Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Thanks, definitely have collision, just feel that Ford should bear the responsibility not my insurance company
Ford contracts with a road side assistance service which then contracts out the tow. Ford is technically the “customer”. Just like when you have warranty work done, Ford is the customer to the dealer.
you are fords customer, and they did everything they could to ensure a safe tow by providing a towing manual to the roadside assistance company. If ford wanted to be nice they could cover the repair and then go after their contract partner but they aren’t obligated to do that.
Sponsored

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Similar idea for tow point holes... if there were pucks with tow hooks that fit into the official winch point holes, they could be in your trunk and handed to any tow truck when and if winching was needed.
They do have that and every tow truck has them. That’s what caused the damage lol.
They are called J-Hooks and T-Hooks.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
They do have that and every tow truck has them. That’s what caused the damage lol.
They are called J-Hooks and T-Hooks.

I would much rather have actual tow rings hiding under removable bumper covers on front and rear bumpers.... holes underneath, in the front only, invite disaster if the tow truck is trying to pull you out of a ditch or snowdrift.

ValentinoRossi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Premium AWD ER (10/21 build)
Country flag
Then where shop lifted car was also in wrong spot potentially causing more damage.
This has me really paranoid having my car worked on by anyone without me being there. I am going to be so anal when I get my tires rotated or get new tires installed and demand I am there to witness it. It seems people want to use those battery rails really bad for some reason.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I would much rather have actual tow rings hiding under removable bumper covers on front and rear bumpers.... holes underneath, in the front only, invite disaster if the tow truck is trying to pull you out of a ditch or snowdrift.
Oh absolutely but unless you live in Europe or buy a European car the chances of getting a tow eye are slim. I’m just glad the Mach e actually has a legit recovery point for J-hooks. I’m not sure what you’re supposed to do if you go nose first into a ditch but still.
Most New cars don’t come with recovery points anymore, even trucks lost their front hooks. Sandy Munroe must have told them they could save 10cents.
You’re left using Jhooks in the control arms or t-hook in the tie down slots.
Unfortunately, if you’re not paying attention the battery rail slots look just like tie down slots on every other car.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Thanks, definitely have collision, just feel that Ford should bear the responsibility not my insurance company
This may be different where you are, but I he whole point of collision in FL is to cover YOUR car.

Ford is gonna be your hardest fight to get $$. Your insurance the easiest and then the insurance of the tow company insurance the 2nd easiest.

Ford doesn’t have insurance to cover 3rd party tow companies.

Gixxer750

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW Golf R; 2021 ER AWD Rapid Red
Occupation
Innovation Guru
Country flag
Looking at the second picture, it's clear the hook is into the battery rail and causing deformation. How can they deny they did the damage? Did the winch snap or did the hook get pulled through the rail (first pic)?

This seems pretty clear where and who caused the damage...

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is best to pull by the wheels, especially out of a snow bank. (Prius)

karioka

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
AAA Plus membership will give you a 100 mile tow. The Fallon dealership would have been closer than the Winnemucca dealership but the wrong direction. EA and PlugShare show chargers at Safeway and socket behind Nerd Garage. If the driver took you past the Tesla Superchargers, I hope you didn't tip him.
I have AAA and got fully reimbursed, I have to say I was surprised. However, the car was never the problem all I need was a fast charger what dealers usually don't have. I wanted to proceed to Winemucca because they have EA chargers there. It never occurred in my mind that I should take the vehicle to a Ford dealer.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
I have AAA and got fully reimbursed, I have to say I was surprised. However, the car was never the problem all I need was a fast charger what dealers usually don't have. I wanted to proceed to Winemucca because they have EA chargers there. It never occurred in my mind that I should take the vehicle to a Ford dealer.
That's great that AAA reimbursed you. (They probably contract with the same truck.) I've had them for fifty years and they always come through. It may have been recently installed but EA show two CCS 150kW and two CCS 350kW chargers at Safeway in Lovelock.

OP
OP

E-questrian

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Looking at the second picture, it's clear the hook is into the battery rail and causing deformation. How can they deny they did the damage? Did the winch snap or did the hook get pulled through the rail (first pic)?

This seems pretty clear where and who caused the damage...
The first winch snapped which caused other damage, then he went back in and that’s when he hooked the battery rail.

After further inspection when removing the battery there is not 1 tow hook attempt made by road side assistance but a 2nd attempt made with a hook from roadside assistance. See attached images. If it was the 1st one and that was it, it would have been replaceable with the frame guard rail replacement that’s riveted to the battery, but after finding the 2nd damage piece that is a part of the high voltage battery that is not serviceable which means it needs a new battery to get the vehicle back in the condition the vehicle was in prior to roadside assistance being contacted.

638A2FD6-A28B-46B1-B270-6E4511E40A87.jpeg

B84435BA-019A-4A05-8865-EC3882025EAD.jpeg

89BC8FA1-F9E2-41E6-BD89-1B1D04DFDAC0.jpeg

Riotous

First Name
Riotous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Do you know the root cause of the initial problem that required you to pull over and be towed?

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I'm surprised your insurance will not at least subrogate the claim. Certainly not an expert but I have been through that process before and that department is ruthless. Took care of everything for me when an uninsured motorist hit me. I wonder if it is worth trying to talk to their subrogation department.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
Oh absolutely but unless you live in Europe or buy a European car the chances of getting a tow eye are slim.
I wonder what the cost savings were to cause the de-contenting of the nut welded to the back of the bumper frame for a real tow eye. It cannot have been much.

Gixxer750

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW Golf R; 2021 ER AWD Rapid Red
Occupation
Innovation Guru
Country flag
The first winch snapped which caused other damage, then he went back in and that’s when he hooked the battery rail.

After further inspection when removing the battery there is not 1 tow hook attempt made by road side assistance but a 2nd attempt made with a hook from roadside assistance. See attached images. If it was the 1st one and that was it, it would have been replaceable with the frame guard rail replacement that’s riveted to the battery, but after finding the 2nd damage piece that is a part of the high voltage battery that is not serviceable which means it needs a new battery to get the vehicle back in the condition the vehicle was in prior to roadside assistance being contacted.

Ford Mustang Mach-E RESOLUTION!  $28,000 damage to Mach-E from tow truck hooking into battery rail 89BC8FA1-F9E2-41E6-BD89-1B1D04DFDAC0

Ford Mustang Mach-E RESOLUTION!  $28,000 damage to Mach-E from tow truck hooking into battery rail 89BC8FA1-F9E2-41E6-BD89-1B1D04DFDAC0

Man, I'm sorry. That really sucks. I hope you move through the claim issue smoother than it appears right now.