Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Has anyone been able to confirm that 21P22 does indeed unlock an extra 3 kWh of usable battery to bring 2021s in line with 2022s? I’ve searched through numerous threads on here and have found several conflicting answers. From what I’m reading, it seems that the general opinion is that it does not unlock an additional 3 kWh of usable battery, but if anyone knows for sure, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Isn’t the “unlocked” amount different between the standard range and extended battery?

I’m trying to think about how this would benefit most drivers? I believe the buffer is split between the max charge allowed and the lowest usable charge allowed. I do not ever run into the low end < 10% range. With more unlocked, I don’t see how being able to end at a slightly higher % for the same drive would benefit unless you absolutely need that last few pct to reach a destination?

Seems like just feeling better about the GOM reported range number, which would be higher after unlock.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Isn’t the “unlocked” amount different between the standard range and extended battery?
No. They're different packs altogether. The OP is talking about 88kWh vs 91kWh - the latter is what the 2022 model years have.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No. They're different packs altogether. The OP is talking about 88kWh vs 91kWh - the latter is what the 2022 model years have.
The packs are the same. Both model years are 99 kWh nominal. Usable capacity was increased for 2022.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
The packs are the same. Both model years are 99 kWh nominal. Usable capacity was increased for 2022.
Oh, I misread the post. I thought he was referring to the difference of capacity between the standard and ER packs. My bad...

OP
OP
Cm12

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag

I’m trying to think about how this would benefit most drivers? I believe the buffer is split between the max charge allowed and the lowest usable charge allowed. I do not ever run into the low end < 10% range. With more unlocked, I don’t see how being able to end at a slightly higher % for the same drive would benefit unless you absolutely need that last few pct to reach a destination?

Seems like just feeling better about the GOM reported range number, which would be higher after unlock.
It’s an extra 3 kWh for both SR and ER packs for 2022. And in the NW and Western US, 3 more kWh in a SR is very helpful given the limited charging infrastructure, cold weather, and elevation change. There are trips I literally cannot take in the winter that I can in the summer. Not to mention even situations where everything indicates a charging station is functioning properly but you get there with 10% battery and well, it’s not. There’s more leeway with an ER than an SR.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I got increased charging after 80% but don't see increased range. So I guess the answer is no.

OP
OP
Cm12

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
It‘s only 2 kWh for the SR.
I read that it went from 68 to 71, but I see other places saying it went from 68 to 70. There’s so much misinformation out there. Edit: confirmed 70, I read something that said 71 and didn’t cross-check.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Has anyone been able to confirm that 21P22 does indeed unlock an extra 3 kWh of usable battery to bring 2021s in line with 2022s? I’ve searched through numerous threads on here and have found several conflicting answers. From what I’m reading, it seems that the general opinion is that it does not unlock an additional 3 kWh of usable battery, but if anyone knows for sure, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It did not unlock any extra kWh on my car. Still same usable capacity as before.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It did not unlock any extra kWh on my car. Still same usable capacity as before.
How's do you know? It doesn't seem like the OBDII scanner provides precise enough information to confirm the difference and certainly the GOM is useless. I have recorded over 91 kWh capacity using my OBDII reader, but is that because it is warm now or because I updated my car?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The kWh to empty PID has never exceeded 88 for me. Been super close a few times but it maxes out there. If you see 91 kWh to empty then it appears you have a 2022 or updated your 2021 somehow.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I got increased charging after 80% but don't see increased range. So I guess the answer is no.
Fast charging after 80% is the important thing in 21P22.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Fast charging after 80% is the important thing in 21P22.
Meh. It all depends upon your point of view. 1 DCFC on the island that any Mach-e can use. Its just under 10 miles from my house. I was much happier with the door module update than the charge curve. ;)

3 extra kWh would’ve been nice though.
Sponsored