Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Good day,
I have seen several posts about people putting 22” rims on the MME and reporting no issues.I’ve finally found some rims and tires that seem perfect, but the company is telling me I have to sign a waiver because they can’t guarantee it’ll fit on my car.
according to the math people have pointed out, 255/30R22 seems to have the same tire size conversion, aspect ratio, bolt pattern and wheel weight.

has anyone with 22’s had any issues with wheelwell being rubbed? If it’s same dimensions as stock tires, I can’t see how that can be an issue.
Sponsored

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
What’s the width and offset - those are also fairly important to know.

OP
OP

Ltjuanito

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
255/30R22; offset same as stock wheels: 5x108mm

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
255/30R22; offset same as stock wheels: 5x108mm
That's the bolt pattern.

Offset is how far it sticks in or out from the hub, the thing the wheel bolts to. You also need the wheel width.

Get the tire dimension size out of your head for now, that's a completely different topic but is important when ultimately determining if the rubber will rub the wheel well, but we first need to know about the wheel (rim, if you will) dimensions.

Wheel width: 7.5" / 8" / 8.5" / 9"
Wheel offset: +5 / 0 / -8 / -12 / -25 / -38
Wheel bolt pattern: 5 x 108

If your offset is low and the width is 8.5"+ you'll likely have some fitment problems. If your offset is aggressive, you may rub some stuff on the wheel well from time to time.

OR, just buy them, get tires fitted, and give it a try!

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've mentioned in several other wheel/tire threads that 22's, even 21's are not an easy fit if you want to stick with the tire load capacity that Ford recommends for the Mach-E. Not that people haven't done this because they have but I've also read there can be liability issues if your tires fails causing an accident and it was found out you were running tires that the load capacity isn't at the auto manufacturers minimum rating.

Ford recommends a minimum load capacity rating of 103. You can run higher rated tire but should never run a lower one. The 255/30/22 tire you are suggesting has a load rating of 95. Not only that but the diameter of that tire is 28" which is 3/4" less than the 28.7" OEM tire. The sidewall is much too narrow to support the weight for a higher load rating. There aren't any tires sizes in the 28" diameter size for a 22" wheel that does. You need to go with a larger diameter tire to get a wider sidewall to support the weight. The smallest diameter size 22" tire that reaches the 103 load rating is a 275/35/22. The diameter is about 1" larger at 29.6". As far as fitment goes, this tire is wider than the OEM tire so while it will fit in the rear without issues, in order for it to fit in the front without rubbing the inner fender liner and suspension components, your wheel offset needs to be such that this tire will poke out past the fender moulding. Probably not the look you want and besides you run the risk of the tire contacting the fender moulding if the car is loaded down.

The bottom line is, you can run a 22" wheel/tire setup that works perfectly well as far as fitment but it will not be the proper load rating. If you run the proper load rated tires, you will have fitment issues. Even a 21" setup is difficult but a bit better. The first tire with a proper load rating is a 275/35/21. At least is almost the same diameter as the OEM tire but it's still wider and you will have the same fitment issues in the front.

OP
OP

Ltjuanito

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Thank you both for this explanation.
mad soon as you mention the liability issue, it becomes a red flag to me to even consider Tires with a lower load rating.
I really do appreciate the input from you both.
Sponsored