30% charging equipment credit renewed for 2021

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Now, if only the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue would actually sign the Bill,

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I busted my butt to get in for the deadline, but I'm not mad about the extension. I now have a whole year to get other EVSE's installed in other places! :D
Pretty sure that the credit is limited to your primary home:
If the property isn’t business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home
https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
Pretty sure that the credit is limited to your primary home:
If the property isn’t business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home
https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911
That's when claiming on personal use (Part III on Form 8911) which has a cap of $1,000 paid out. Part II of the form is for business use, which has a cap of $30,000 paid out.

I should note that the places I want to have EVSE's are both friends' homes I visit and businesses I'll visit. ;) (When it's safe to travel, of course.)

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
That's when claiming on personal use (Part III on Form 8911) which has a cap of $1,000 paid out. Part II of the form is for business use, which has a cap of $30,000 paid out.

I should note that the places I want to have EVSE's are both friends' homes I visit and businesses I'll visit. ;) (When it's safe to travel, of course.)
If you don't own those properties, you can't get the credit. Visiting them doesn't count.

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
If you don't own those properties, you can't get the credit. Visiting them doesn't count.
… who said I would get the cash credit for other people's install? I never claimed that.

Even with the work I did to get the EVSE installed in my apartment, the landlord gets the 30% as the landlord paid for the install. I brought all the documentation of the credit to the landlord's attention, who then approved the project as the costs were reduced.

What I'm saying is that with IRS 8911 back in play, my case for convincing others to do the work within next year is easier.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
… who said I would get the cash credit for other people's install? I never claimed that.

Even with the work I did to get the EVSE installed in my apartment, the landlord gets the 30% as the landlord paid for the install. I brought all the documentation of the credit to the landlord's attention, who then approved the project as the costs were reduced.

What I'm saying is that with IRS 8911 back in play, my case for convincing others to do the work within next year is easier.
fair enough

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry, I need clarification:

So if I buy and have installed a Ford charger, I would get a 30% credit on the equipment.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OP
OP
RyZt

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Sorry, I need clarification:

So if I buy and have installed a Ford charger, I would get a 30% credit on the equipment.
I'm not a lawyer/accountant. As far as I know, installing a 14-50 outlet (or any outlet, power panel, etc) intended primarily for EV charging also qualifies. You don't have to install a hard-wired EVSE.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm not a lawyer/accountant. As far as I know, installing a 14-50 outlet (or any outlet, power panel, etc) intended primarily for EV charging also qualifies. You don't have to install a hard-wired EVSE.
Correct. The electrician's cost (or raw materials cost if you're doing it yourself) plus the cost of the EVSE itself would be eligible for the 30% deduction, up to a maximum deduction of $1000.
Sponsored