3 prong receptacle for our 4 prong plug. Please help!

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It is new… an add on to our solar installation. They’re going to provide a cord that supposedly acts as an adapter, but it’s on back order, current ETA is March. I’m hoping to find something much sooner.
Have the solar installer verify the gauge and type of wire used in the installation. Once you know that, you will be able to discern how much current the circuit can withstand. ??

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD, Audi TT, Nissan ElGrand
Country flag
That looks like new work, ask your electrician back to change the outlet.

If you look at the plug between the blades, you will see the writing NMEA 14-50 40A 250V~. The electrician needs to install a NMEA 14-50 outlet in place of the NMEA 6-50 that is there now.
Yep. Get the electrician back and hopefully swap for free. Or about $15 at Home Depot if you want to DIY, but make sure there is a GROUND wire in that box...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yep. Get the electrician back and hopefully swap for free. Or about $15 at Home Depot if you want to DIY, but make sure there is a GROUND wire in that box...
Ground wire in the box, but not necessarily run back to the panel. Using EMT (shown in his picture) as the EGC is code-compliant.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I’m dumbing this down to the number of plugs because we’re brand new to EVs, and I know almost nothing about electrical engineering. We had solar installed, including an EV plug. The receptacle is made for 3 prongs and the Mach E plug has 4. The solar company says the necessary cord is on back order… predicted delivery in March. Is there something we can buy now that will allow us to plug the car in there, or are we stuck with snail pace charging from a standard plug?
everything needed for a proper outlet/breaker installation to use the included Ford mobile charger with your MME is available online. The Solar company telling you materials are backordered until March is a terrible excuse for not completing the work.

Don't pay them another dime until install is complete, and watch how fast they find the parts.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Last edited:

aevans17

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e premium Awd
Country flag
you don’t “need” a neutral on a 240V circuit. I have the same 6-50r (female receptacle) in my garage and charged my Mach E for 1 month with it until I installed a 14-50R outside.

The only time you need a neutral is if the charger requires 120V for part of the unit. Since most have internal computers the computer portion will run off 12/5v DC and will have the converter to handle 240V AC to DC conversion built in.. My Ford charger did not have any problems running off my 6-50R and I am sure yours will be fine too.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
This is what I’m working with

57A219E1-5DF0-43E1-8F4C-B4ED603D5A4F.jpeg
Had the same issue back in the summer as the outlet was installed prior to getting the car. I simply went down to Home Depot and bought the correct receptacle, shut off the breaker and replaced the receptacle. I did do my homework online/youtube about correct way to wire it. Take pics/ vids of the original receptacle's wiring as your removing for reference. If uncomfortable get an electrician!!!

jfwyant1966

First Name
James Wyant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium eAWD XR Grabber Blue
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
only if the electrician ran a neutral. in this application it would work, but is dangerous.
This with 6 gauge wire is exactly what is recomended, with a 60 amp gfi breaker.

Last edited:

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Is that 1/2” conduit? If so, there is no way there are 3x#6 wires and a #8 ground in there. Best case there is 2 #6 and a #8 which is not code as well, so my eyes must be off and it’s 3/4” at which case, very tight squeeze with 2 hot, neutral and ground regardless of what the tables say.

OP- are you sure that is a 50amp circuit in the panel?? Please check that and let us know, regardless of what the plug receptacle says.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Is that 1/2” conduit? If so, there is no way there are 3x#6 wires and a #8 ground in there. Best case there is 2 #6 and a #8 which is not code as well, so my eyes must be off and it’s 3/4” at which case, very tight squeeze with 2 hot, neutral and ground regardless of what the tables say.

OP- are you sure that is a 50amp circuit in the panel?? Please check that and let us know, regardless of what the plug receptacle says.
It looks like 3/4” to me. Hard to tell for certain in a picture.
No grounding conductor required - EMT can serve that purpose. I have no issues pulling 3 #6s in 3/4, but with 1/2, it’s a no-go.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There are a lot of EVSE’s for home use (“chargers”) that are available with 6-50 plugs. ChargePoint Home Flex, Juice Box, etc. At some point you might want to consider getting one of those and keeping the Ford Mobile Charger in the car for use in the road when needed.
Sponsored