3 days later FE still says 200 mile range

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Magical, a reset instantly got me 25miles more at 99% charge!
82692AF1-4004-4742-8BD4-63F5B6B24FFA.jpeg
This is because it's just a wildly pessimistic guess based on how you've driven before, and a healthy dose of conservative estimating on top of that.

Serious suggestion - ignore it.

Unless you're on a trip, don't even look at the "Range" guess.

For day-to-day use, the Guess-O-Meter just adds stress.

I wish I could turn it off unless a route is active in the nav.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Seems like it’s 2.4m/kWh, that’s low right?

EC36257F-C61A-4849-854F-FFA34C41E208.jpeg
As others mentioned, that's low because you're using 26% power for heating the car interior. If you preconditioned the car when it was still plugged in and dialed back the cabin air temp and instead relied more on the heated seats then this would increase. Ford put out a notice in the Ford Pass app about how to improve range in cold weather.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Where are you spending your time driving? I presume a fair amount of I-5, 520, I-90, I-405? We haven't gotten above 47 degrees in the past two weeks, so you're going to see lower numbers, especially if you have e-Heat on. Highway takes a hit and the cold exaggerates it. The Mach E definitely does better with city driving. My first post charge reading was 224 (from 25%), second was 217 (from 17%) and a quick look at Ford Pass App indicates I'm on track for 247 on the current charge (at 53%) I've settled into a more calming Whisper mode and gotten past my need to "test" the exuberant acceleration. I prefer the seat and steering wheel warmers over e-Heat unless my wife is in the car. Be patient, you'll get there. I'm convinced the car is capable. This morning I got 3.5 Mi/KWH on a 10 mile trip mix of city and highway. If that sticks that comes out to 277 (assuming 10% battery remaining). The lifetime average of the car at this point is 2.8, which is 224.
If the extended range pack (what OP @jericho has) then getting 3.5 mi/kWh would result in a range of 308 miles.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Magical, a reset instantly got me 25miles more at 99% charge!
82692AF1-4004-4742-8BD4-63F5B6B24FFA.jpeg
Congrats! It truly is magical. lol, Now you have to drive like a granny to keep it that high. ;)

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Mine went to 250 after several 30 mile trips. It has crept up slightly over the week. That said, temps in the DC area have been higher than normal and that is clearly a factor.

Where do you see the __/Kw reading on the displays? I don't see one anywhere yet.

OP
OP
jericho

jericho

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
c8, Red '21 FE Mach E (traded), '23 Red GT
Country flag
Mine went to 250 after several 30 mile trips. It has crept up slightly over the week. That said, temps in the DC area have been higher than normal and that is clearly a factor.

Where do you see the __/Kw reading on the displays? I don't see one anywhere yet.
its in the trip computer screen, under the center icon with lots of squares :)

OP
OP
jericho

jericho

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
c8, Red '21 FE Mach E (traded), '23 Red GT
Country flag
Where are you spending your time driving? I presume a fair amount of I-5, 520, I-90, I-405? We haven't gotten above 47 degrees in the past two weeks, so you're going to see lower numbers, especially if you have e-Heat on. Highway takes a hit and the cold exaggerates it. The Mach E definitely does better with city driving. My first post charge reading was 224 (from 25%), second was 217 (from 17%) and a quick look at Ford Pass App indicates I'm on track for 247 on the current charge (at 53%) I've settled into a more calming Whisper mode and gotten past my need to "test" the exuberant acceleration. I prefer the seat and steering wheel warmers over e-Heat unless my wife is in the car. Be patient, you'll get there. I'm convinced the car is capable. This morning I got 3.5 Mi/KWH on a 10 mile trip mix of city and highway. If that sticks that comes out to 277 (assuming 10% battery remaining). The lifetime average of the car at this point is 2.8, which is 224.
thanks for all the advice! yes, it's been mostly jaunts up and down i405 for the last few days, 70-75mph highway... which i presume is one of the reasons for the low mile guess-o-matic numbers :) i also got the car with 57 miles of unknown driving (all those people who likely took it for a spin, and drove crazily)... so i'm going to see how it behaves now i have reset the driving history.

As for e-heat... when i didn't run with it - the car was cold... so i've had it on all the time... may need to figure out if the seat warmers+steering warmer does the trick... i know my wife wouldn't like it :) she gets cold easily....

