Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Chief Financial Officer
Country flag
Ordered a 2021 Mach E and going into production in early June. My question is in regards to charging the Mach E. Obviously I would never simply plug into a 110v wall outlet as that would take forever to charge the vehicle. The only options I would consider would be to install a 240v wall outlet in my garage and plug the mobile charging cord directly into it, or install a Level 2 EV Charger.

Both charge at a decent rate, but installing a 240v wall outlet in my garage would be much cheaper than installing a Level 2 charger. My question is, are there any negative impacts to the batteries if plugging into a 240v wall outlet and power is immediately supplied? Also what happens if the power blinks on and off? I believe the Level 2 EV chargers have built in GFI.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The supplied charging cable is a Level 2 EVSE itself. It is also a Level 1 EVSE when using the 110v plug.

There is no negative impact for using the charger that came with the car on a 240v outlet.

The main reason I put in a dedicated EVSE was because I didn't have an outlet at all, and if I was going to pay for a run, decided to go ahead and do it hardwired so I could leave the portable one in the car at all times.

bwr1338

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ordered a 2021 Mach E and going into production in early June. My question is in regards to charging the Mach E. Obviously I would never simply plug into a 110v wall outlet as that would take forever to charge the vehicle. The only options I would consider would be to install a 240v wall outlet in my garage and plug the mobile charging cord directly into it, or install a Level 2 EV Charger.

Both charge at a decent rate, but installing a 240v wall outlet in my garage would be much cheaper than installing a Level 2 charger. My question is, are there any negative impacts to the batteries if plugging into a 240v wall outlet and power is immediately supplied? Also what happens if the power blinks on and off? I believe the Level 2 EV chargers have built in GFI.
I charged my First Edition on the mobile charger for the first 45 days on 110 due to a bug in the software for the 240v charge. Never really had an issue but also had to plug it in any time I was at home. Once Ford updated the cars software, I used the 240 outlet and easily charged my car overnight.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The charger is in the car. The EVSE /power cord is just that, a power cord. And extension cord of you will. What comes out of your wall of just a different gauge extension cord based on how many amps your circuit is and what your EVSE can handle. So there is no difference between using the supplied cord on a 240v 40 amp outlet or buying a different EVSE and plugging it into a 240v 40 amp outlet. Or having a different EVSE hardwired to a 240v 40 amp circuit.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hello and welcome!

To be clear, there is no way to plug directly into a 240v outlet per se (or even a 110v outlet). The included mobile charger is itself a L2 charger.

So what your choices really are, as you frame them, is to (1) install a 240v outlet and use the included L2 mobile charger, or (2) install a 240v outlet and buy a third-party L2 charger (and the third-party charger can either be the kind that plugs into the 240v outlet or you can get it hardwired into the 240v outlet).

You can absolutely use the mobile charger if you want. Some people like the greater features available with third-party L2 chargers. Your municipality or power company might also offer a rebate on a L2 charger, making it 'free' or close to free, so worth looking into that as well.

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag

The main downside is either keeping the charger at home in which case you don’t have it on hand if something comes up and you need it. Or you try to remember to pack it up into your car which would be a bit of a hassle and you might accidentally forget it.

Everyone weighs differently the convenience factor or the risk of not having it for an emergency, so some opt to install a charger and others stick with the mobile.

As someone else mentioned, check your utility in case they offer rebates or discounts. I got a 600 or 700 charger for only $200 so it was a much easier decision for me. Plus the 30% I can get back on my taxes later

OP
OP

sarge01251972

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Chief Financial Officer
Country flag
The main downside is either keeping the charger at home in which case you don’t have it on hand if something comes up and you need it. Or you try to remember to pack it up into your car which would be a bit of a hassle and you might accidentally forget it.

Everyone weighs differently the convenience factor or the risk of not having it for an emergency, so some opt to install a charger and others stick with the mobile.

