Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I honestly do not know. I know it takes up two breaker spots in the panel. I'll take a picture later.
The breaker should be clearly labelled with a 30, 40, or 50 on it. If your service is only 125 Amps then it is likely a 40 Amp breaker but could be a 30. I would keep the same breaker if it is less than 50, and just have the new line run. Even if the line is a 40A, with only 125 Amp service it might be a good idea to get a 24A EVSE (or buy one that allows you to set it to 24A). The last thing you want is for the A/C to come on while charging and pop the service breaker.
Sponsored

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Good Day Everyone,

I recently bought a new kitchen range and went from electric to gas. This then left an open 240 volt outlet not being used in my circuit breaker box. Would an electrician be able to disconnect that and then run new wires to the garage with a new receptacle created for it to connect to the new Ford Connected Charging station?

Excited to get the new MME and add it to my stable!

Thanks for the help and information!!
I had a 50 amp circuit for a hot tub that was disconnected 20 years ago. Electrician moved the wire to the garage (under house) and I now have a 40 amp charger hooked up. Most electric stoves use 40 amp breakers, meaning a 32 amp charger on the same circuit. I believe the Ford charger is 48 amp needing a 60 amp circuit. If so, you'll need a new breaker (make sure you have capacity) and re-wiring, as the 40 amp stove wiring is too small.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
They can just replace that breaker with a larger capacity one and run new wires to the new plug (not reuse the oven wires).
Perhaps. Whether they can increase them depends on whether the panel has more capacity. Ours did not, so we stuck with a 40A circuit.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good Day Everyone,

I recently bought a new kitchen range and went from electric to gas. This then left an open 240 volt outlet not being used in my circuit breaker box. Would an electrician be able to disconnect that and then run new wires to the garage with a new receptacle created for it to connect to the new Ford Connected Charging station?

Excited to get the new MME and add it to my stable!

Thanks for the help and information!!
Yes and no. It should free up capacity in the panel for it, but all the wiring will probably need to be new. It's basically a whole new install (and all the cost), minus saving only the cost of the breaker (which is maybe $100 of the whole cost).

And you may not even be able to use the old breaker. Many states require a GFCI breaker for a garage outlet.

Few people need a 48A charger. A 32A, or even a 24A will charge the Mach-e fine overnight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
Sorry these are late...the range looks to be 40 amps(close up picture)....the breaker panel states it has a 125A max (close up picture) Also, a look at the entire breaker box.

I have no clue how any of this works which is why I am here wanting to learn. Thank you all for your help!!

20200806_172710_resized.jpg

Breaker Box.JPG

range.JPG

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Sorry these are late...the range looks to be 40 amps(close up picture)....the breaker panel states it has a 125A max (close up picture) Also, a look at the entire breaker box.

I have no clue how any of this works which is why I am here wanting to learn. Thank you all for your help!!
the box is rated at 125A, but note your main breaker is 100A. That’ll be your limit for everything going through that box and not something you’ll change without involving your electric utility.

It‘s easy for an electrician to remove existing breakers and install new ones...that’s what they’ll probably do in your case.

if curious, that painted panel around the breakers is usually easy to remove and you can see the wiring inside that way, though note it’s also pretty dangerous to do this if you don’t know what you’re doing!

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
the box is rated at 125A, but note your main breaker is 100A. That’ll be your limit for everything going through that box and not something you’ll change without involving your electric utility.

It‘s easy for an electrician to remove existing breakers and install new ones...that’s what they’ll probably do in your case.

if curious, that painted panel around the breakers is usually easy to remove and you can see the wiring inside that way, though note it’s also pretty dangerous to do this if you don’t know what you’re doing!
Does that mean with what I currently have, I could get the new Ford Connect Charger added to the current breaker panel in its current state?

Annnnnnd no, I have literally been electrocuted before, hair raised and flew backwards, will not be removing anything :)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Does that mean with what I currently have, I could get the new Ford Connect Charger added to the current breaker panel in its current state?
I would say NO, even if your electrician replaced the 40A breaker with a 60A that would be required. There is no way you would be able to take advantage of the 48A charging without constantly popping your main. Get a 32 Amp or better yet a 24 Amp EVSE, and of course have your electrician put it in. You could even get an EVSE that lets you set the current draw and start at 32A (keeping the existing 40A breaker), and if you end up popping your main you could have your electrician change the settings to 24A.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Is your garage near your kitchen? If so, you could have an electrician extend the run from the oven to a 14-50 outlet in the garage and use the existing breaker. That would be a lot cheaper than a whole new run and would allow you to use the included 32 amp charger.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
An electrician could provide better advice than I....but I think the answer is that you could do so, but would need to be very conscious of when the car is scheduled to charge. I wouldn’t do it when your AC or dryer is running, for example. But in theory, you have a 100A budget, if you set aside 60A for the charger, that leaves I think plenty for lights, microwave, etc.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

Annnnnnd no, I have literally been electrocuted before, hair raised and flew backwards, will not be removing anything :)

I'm sure there are rules of thumb or a good electrician can look at what you have and get an idea of how much load you have running. Or you or an electrician could use an amp clamp to see how much current is drawn based on what is running (like all lights, tv, ac, etc.) and then see how much room you have for charging.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

20200806_172710_resized.jpg

Breaker Box.JPG

range.JPG
You have a 40 A breaker in a maxed-out box. Either buy a 32A EVSE or spend $$ for a second box.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So in reality, just stick with the charger that it comes with and have a 240v plug put into the garage.
Yep. That works too.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I have a variation on this theme.

How do you determine if your panel has the capacity for a 60 amp circuit? We have 200 amp service, (our home is “newer“ construction - 1997)and there is plenty of room in the panel for another breaker. The only high draw circuits we have are for the dryer and the AC. Our home is not huge, just average size (2,300 sq ft - 3 BR, 2.5 bath)
I have wired other additional circuits myself, so I know how to do it. I installed an additional outlet in the garage for our Fusion Energi. My breaker panel is a very short run to my garage (it is in the basement, on the same side of the house as the garage).
The other question I have is how do you determine the wiring that is needed for a 60 amp circuit? What is the code or rating if I go to Home Depot to buy it? I already know what breakers I need and where to get them.
I’m trying to decide if I do have an electrician come in, or if I do it all myself. The only things I am a bit nervous about is making sure the panel has the capacity, and the wiring. All the other wiring circuits in my basement are just run along and/or through the floor joists, with no special shielding or conduit - including the AC and the Dryer circuits.
I may have an electrician give me an estimate and then decide.
Sponsored