Thanks for all the advice on this forum! really loving that i'm learning so much here!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
its in the trip computer screen, under the center icon with lots of squares :)
Thanks. I agree with what others have said about having that kw/ under the range maybe full time. I'll rarely look at the trip page.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Serious suggestion - ignore it.

Unless you're on a trip, don't even look at the "Range" guess.

For day-to-day use, the Guess-O-Meter just adds stress.

^^ I am going to eat my words and say that I agree with this statement.

My previous BEV only had about 120 miles of range on a full charge so the range estimation was much more important to me and quite frankly.....was very very accurate. It included the range estimation plus an over/under number right next to it to show me how my driving style/conditions was affecting that number. Very handy.

The Mach-E is different. First of all......that range estimation appears to be very conservative. Plus, the batteries in these things are MUCH larger than my Focus Electric so I don't even look at the range number while driving around in town. I use Engage most times and there is a large percentage graph on the driver's screen so that is all you really need to see for in town driving.

I do look at the "Where is my Energy Going screen?" while driving to get a feel how much energy I am using. You will notice that most folks will see higher energy consumption (and thus less range) in the mornings vs later in the afternoon. Later, when summer comes....it might be the other way around.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Touch the center icon in the header and then select the wavy symbol.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 3 days later FE still says 200 mile range 1614617893080

Alternatively, if you have looked at that screen recently......then there might be a card down in the secondary area that you can touch. It's a hot key that brings up that information back to your primary display area.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 3 days later FE still says 200 mile range 1614618039468

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks. I agree with what others have said about having that kw/ under the range maybe full time. I'll rarely look at the trip page.
If that information is important to you, then it will be there for you to see. Your SYNC learns what you like and puts it down there in the secondary screen area (Hot Card Area).

You can change the look of those cards a bit. There is an expanded and collapsed view. Just touch this button to toggle between the two modes. Here is what expanded looks like....

Ford Mustang Mach-E 3 days later FE still says 200 mile range 1614618756708

Last edited:

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
^^ I am going to eat my words and say that I agree with this statement.

My previous BEV only had about 120 miles of range on a full charge so the range estimation was much more important to me and quite frankly.....was very very accurate. It included the range estimation plus an over/under number right next to it to show me how my driving style/conditions was affecting that number. Very handy.

The Mach-E is different. First of all......that range estimation appears to be very conservative. Plus, the batteries in these things are MUCH larger than my Focus Electric so I don't even look at the range number while driving around in town. I use Engage most times and there is a large percentage graph on the driver's screen so that is all you really need to see for in town driving.

I do look at the "Where is my Energy Going screen?" while driving to get a feel how much energy I am using. You will notice that most folks will see higher energy consumption (and thus less range) in the mornings vs later in the afternoon. Later, when summer comes....it might be the other way around.
I'd be less worried about summer range because resistive heat (E-heat) has to bring the interior from let's say 30 degrees to 70 degrees (+40 degrees) and resistive heat is 100% efficient; whereas, A/C needs to bring down from 90 to 70 (-20 degrees) and A/C (heat pump) can be up to 300% efficient.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'd be less worried about summer range because resistive heat (E-heat) has to bring the interior from let's say 30 degrees to 70 degrees (+40 degrees) and resistive heat is 100% efficient; whereas, A/C needs to bring down from 90 to 70 (-20 degrees) and A/C (heat pump) can be up to 300% efficient.
The A/C works great during the summer. In my Focus Electric, running the A/C to cool the car from 115 degrees down to 75 degrees only decreased my range by 8-10%. It was a very small price to pay compared to heating the cabin in the winter. The MME might be different since it's much larger and many of us have that panoramic glass roof. Curious to see what happens myself. Not anxious......just curious. Summer can wait a while as far as I am concerned. :)

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
If the extended range pack (what OP @jericho has) then getting 3.5 mi/kWh would result in a range of 308 miles.
Yes, if you take the battery to zero. I don't recommend doing that. That's why I indicated 10% of battery remaining:

88KWH (usable) * 90% * 3.5 Miles/KWH = 277.2 Miles

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Having had a 85/100 mile range BEV for a couple years now, and driving to max out it's range I'm looking forward to testing out just how high I can get the range on the MME to go. While interior heating does have a substantial affect on the range the next biggest factor has to be speed (just like ICE.)

I do suspect it might be a bit more difficult to keep the speeds down in the MME, but I'm up to the task with periods of unbridled usage of course.
Sponsored