FarSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type '70 Vet, Outback Onyx, '04 Wrangler
Country flag
That sucks, sorry to here that. Meanwhile e-questrian is out of pocket $28K. That is not easy scratch to come up with for everybody and this will take a while to sort out with lawyers. Ford needs to address this with specific towing instructions (I assume this is not in the user's manual). Also, some warnings stickers under the car where a truck would latch onto. << something along those lines. Better instructions and warnings. This type of thing should never happen again.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
For this picture. Is it just me or is not only the bar ripped open from the hook but they also put the jack stands/lift supports on the same battery bar?
Yes, they positioned the lift arms incorrectly in that photo, you are not to touch those square channel battery protection rails. The proper recovery points are ahead of the front wheels, if you ever observe the tow driver hooking behind the front wheels stop them immediately.

Proper lift points: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/jacking-lifting-mach-e.6009/post-328213

Last edited:

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I don't want to thread jack, but does anyone see why a removable plug or battery frame rail protector strip with plugs incorporated would be a bad idea?

I sent a message to AOSK to see if they have thought about it, or if they are interested. I could see individual plugs that are secure but pop out if needed or a four-piece design (two on each side to make shipping and installation easier) that would prevent someone from stupidly trying to attach. They could also incorporate an indicator for the jack points (arrow pointing).

Any thoughts on why that would be a bad idea, especially if they were secure but easily removable?

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
On a recent trip from the Bay Area to Salt Lake City, I had to hire. a tow truck in Lovelock, NV to go to Winemucca, NV for recharging. I got stranded in Lovelock without sufficient range to go either way. I paid $400.00 for the tow and applied for reimbursement at Ford Roadside Assistance. They denied my claim because I didn't go to the nearest Ford dealer ???
AAA Plus membership will give you a 100 mile tow. The Fallon dealership would have been closer than the Winnemucca dealership but the wrong direction. EA and PlugShare show chargers at Safeway and socket behind Nerd Garage. If the driver took you past the Tesla Superchargers, I hope you didn't tip him.

Radish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape
Country flag
Is this all back and forth on the phone or have you filed an official claim yet?

Personally, I would start by filing a claim with my own insurance company and let them go after the tow company’s insurance policy. Path of least resistance I would think.
This is actually probably the way to go. Your insurance company will go after the others for you and you don’t have to worry about it

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Our Tesla Model Y has holes in the edge of the frame for "pucks" to be inserted so that lift jacks can use them and not damage the battery. Is there something like that for the Mach e?
there are a number of different 'jack pads' for various makes/models, but none specifically for mach-e I found yet. It looks like the Tesla ones might work.... about $20 for a set of 4.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
For this picture. Is it just me or is not only the bar ripped open from the hook but they also put the jack stands/lift supports on the same battery bar?

looks that way to me too.... crushing the rail is worse than tearing out the hole.... this will weaken that bottom rail significantly, and it IS a structural member.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I don't want to thread jack, but does anyone see why a removable plug or battery frame rail protector strip with plugs incorporated would be a bad idea?

I sent a message to AOSK to see if they have thought about it, or if they are interested. I could see individual plugs that are secure but pop out if needed or a four-piece design (two on each side to make shipping and installation easier) that would prevent someone from stupidly trying to attach. They could also incorporate an indicator for the jack points (arrow pointing).

Any thoughts on why that would be a bad idea, especially if they were secure but easily removable?
I would buy a set of 4.... If the pucks could be inserted, and used expansion bolts/plugs to hold them in securely, and had a U extending over the battery frame rail to prevent damage from a badly placed lift pad.....

Similar idea for tow point holes... if there were pucks with tow hooks that fit into the official winch point holes, they could be in your trunk and handed to any tow truck when and if winching was needed.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I would buy a set of 4.... If the pucks could be inserted, and used expansion bolts/plugs to hold them in securely, and had a U extending over the battery frame rail to prevent damage from a badly placed lift pad.....

Similar idea for tow point holes... if there were pucks with tow hooks that fit into the official winch point holes, they could be in your trunk and handed to any tow truck when and if winching was needed.
I'll let AOSK speak for themselves, but they seem interested in looking into it.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
According to those pics seems the tow company/ tow truck driver and where car was towed to put on a lift are both responsible for damage to the battery rail. This is something that will win in OP favor. As the pics show damage of where the winch was hooked which was wrong spot. Then where shop lifted car was also in wrong spot potentially causing more damage.

OP
OP

E-questrian

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
This is actually probably the way to go. Your insurance company will go after the others for you and you don’t have to worry about it
My insurance company says it doesn’t think they will cover it ….. doesn’t fit in one of their categories!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
My insurance company says it doesn’t think they will cover it ….. doesn’t fit in one of their categories!
Read your policy. It will outline what’s covered and isn’t. Look for anything that says “perils.”

This info may help;

“
3. Collision Coverage
In most cases, the collision coverage policy covers damages caused by tow trucks. Such policies will settle payment for damages caused to your car by other cars or objects that collide with your vehicle. Since a tow-truck is classified as “car or object,” you’ll be covered under the policy depending on the terms of the insurance provider.”

https://attorneyatlawmagazine.com/car-is-damaged-while-towed/amp

Last edited:
OP
OP

E-questrian

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Read your policy. It will outline what’s covered and isn’t. Look for anything that says “perils.”

This info may help;

“
3. Collision Coverage
In most cases, the collision coverage policy covers damages caused by tow trucks. Such policies will settle payment for damages caused to your car by other cars or objects that collide with your vehicle. Since a tow-truck is classified as “car or object,” you’ll be covered under the policy depending on the terms of the insurance provider.”

https://attorneyatlawmagazine.com/car-is-damaged-while-towed/amp
[/QUOTE
Thanks, definitely have collision, just feel that Ford should bear the responsibility not my insurance company
Sponsored