First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
Good Day Everyone,

I recently bought a new kitchen range and went from electric to gas. This then left an open 240 volt outlet not being used in my circuit breaker box. Would an electrician be able to disconnect that and then run new wires to the garage with a new receptacle created for it to connect to the new Ford Connected Charging station?

Excited to get the new MME and add it to my stable!

Thanks for the help and information!!
Sponsored

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Yeah...shouldnā€™t be a problem since you have space in the breaker panel for the new one. only issue would be if the main couldnā€™t handle the house loads plus charger, but since you used to have an electric oven you should have capacity.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
It depends on what size breakers you have too. The Ford Connected Charge station is 48 amps so it needs a 60 amp breaker and because it's hardwired it does not require a receptacle.

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah...shouldnā€™t be a problem since you have space in the breaker panel for the new one. only issue would be if the main couldnā€™t handle the house loads plus charger, but since you used to have an electric oven you should have capacity.
Thank you!! That's what I was thinking but wanted to ask and get a feel for what kind of $$damage$$ I was looking at.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you!! That's what I was thinking but wanted to ask and get a feel for what kind of $$damage$$ I was looking at.
I think the $ will depend largely on the length of wire needed, and how you want it routed. If it can be routed in conduit attached to the wall or ceiling, itā€˜s easier to run than in some (most?) walls.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You can shop around and size your EVSE to whatever the breaker sizes are. You'll still get Level-2 charging speed(s) just not the fastest that the Ford Connected station can do. Just remember to get an EVSE that runs at 80% of your breaker sizes.

There are several EVSE's out there that are adjustable.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The important question was asked above: what is the rating of the breakers for that oven?

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I think the $ will depend largely on the length of wire needed, and how you want it routed. If it can be routed in conduit attached to the wall or ceiling, itā€˜s easier to run than in some (most?) walls.
Maybe it will be cheaper to install the EVSE in the kitchen using the oven circuit and open a wall to park the Mach-E inside?

Seriously, it depends on what your local electrician will charge, either per hour or for a full job quatation. In my case, my kitche wall is just six inches of concrete brick away from my carport. But I already have a JuiceBox EVSE (built from a kit) wired in my carport on a 40 A circuit, and set for 30 A (7.2 kW). I can uprate the wiring for up to 16kW. And I did all the contruction and wiring myself for less than $300.

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe it will be cheaper to install the EVSE in the kitchen using the oven circuit and open a wall to park the Mach-E inside?

Seriously, it depends on what your local electrician will charge, either per hour or for a full job quatation. In my case, my kitche wall is just six inches of concrete brick away from my carport. But I already have a JuiceBox EVSE (built from a kit) wired in my carport on a 40 A circuit, and set for 30 A (7.2 kW). I can uprate the wiring for up to 16kW. And I did all the contruction and wiring myself for less than $300.
The bad part is, the wiring will cost me as the electrical panel is on the far opposite side of the house to the garage. When we ran the gas line, they were able to not have to cut any holes into the ceiling, as there was enough space access and run the line from end to end of the house. The same could be done for the new electrical line and then pop it right into the garage from the basement. The electric dryer line is also right below the garage in the basement. It should be a pretty easy run.

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The bad part is, the wiring will cost me as the electrical panel is on the far opposite side of the house to the garage. When we ran the gas line, they were able to not have to cut any holes into the ceiling, as there was enough space access and run the line from end to end of the house. The same could be done for the new electrical line and then pop it right into the garage from the basement. The electric dryer line is also right below the garage in the basement. It should be a pretty easy run.
The current electric panel is for 125. Hopefully, this should be enough to cover.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The current electric panel is for 125. Hopefully, this should be enough to cover.
It should but may limit you to your existing oven circuit. What's the Amperage on the oven breakers?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
When I got my 240V line + EVSE installed they had to add a meter, panel, and run wires from one side of the house (through the basement) to the other side. Total cost for all of it was $2500 (of which $2400 of it was paid by our electricity provider).

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It should but may limit you to your existing oven circuit. What's the Amperage on the oven breakers?
I honestly do not know. I know it takes up two breaker spots in the panel. I'll take a picture later.

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And a really big thank you to you personally for all of the updates from Mexico and your knowledge!! I've been following your information for quite some time :)

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I honestly do not know. I know it takes up two breaker spots in the panel. I'll take a picture later.
They can just replace that breaker with a larger capacity one and run new wires to the new plug (not reuse the oven wires).
Sponsored