As someone else mentioned, check your utility in case they offer rebates or discounts. I got a 600 or 700 charger for only $200 so it was a much easier decision for me. Plus the 30% I can get back on my taxes later

Thanks for the info. May I ask what EV charger you ended up purchasing? Was it the charger offered by Ford or an aftermarket charger?

johnsonx

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

A Level II wall-mount charge port is not a huge expense considering how convenient it is not to have to fool around with the mobile charge cord. The cost of labor to install a 240 volt wall outlet combined with the charge port is likely less than $2500.00 which qualifies as a tax deduction up to $2500.00. This Level II charge port mounts over the 240V outlet, so you would want to have the outlet installed about four (4) feet above the ground => Amazon.com: Siemens US2 VersiCharge Level-2 30A Fast Charging up-to 8Hrs Delay Charging UL Listed J1772 Compatibility 14ft Cable +2ft NEMA 14-50 14-30 10-50 10-30 6-50 6-30 L14-30 L6-30 Plug (NEMA 10-50): Automotive | https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Vers...iemens+Level+II+charger&qid=1620241759&sr=8-1

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree with all that has been offered above. I paid to have a 240V 40A circuit put into my garage with the socket required for the Ford Mobile Charger that came with my MME. I've been using the Ford Mobile Charger, and I have to remember to put it back into the car if I'm going off on a lengthy adventure, or plan to stay overnight somewhere.

smp

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The supplied charging cable is a Level 2 EVSE itself. It is also a Level 1 EVSE when using the 110v plug.

There is no negative impact for using the charger that came with the car on a 240v outlet.

The main reason I put in a dedicated EVSE was because I didn't have an outlet at all, and if I was going to pay for a run, decided to go ahead and do it hardwired so I could leave the portable one in the car at all times.
exactly correct.....

The included charger, with the 240v NEMA 14-50 plug end, is a level 2 charger. all you need is a 240vAC 50amp circuit and a generic 14-50 outlet. Which can be super handy if you ever run big power tools, or want to plug in a Generator to backfeed backup power to the house in emergencies (after turning OFF your main disconnect to prevent back-feed to the Grid of course).

Any licenced electrician should be able to install a 240vAC 40amp or 50amp circuit breaker if you have available slots in your electrical service, and a NEMA 14-50 outlet, for $200-300 depending on length of wire run and whether or not they have to drill any holes thru the wall if you have an outside service, or want an outside weather safe outlet.

Last edited:

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
I had the same company that installed my solar panels and Tesla battery three years ago hardwire a ClipperCreek HCS-50 charger and install a separate 240v outlet on the same 50 amp breaker. I'm now ready for when my MME is delivered next month. The cost was $1900.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Also what happens if the power blinks on and off? I believe the Level 2 EV chargers have built in GFI.
All EVSEs have a power failure protocol. When the power comes back on they wait a random amount of time of up to 30 minutes before they restart. This is so the power company doesn't get slammed by all of the cars on the system starting to charge at the same time.

Dangerfish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE Cyber Orange
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Country flag
Can anyone tell me, off the top of their head, what my choices are if I want to purchase an EVSE that can charge at up to 48amps?

I installed a a 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage an it works just fine using the included mobile charger. But I've only taken two trips with the car and I'm already tired of having to take down the mobile charger and pack it up. I think I want to leave it in the car and install something else permanently.

When the electrician came, I had him run the appropriate gauge wire so that if I want to upgrade my 50 amp breaker to 60 amps, I can easily do so.
So from what I've seen so far, my choices are:
1. Ford Connected Charger
2. Charge Point
3. Juice Box

Are there others that can do up to 48 amps? I only have to charge once or twice a week but if I'm going to install something permanent, I might as well get the most bang for my buck.
My understanding is that the 3 choices above are all on back order. Correct?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
For almost everybody, almost all the time, the mobile charger on a 240v 40amp circuit is just fine. (I went ahead and ran a 50amp circuit for a few extra bucks, but the mobile charger is only 32amps.)

There really isn’t a reason to buy an extra wall charger unless the utility company is giving you a big subsidy for it. You can set the charging schedule and max charge using the car. Eventually you’ll be able to make changes to that schedule via FordPass (does not currently work reliably).

People say they like having the mobile charger in their car for “security,” but you really gotta ask yourself how you’re going to use that mobile charger out on the road. If you can’t find a fast charger, are you really going to plug into a 120? It would be faster to get your car towed (by Ford, for free) to a fast charger, even if that took a few hours. What about 240? How many 240 outlets are you gonna find out in the wild? Carrying the mobile charger around is really pretty useless unless you want to bag 20-30 miles of range while at work or staying somewhere overnight.

The mobile charger is my wall charger. I leave it plugged in in my garage. And it works great.
Sponsored