3 prong receptacle for our 4 prong plug. Please help!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That plug is a 50 amp 3 prong (no neutral) and will work as is with an adapter. Buy this adapter or one similar and you’re all set!

ONETAK NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R 240V Compact 50 Amp 3 Prong Male Plug to 50 Amp 4 prong https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V94TD6P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0YZMD7X8479TPAMXZ31Z

It would be better to have the Installer remove/replace with the correct receptacle... a NEMA 14-50 is less than $20 at any decent hardware store. There really is no excuse for the installer not to have gotten the correct one to match your charger.

It is not a great idea to go thru adapters if you can avoid it.... more connections, more possible errors, arcing, disconnections, etc.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It would be better to have the Installer remove/replace with the correct receptacle... a NEMA 14-50 is less than $20 at any decent hardware store. There really is no excuse for the installer not to have gotten the correct one to match your charger.

It is not a great idea to go thru adapters if you can avoid it.... more connections, more possible errors, arcing, disconnections, etc.
Agree - it shouldn’t take much to upgrade the installation.

I think the adapter is a perfectly safe stopgap measure, especially since the FMC only draws 32A. But I’d have the proper receptacle installed as soon as it was convenient.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My EVSE has a 6-50P on its pigtail so I wired in a 6-50R back when I got my Fusion Energi. I have never tried to use the FordPass Mobile Charger. I have half a mind to get one of those adapter cables, unplug the big monster on the wall, and try out my mobile charger just to make sure the thing works. ?‍♂?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My EVSE has a 6-50P on its pigtail so I wired in a 6-50R back when I got my Fusion Energi. I have never tried to use the FordPass Mobile Charger. I have half a mind to get one of those adapter cables, unplug the big monster on the wall, and try out my mobile charger just to make sure the thing works. ?‍♂?
Since virtually no EVSEs require a neutral, I kind of wonder why they (semi) standardized on the 14-50. Just so we can charge at campgrounds? I had a 6-50 for my welder long before I even contemplated an EV.

jfwyant1966

First Name
James Wyant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium eAWD XR Grabber Blue
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
That’s for the FCCS which is hard-wired. It does not plug into a 50A receptacle.
You just have to scroll down to see the outlet instructions. Not that dificult.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
The outlet instructions refer to the 32A Ford Mobile Charger EVSE, not the 48A Ford Connected Charging Station EVSE.

60A breaker protecting a 50A outlet is a violation of code.

jfwyant1966

First Name
James Wyant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
The outlet instructions refer to the 32A Ford Mobile Charger EVSE, not the 48A Ford Connected Charging Station EVSE.

60A breaker protecting a 50A outlet is a violation of code.
Yes, I was wrong about the 60 amp. I checked it anf it's a 50 amp gfi that is installed. I had mine done and inspected. I think I'm good.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not difficult at all.
Page 1 is for the FCCS which states 60A hard-wired circuit.
Page 2 is for the FMC which states 50A receptacle circuit.
Nothing anywhere says to wire a 50A receptacle on a 60A breaker.

What did I miss?

jfwyant1966

First Name
James Wyant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
Not difficult at all.
Page 1 is for the FCCS which states 60A hard-wired circuit.
Page 2 is for the FMC which states 50A receptacle circuit.
Nothing anywhere says to wire a 50A receptacle on a 60A breaker.

What did I miss?
Yes, I was wrong about the 60 amp. I checked it anf it's a 50 amp gfi that is installed. I had mine done and inspected. I think I'm good.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
This with 6 gauge wire is exactly what is recomended, with a 60 amp gfi breaker.
I said IF the electrician ran a neutral you could swap the plug, IF he didnt you COULD still swap the plug but it would be dangerous since you would have an open neutral, it would work fine for an EVSE though.

And not a 60 amp breaker for a 50 amp recepticle, the breaker MUST be same size or smaller in this instance.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Since virtually no EVSEs require a neutral, I kind of wonder why they (semi) standardized on the 14-50. Just so we can charge at campgrounds? I had a 6-50 for my welder long before I even contemplated an EV.

Yeah, I already had 50 foot of #6/2 copper in my garage connected to a 50 amp breaker, I sure as hell wasnt gonna replace it with 60 foot of 6/3, bought an EVSE with a 6-50 and called it done, but bought the adapter too so if i need to use the ford mobile one I can.

I also installed a 14-50 at my dads, but thats because his breaker box is in the garage, it literally took me 15 minutes with an offset nipple and some tapcons.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had 6-50 already in my garage from the previous owner so I bought the Grizzl-e EVSE that you can buy with a 6-50 plug properly installed from the factory. It would be nice if it had 14-50 installed in the garage, but 6-50 is perfectly fine (just limits your EVSE options).

jfwyant1966

First Name
James Wyant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
I said IF the electrician ran a neutral you could swap the plug, IF he didnt you COULD still swap the plug but it would be dangerous since you would have an open neutral, it would work fine for an EVSE though.

And not a 60 amp breaker for a 50 amp recepticle, the breaker MUST be same size or smaller in this instance.
As I stated in a couple posts earlier, I was mistaken about the 60amp. It is a 50amp gfi. My electrician ran 6/3 to it. My setup was installed by a licensed electrician and inspected. I think I'm good to go.
Sponsored