Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm going to start smashing my head into a wall if people who buy EVs can't do minor research. This is the biggest problem with the EV push IMO. No one is educated. How many million threads on this do we have now 😂

GUESS-O-METER gotta remember that.
Wait till it gets cold out! It’s almost “ford put the wrong battery in” time of the year! I gotta send out my holiday cards for it!
Sponsored

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
No worries.
Just drive it awhile. You will figure it out and understand it better after you get a few miles under your belt.
consider:
-driving habits
-temperature
-charge %
-lot of guys stop at 90%; 90% of ~300 is ~ 270
Ex.: our Bolt w/ replacement battery(66kWh, up 10% from original) now "259" miles of range: when fully charged in summer shows 300 miles of range.
Range numbers will be the least of your concerns w/ your MME
remember, it is a brave new world for Ford, which they entered a bit too soon and ill prepared

just have fun

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It will drop more in the winter, depending on how cold it is, so be prepared. The car companies are in the biggest mileage war we have ever known, so they only advertise their best numbers.

when our car was new we drove it pretty hard and floored it a lot as it is so fun.
that brings down your Guess-ometer As well. Just like a gas car, if you floor it all the time it eats up a lot of gas And juice, both.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
When it gets really cold like near freezing temp. You only get 70% of the EPA. Hot weather does not seem to affect range. OP is in Malibu CA so probably won't see that drop.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
... Hot weather does not seem to affect range. OP is in Malibu CA so probably won't see that drop.
It will be interesting to see if this holds true with the Mach E. With my Ioniq 5, starting a drive after parking unprotected in 95+ F degrees resulted in 40+% of total energy going to climate control for the first 10-15 minutes or so. I calculated the raw KWH consumed at the time--I don't remember it, but it was jaw dropping, considering my overall mi/kwh average at that point was right at 4.0. For the record, it was a medium-dark car (digital teal) with the white interior and high TSER window tint on all the glass including the windshield.

I noticed my trip mi/kwh ratings sagged considerably in the hotter months in that Ioniq 5. I just got my Mach E, and it's still pretty hot in South Florida. It will be interesting to see if my efficiency improves in what we call winter here.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
People are new, they’re going to ask questions. There’s nothing wrong with that. Or we can just start a petition to have Ford reprogram the range meter so that it always indicates EPA range when full.
But they should know, or at least be aware, of this. It is NO different in a gas car. MPG is an estimate and is dependant on the same parameters as a BEV, weather, speed, A/C and everything else.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Love this topic. It has only been beaten to death 10k+ times on every battery-powered (hybrid, BEV,EREV, etc.) vehicle forum since they first appeared, no offence to OP or the countless others who have proposed this question.
This is exactly why I strongly disagree with manufacturers who have taken to selling EVs using the notion that charging replenishes x number of miles per hour instead of kW/h. You are being told to expect a certain number of miles, when much like MPG, or L/100km, the distance traveled on a given unit of energy varies greatly. My approximately 4000 lb Nissan LEAF averages 4.1 mi/kwh. My 4500 lb Mach-e4x averages 3.5 mi/kwh. A 10000 lb Hummer EV appears to averages 1.3 mi/kwh based on anticipated (probably summer) range on a 238kwh battery. So how many variables does one think really play into a vehicle that claims to recover 18 miles (average, varies by vehicle of course) of range per hour of charging?

tl;dr: YMMV (your mileage may[WILL] vary). Temperature is the biggest influencer, then weight. Don't buy the manufacturers' hype about expected range. Too much like the pre-adjusted EPA numbers on gas-/diesel-powered vehicles from the 80s and before. Good luck getting/staying close to that.

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
It will be interesting to see if this holds true with the Mach E. With my Ioniq 5, starting a drive after parking unprotected in 95+ F degrees resulted in 40+% of total energy going to climate control for the first 10-15 minutes or so. I calculated the raw KWH consumed at the time--I don't remember it, but it was jaw dropping, considering my overall mi/kwh average at that point was right at 4.0. For the record, it was a medium-dark car (digital teal) with the white interior and high TSER window tint on all the glass including the windshield.

I noticed my trip mi/kwh ratings sagged considerably in the hotter months in that Ioniq 5. I just got my Mach E, and it's still pretty hot in South Florida. It will be interesting to see if my efficiency improves in what we call winter here.
I am in NJ, I have experienced as low as 20 degree winter. And as high as 100 degree summer with the MME. I do the same 70 miles commute everyday. I set my HVAC to medium auto with 70-72 temp setting. So not full blast. The winter range is just shorter than summer. The guess o meter also reflects it. I am no battery expert but I literally can see the big drop in winter. My opinion is hot areas are better than cold areas for EV.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
I am in NJ, I have experienced as low as 20 degree winter. And as high as 100 degree summer with the MME. I do the same 70 miles commute everyday. I set my HVAC to medium auto with 70-72 temp setting. So not full blast. The winter range is just shorter than summer. The guess o meter also reflects it. I am no battery expert but I literally can see the big drop in winter. My opinion is hot areas are better than cold areas for EV.
No doubt that true winter conditions present a double-whammy in range reduction: worse conditions for battery (electrolytic strain) and increased load on the heater, especially in cars without a heat pump. However, it does seem like many out there underestimate the effect of very hot weather in reducing range. Even in nice climates, I found that hot summers take their toll on energy use--even if it's not as pronounced as very cold weather.

In my personal experience, it was significant on that E-GMP vehicle. Again, it will be interesting to see if the Mach E is affected similarly. One thing I can tell you is, the sound of the a/c fan on the Mach E is far less piercing than in the Ioniq 5; hopefully the engineers were equally diligent in designing its efficiency.

OP
OP
Platinum Ice

Platinum Ice

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford MME Premium, 2023 Ford Lightning Order
Occupation
Investor
Country flag
@Platinum Ice totally need to go to dealer. There is a big issue with your car. Your not the first person to not get the epa mileage. Go to dealer complain and call ford BEV team and start a case. 🤦‍♂️ They prob put wrong battery on 😤
Thank you - yes the LA area has had MME misdirection/conspiracy theories! I found a Ford chat that was the key.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.