TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The article says "Supports everything from 120V-8A to 240V-32A and in between". I'd assume 120V-12A would be in between.

The Ford material just says "a slow convenient charge". Not sure about the convenient part but the slow part would be for sure at 120V.

Very hard for me to imagine you couldn't set up charging to at least 120V-12A. I've seen setups where, when charging on a 120V circuit, you can set the amperage on the EVSE to either 8A or 12A. I've also seen setups where you can set the amperage to 8A or 12A in the vehicle. But I can't remember any setup where you couldn't set it higher than 8A. Reasonable that 120V-16A might not be supported -- plenty of 120V circuits aren't 20A -- but 12A would seem a safe bet.
Oh no doubt it would be great if we can choose to set the charger to draw 8A, 12A or 16A @ 120V. I guess we'll just have to see it to tell whether there's user-settings on it or not (or in the vehicle). My initial impression was that there's not, but admittedly we're all working from crumbs when it comes to official info.

It would just surprise me that they would continually only tout 3 miles per hour added at 120V (the 8A amount) rather than any higher number for 120V if it were really capable of that.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'd have zero problem living with a 30A circuit if it was difficult to add more. Even sharing it with a dryer via smart switch if needed.
That's exactly what I'll be doing. The cost of a new or expanded panel (and perhaps service) was more than we were willing to fork out when we got our Leaf. I have a 30A circuit and a 24A Clipper Creek that we use now. Even if my 30kWh battery pack is sucking electron fumes, it still waits until around 3:00 AM to start charging and be finished by 8:00 AM (my scheduled departure time).

I'd love to have a bigger circuit and a 48 A EVSE but I'll make due with half of that.

I can't even plug the Ford Mobile Charger into 240 in my carport!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The article says "Supports everything from 120V-8A to 240V-32A and in between". I'd assume 120V-12A would be in between.

The Ford material just says "a slow convenient charge". Not sure about the convenient part but the slow part would be for sure at 120V.

Very hard for me to imagine you couldn't set up charging to at least 120V-12A. I've seen setups where, when charging on a 120V circuit, you can set the amperage on the EVSE to either 8A or 12A. I've also seen setups where you can set the amperage to 8A or 12A in the vehicle. But I can't remember any setup where you couldn't set it higher than 8A. Reasonable that 120V-16A might not be supported -- plenty of 120V circuits aren't 20A -- but 12A would seem a safe bet.
Convenient in that you can find 120V outlets most anywhere.

Edit: Charging horror story: Out on a trip to the MD Eastern Shore (still a bit of a charging desert) we found ourselves at a Royal Farms store with a nice 50 kW charger -- that didn't work. We had literally called ahead to the company (EVgo?) to confirm it was working and they did a diagnostic run and remote reboot. We taught them that those steps aren't enough to make sure it is actually working. So, lacking enough juice to get to the nearest L2 charger (to get enough juice to get to the next L3 charger), we plugged into a 120v outlet at the Royal Farm store. They were fine with it and apologized the charger wasn't working. We got free but painfully slow charging. So, yes, 120V is convenient in its availability, just not its charging rate.

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
"I've got the power!!"...now just need the car that it's supposed to charge...Week of December 20th build date!!
Ford Mustang Mach-E 240 Volt Charger in old Oven Circuit Breaker IMG_20201123_130109

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
"I've got the power!!"...now just need the car that it's supposed to charge...Week of December 20th build date!!
Ford Mustang Mach-E 240 Volt Charger in old Oven Circuit Breaker IMG_20201123_130109
Cool. Which model is that?