. Or maybe its just people want HOV access.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Thanks. I submitted suggestions in these places:
  • Payson
  • Show Low
  • Wickenburg
  • Kingman
  • Wikieup
  • Tuba City
  • Page
  • Kayenta
  • Miami
  • Gila Bend
I know you're 100% serious but this list reads to me a lot like something you'd see in Dr. Seuss's Guide to EVs or something... "Tuba City" indeed. ?

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I know you're 100% serious but this list reads to me a lot like something you'd see in Dr. Seuss's Guide to EVs or something... "Tuba City" indeed. ?
Says Michael proudly, while his state brings us the communties Knockemstiff and Blue Ball.

Hmm, any suitable DCFC sites in Hell Town, Ohio?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just happened to run across a separate article from a year and a half a ago that talked about the Taycan and their arrangement with EA. It showed an old EA Cycle 1 map. It included Kingman and Needles locations.

There's a bunch of others on that map that haven't happened yet either.

ELECTRIFY_AMERICA_Nationwide-Network-Map.jpg

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Says Michael proudly, while his state brings us the communties Knockemstiff and Blue Ball.

Hmm, any suitable DCFC sites in Hell Town, Ohio?
You're just jealous. ?

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks. I submitted suggestions in these places:
  • Payson
  • Show Low
  • Wickenburg
  • Kingman
  • Wikieup
  • Tuba City
  • Page
  • Kayenta
  • Miami
  • Gila Bend
Got an email from Electrify America a couple days ago. They acknowledged the Kingman, Wickenburg, and Gila Bend suggestions but none of the others. Still, if someone builds a DC FC in Wickenburg, this plus the one being built in Kingman will enable driving between Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Dear macchiaz-o,

Thank you for your submission regarding Electrify America’s Cycle 3 ZEV Investment Plan. Electrify America appreciates your suggestion to build a charging station at 3396 Stockton Hill Rd in Kingman, Arizona. You may be pleased to learn that this location is near I-40 in Arizona, which is a corridor Electrify America is targeting for ultra-fast charging stations. Electrify America also appreciates your suggestion to build charging stations in Wickenburg and Gila Bend, Arizona. As the Phoenix metro area is one of 29 metropolitan areas in which Electrify America is currently developing ultra-fast charging stations, we have shared your suggestion with our real estate team for evaluation.

Electrify America is greatly benefiting from stakeholder feedback as we plan for our third investment cycle, which begins in 2022. We are using a data-driven process to identify new opportunities for investment, and we are reevaluating past conclusions. Please know that we have documented your suggestion and Electrify America will consider it while developing plans for future investment.

In 2019, Electrify America emerged as the nation’s largest open network of DC fast chargers. By the end of 2021, the company expects to have 800 ultra-fast charging stations installed or in development, with over 3,500 individual chargers. During this period, Electrify America will expand to 29 metro areas and serve 45 states, including two cross-country routes.

Electrify America is also spending $42 million to educate consumers, including sponsoring the brand-neutral “Normal Now” campaign, which seeks to demystify electric vehicles for those Americans – still the overwhelming majority – who have not considered switching to an EV.

Electrify America has received a huge response to our open call for suggestions. Our team is learning a great deal from more than 600 submissions from stakeholders across the country. In the next month, we will invite you to a webinar where we will provide an update on key themes we have identified from all of these inputs.

Thank you again for your submission.

Sincerely,

The National Outreach Team
Electrify America

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Got an email from Electrify America a couple days ago. They acknowledged the Kingman, Wickenburg, and Gila Bend suggestions but none of the others. Still, if someone builds a DC FC in Wickenburg, this plus the one being built in Kingman will enable driving between Las Vegas and Phoenix.
Great news. But personally. Why drive when a flight is like $80? Plenty of air options between PHX and LAS. I never drive unless it’s a group road trip thing.

Also, I live in the SE Valley, so tack on an extra hour just to hit PHX metro city limits.

Reactions: DBC
OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Great news. But personally. Why drive when a flight is like $80? Plenty of air options between PHX and LAS. I never drive unless it’s a group road trip thing.

Also, I live in the SE Valley, so tack on an extra hour just to hit PHX metro city limits.
Fair point. I don't like dealing with the airlines. When you factor in driving to the airport, waiting for flight, waiting to deboard, etc you are probably at 4 hours of the 5 hour drive. But with a BEV right now, it's really longer than a 5 hour drive...

Anyway, it's almost a toss up for me.
Sponsored