240V but only 20Amp circuit.

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, replacing a 1999 Chevy Metro LOL!
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Can the Mach E be configured to reduce Current draw to 20Amps when charging at 240V?

I have a 240V / 20Amp circuit in my Garage. Before I owned an EV I wanted to run a welder in the Garage. The Electrician said that to get anymore Amps I would have to upgrade my service panel. Can the Mach E be configured to reduce Current draw to 20Amps when charging 240V, or do I need to order a special EVSE (Electric vehicle supply equipment) that limits current draw from the outlet?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
get an aftermarket EVSE (ie "charger"). You can got one that is configurable to different current draws, or you can buy one that is a fixed 16 Amps or less. FYI the circuit must be rated for 25% higher than the actual current you are going to draw because of the heat that can build up when drawing full power for 3+ hours, which is why you need to draw no more than 16A on a 20A circuit.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I would contact another electrician. It would be on the rarer side to need more than a 200amp service for an EV. There's obviously a ton of variables like current load, size of house etc, but if you already have a 20 amp circuit and you wanna replace that with 30/40/50. I find it curious that 10 amps at minimum would set you over the edge.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I would contact another electrician. It would be on the rarer side to need more than a 200amp service for an EV.
He did not indicate what the size of his current service is. There are a lot of older homes with a 100 or even a 60A service.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
He did not indicate what the size of his current service is. There are a lot of older homes with a 100 or even a 60A service.
Yup. My first house had 60A service, and my second/current house only had 125. I upgraded both houses doing almost all of the work myself, so it wasn't particularly expensive. It is a fair point though that he might at least be able to upgrade to a 30A circuit that would only be drawing 24A - the extra 4 amps is highly unlikely to be that significant to cause an issue.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Very true. Being that i was in mechanical construction before I've seen these sales tactics used over and over... All he realistically needs is 30 amps (net 10 additional) and I still find that an unlikely need even with a 100 amp service.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very true. Being that i was in mechanical construction before I've seen these sales tactics used over and over... All he realistically needs is 30 amps (net 10 additional) and I still find that an unlikely need even with a 100 amp service.
Agree 100%. If his electrician is either unable or unwilling to perform a proper NEC load calculation, he needs a new electrician!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I contacted 1/2 dozen electricians (most on the "recommended EV installer" list of my utility company).

Two insisted I need to add to my 200 amp service (never visited the house, only looked at pictures of my box), and get a 2nd meter.

One insisted that I install a load shedding device, designed to kill the charger if total load exceeded 85% of the 200 amps.

I knew I didn't need a 2nd meter to get a special EV rate, because I already had Time of Day rates and that was preferable.

I called the town electrical inspector, and he said that he had never heard of a load shedding device, and that I did not need one. He said that they put in tandem breakers. Turns out my Square D Homeline panel doesn't permit any type of tandem breaker, so the inspector told them to simply combine two lighting circuits to make room for a 60 amp breaker (48 amp charger).

If an electrician tells you no, either call another one or talk to the inspector to verify the information. Many simply want a more expensive job.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I called the town electrical inspector, and he said that he had never heard of a load shedding device
And this is why I would say, never rely on an inspector. They are swiss army knives that know a lot about nothing. Last inspector I had out for a tankless failed me because I had a 1' hole dug in the back yard doing irrigation work. He claimed it was a trip hazard... How that's connected to my water heater in the garage one will never know.

I have 2 load shed modules on my house. Granted, they are for my generator, but they do exist.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I contacted 1/2 dozen electricians (most on the "recommended EV installer" list of my utility company).

Two insisted I need to add to my 200 amp service (never visited the house, only looked at pictures of my box), and get a 2nd meter.

One insisted that I install a load shedding device, designed to kill the charger if total load exceeded 85% of the 200 amps.

I knew I didn't need a 2nd meter to get a special EV rate, because I already had Time of Day rates and that was preferable.

I called the town electrical inspector, and he said that he had never heard of a load shedding device, and that I did not need one. He said that they put in tandem breakers. Turns out my Square D Homeline panel doesn't permit any type of tandem breaker, so the inspector told them to simply combine two lighting circuits to make room for a 60 amp breaker (48 amp charger).

If an electrician tells you no, either call another one or talk to the inspector to verify the information. Many simply want a more expensive job.
I've said this before, but it's worth repeating:
The only way to tell for sure if your existing (or proposed) service is capable of supporting the addition of a significant continuous load, such as an EVSE, is to perform an NEC load calculation. If an electrician is unwilling or unable to do this, you need to find a different one.

If you have a 200A service, it's very likely able to handle the addition of an EVSE. This is especially true of the house is supplied with natural gas for heat.

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, replacing a 1999 Chevy Metro LOL!
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Found ClipperCreek makes
I would contact another electrician. It would be on the rarer side to need more than a 200amp service for an EV. There's obviously a ton of variables like current load, size of house etc, but if you already have a 20 amp circuit and you wanna replace that with 30/40/50. I find it curious that 10 amps at minimum would set you over the edge.
We have a 200A service but we added a Mother-In-Law Apartment with the Garage last year. With the extra Range, Dryer, AC, and Water Heater we didn't have much room left for other 240V appliances.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Found ClipperCreek makes

We have a 200A service but we added a Mother-In-Law Apartment with the Garage last year. With the extra Range, Dryer, AC, and Water Heater we didn't have much room left for other 240V appliances.
I would still get another electrician to look at it. I have a brand new load transfer device in my garage that's meant for a dryer outlet to be used for an EV. If the EV is charging the dryer won't turn on. You have cheaper options.

This thing has never once been used:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 240V but only 20Amp circuit. PXL_20211023_165653527

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That makes sense...but I would still have the load calc performed.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
Yup. My first house had 60A service, and my second/current house only had 125. I upgraded both houses doing almost all of the work myself, so it wasn't particularly expensive. It is a fair point though that he might at least be able to upgrade to a 30A circuit that would only be drawing 24A - the extra 4 amps is highly unlikely to be that significant to cause an issue.
I used the ford charger which comes with the car on a 240v 30 amp circuit for a while and had no problem. Just for safety, I have since upgraded to a Charge Point home flex charger direct connected to a 60 amp circuit. That allowed me to go from charging at 20 miles in an hour to 32 miles in an hour.
Sponsored