Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
On hot days, with a sun baked car and high sun load while driving, I need to significantly reduce the set point (sometimes more than 4 degrees) to get enough cool air flow in the cabin. Otherwise, even at Auto-3, the fan speed stays too low.

On hot days but where the car was garaged before driving (therefore, not sun baked), with high sun load while driving, the system seems to perform reasonably well. I will often still end up knocking down the set point, but only by a degree or two and maybe during the drive I'll eventually raise it back up.
For me the temp never catches up, even if I'm driving for an hour after a heat soak. Seems to only be related to outside temp. Manually increasing fan speed to max doesn't help either, the air coming out is not cold enough, only about 65ºF (normally like 50ºF). If I eventually get cold and want to increase the temp, I notice it's because outside temp had dropped below 90ºF. Sun load doesn't seem to make a huge difference, outside temp seems to be the primary determinant.

The behavior is odd to me, because in past Ford vehicles I never had to adjust the temp more than a degree the whole summer. In the Mach-E I have to adjust it quite a bit above 90ºF, but it works fine in the 70-90ºF range.

It's almost like the HVAC module raises the evaporator temp setpoint above 90ºF or something so the air doesn't get as cold anymore. The compressor is not running anywhere close to max speed so there's enough extra cooling capacity available. It could make the air colder if it wanted to, but it doesn't want to.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
For me the temp never catches up, even if I'm driving for an hour after a heat soak. Seems to only be related to outside temp. Manually increasing fan speed to max doesn't help either, the air coming out is not cold enough, only about 65ºF (normally like 50ºF). If I eventually get cold and want to increase the temp, I notice it's because outside temp had dropped below 90ºF. Sun load doesn't seem to make a huge difference, outside temp seems to be the primary determinant.

The behavior is odd to me, because in past Ford vehicles I never had to adjust the temp more than a degree the whole summer. In the Mach-E I have to adjust it quite a bit above 90ºF, but it works fine in the 70-90ºF range.

It's almost like the HVAC module raises the evaporator temp setpoint above 90ºF or something so the air doesn't get as cold anymore.
I could be experiencing the same as you now that I think more about it. I do often think the air isn't as cold as it was in my Fiesta, for example. Making the fan speed higher makes me feel better about it, but it doesn't make the air coming out of the vent any colder.

Air conditioning is weird in Phoenix with it being so dry most of the time... So if the "cold air" is only about 65 instead of 50 or whatever, and the inside of the car is 135 or whatever, it's still going to be cold enough to some degree for us Phoenicians. :)

But I fully agree with you... It ought to be colder and it's not clear why it isn't. I still wonder if some of the cold is being transferred to the battery pack.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well, my Mach-E on E-Heat keeps on turning recirc off. I have to fiddle with the HVAC settings way too much while driving in the cold. Apparently because the car thinks it knows better than me when I want outside air blown into the cabin. Recirc never stays set. I’ve never seen a car do that, and it’s honestly my main gripe with the car now.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I could be experiencing the same as you now that I think more about it. I do often think the air isn't as cold as it was in my Fiesta, for example. Making the fan speed higher makes me feel better about it, but it doesn't make the air coming out of the vent any colder.

Air conditioning is weird in Phoenix with it being so dry most of the time... So if the "cold air" is only about 65 instead of 50 or whatever, and the inside of the car is 135 or whatever, it's still going to be cold enough to some degree for us Phoenicians. :)

But I fully agree with you... It ought to be colder and it's not clear why it isn't. I still wonder if some of the cold is being transferred to the battery pack.
Yeah, you should maybe get a vent temp thermometer and monitor it. The gold standard for A/C is 55ºF vent temp. It should maintain that until you reach capacity saturation (compressor running at max speed), which probably isn't going to happen until 115º+F. Even in a dry climate you don't want to go much above 55ºF because it would require too much airflow to get good cooling. Because the Mach-E has a variable speed compressor and fans, it should be able to maintain any supply air temperature set point regardless of outside temps.

Well, my Mach-E on E-Heat keeps on turning recirc off. I have to fiddle with the HVAC settings way too much while driving in the cold. Apparently because the car thinks it knows better than me when I want outside air blown into the cabin. Recirc never stays set. I’ve never seen a car do that, and it’s honestly my main gripe with the car now.
The update will improve this, recirc will stay enabled longer. It will only shut off if it thinks the windows are about to fog/frost up from high internal humidity (excessive recirc use causes windows to fog in cool weather).

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
It’s really crazy to me that in a vehicle obsessed with efficiency they’ll purposefully override user input to the detriment of efficiency AND comfort for no tangible benefit. Do we really not have an internal humidity sensor? Seems like the HVAC system can just make sure it doesn’t get too high and keep recirc on which would use less energy and keep the internal temperature higher.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
-40c I hope😳
I am not out driving around at -40C too often. In fact it never gets to -40C too often (if ever) up here. How many ICE work well not plugged in in those temps? Square tires for a few miles for sure. Us retired guys can just be sitting beside the woodstove and lower than -30C a phone call starts to sound good.

All last winter in the -20C's this car was great for heat. Setting a departure schedule (plugged to 240V) will help a lot as it warms the pack and the cabin. Remote start just the cabin.

P.S.
The A/C works great up here also and works almost 100% of the time by just cracking a window and turning the hvac off. Good for range also. Unless it gets to 85F out there as that is ridiculously hot. ;)

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Hurrah! Something else that won’t get deployed outside the US for ages.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Not needed where I live.

Temps always above +50 degrees - sunny and clear all year around....

No climate controls needed - only the windows get rolled down...

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hurrah! Something else that won’t get deployed outside the US for ages.
I finally brought it in to get updated as OTA does not work. I was feeling good after as I finally could hang with the big kids. Then I blinked and that was over. If all goes as normal maybe around mid-summer for this one if lucky. Hoping to see it get better but not holding my breath yet.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I'm not seeing this update for my car, I updated it previously with FDRS so might not be anything new past TSB 22-2182 that was released last May? The CSP 22B28 mentioned also doesn't officially exist yet. Although some people have seen a new HVAC update show up in FDRS today.

Since the HVAC update, I have noticed issues with the A/C not ramping up enough when the exterior temp is above about 90ºF. When it gets above that temp, I have to lower my normal temp set point by up to 4ºF to keep the same interior temp. This seems like a calibration mistake. Curious what others in hot climates experience after the update.

Heat has been fine so far, but really hasn't been colder than 25ºF here yet.
Hi there. Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I'd be happy to look into things on my end.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
all these updates are great - but am i the only person that remembered Farley talking all that smack about how there would be a "major" update coming at the end of this year?

Are these updates that?
there might still be a "major" update... but remember... Ford timescales seem to be in some other dimension we don't fully understand... worse yet it could be coming "soon" o_O Nobody seems to have decoded what "soon" is in Ford speak.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
I truly hope to NEVER need that update!!! I'll just stay here in the South!!!
I hear you - living in the hot desert south western US makes me wonder what -15 degrees feels like.

I have never in my life experienced temps that low - maybe 0 degrees on a ski trip once ??
Sponsored