emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I received a notice to install Ford Power-Up Recall 22S41 & 22S29 OTA Software update. Trying to do the right thing, I hit "Update Now". The update has failed 6 times so far today, and I get a Ford Pass notice each time, "HELP US INSTALL YOUR NEW FORD POWER-UP", but it doesn't tell me what I need to do to help them, it just says the power up was unsuccessful. I am out of ideas of what I could do different so I can "Help them". My process has been:
  1. Start the car.
  2. Set the update to automatic, no schedule.
  3. Click in the update and hit "Update now".
  4. turn off the headlights (not auto, off)
  5. power down the car.
  6. verify the headlights are still off.
  7. exit the vehicle.
  8. verify all doors and frunk, and rear lid are closed. Lock the car.
After all that, it still won't update. Any ideas?

Screenshot_20221029-112516_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20221029-112549_FordPass.jpg

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
On one OTA I had a similar issue. The LVB SOC was too low. Drive the car for 30-45 minutes. Then just turn it off and leave it alone, you don’t need to do anything out of the ordinary. Just drive the car around every day and the OTA will re-try on its own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
emichnov

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Thank you.

How did you detemine that the LVB SOC was too low?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Thank you.

How did you detemine that the LVB SOC was too low?
I read the error message from the Ford OASIS/PTS website, in the OTA history.

Which made sense in my case because the car had not been plugged in (charged) for several days (on vacation away from home), and had not been driven much.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yeah, drive the car for a 30 mins, park, start the update, then leave it for 40 minutes without touching it. Come back after 45 minutes and it should be done.

If you are always starting the car and trying to apply the update immediately with a low 12V battery it won’t work.

An alternative is to just drive the car normally and let the update go when it wants to automatically.

OP
OP
emichnov

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Update: still no joy. The update will not install no matter what i do. Ford Pass "HELP US INSTALL YOUR NEW FORD POWER-UP" notice is useless as it doesn't tell me i need what to do to help them. I've tried charging the LVB with an external battery charger; tried driving it around and just letting it update when it wanted to, tried turning the headlights off (not auto), and tried turning bluetooth off on all PaaK phones. i am out of ideas.

Anyone have anything else to try before i call the dealer for a service appointment?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Update: still no joy. The update will not install no matter what i do. Ford Pass "HELP US INSTALL YOUR NEW FORD POWER-UP" notice is useless as it doesn't tell me i need what to do to help them. I've tried charging the LVB with an external battery charger; tried driving it around and just letting it update when it wanted to, tried turning the headlights off (not auto), and tried turning bluetooth off on all PaaK phones. i am out of ideas.

Anyone have anything else to try before i call the dealer for a service appointment?
Send your VIN to one of us to check the logs.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

OK, it's failing because of a low 12V battery. SoC is anywhere from 31-77% during the past 20 attempts you've made. It's probably looking for >80%. Shouldn't be that low, so you have 12V drain issues or are leaving it on in accessory mode. Surprised you haven't been getting battery drain messages. Read this topic for ideas on what's causing the 12V drain and how you can do a service charge on the 12V battery: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-recondition-service-your-12v-battery.11069/

I think you should put a battery charger on it overnight and then try the next day.

OP
OP
emichnov

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Thanks, I am not on National Grid for electric service, so I don't have that installed.

I did put the LVB on a charger a few days ago; not overnight, but for many hours. Really surprised that didn't work, but the battery was very low when I first put the charger on it. Maybe I didn't get it past 80%. I'll try to charge it again tonight and see if the update works then. Is there anyway that I can tell the LVB SOC?

So, yes, I have some battery drain issues to troubleshoot. Only thing I can think of right off the top is the "Welcome lighting" issue - we use PaaK, and I frequently walk in range of the car. I think maybe that is causing it. Edit: I've also had numerous "Charging faults" over the past few weeks. I will troubleshoot and post back when I have it figured out.

I really appreciate the help - thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
emichnov

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
P.S. Reading deeper into your "How to Recondition/Service Your 12V Battery" post, the "I recommend a 12V charging session for all newly delivered vehicles since they’ve been sitting for extended periods during shipment" most likely applies to me. I will read how to go about the "I recommend charging the 12V battery for several days to fully restore its condition." and get that done.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I did put the LVB on a charger a few days ago; not overnight, but for many hours. Really surprised that didn't work, but the battery was very low when I first put the charger on it. Maybe I didn't get it past 80%. I'll try to charge it again tonight and see if the update works then. Is there anyway that I can tell the LVB SOC?

So, yes, I have some battery drain issues to troubleshoot. Only thing I can think of right off the top is the "Welcome lighting" issue - we use PaaK, and I frequently walk in range of the car. I think maybe that is causing it. I will troubleshoot and post back when I have it figured out.
The Mach-E 12V is about 40 Ah (amp-hours), so it would take a small 1A charger approximately 40 hours to completely charge it. Not sure how many amps your charger is, but you can do the math (amps x hours = >40).

Yes, disable welcome lighting if it comes on frequently.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Thanks, I am not on National Grid for electric service, so I don't have that installed.

So, yes, I have some battery drain issues to troubleshoot. Only thing I can think of right off the top is the "Welcome lighting" issue - we use PaaK, and I frequently walk in range of the car. I think maybe that is causing it. Edit: I've also had numerous "Charging faults" over the past few weeks. I will troubleshoot and post back when I have it figured out.

I really appreciate the help - thank you!
Just leave the car on for an hour, should charge the battery all the way. Also if you plug into L2 charging it will charge 12v as well and may also help complete the update. Leave it plugged into L2 and see if it works.

OP
OP
emichnov

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Just leave the car on for an hour, should charge the battery all the way. Also if you plug into L2 charging it will charge 12v as well and may also help complete the update. Leave it plugged into L2 and see if it works.
Pretty sure that won't work for me as I checked the battery voltage level and it was 12.3 volts(very low). The car has been driven a lot, so it has been ample time to charge the battery. I think I have some battery drain issues to troubleshoot and also a LVB "service charge" to fully charge it.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Pretty sure that won't work for me as I checked the battery voltage level and it was 12.3 volts(very low). The car has been driven a lot, so it has been ample time to charge the battery. I think I have some battery drain issues to troubleshoot and also a LVB "service charge" to fully charge it.
Agree, I think you need the 48 hour charge session to restore some lost capacity.
Sponsored