Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It was buried amongst my many words. All at highway speeds, no stopping. ~69 mph(111 kph) outbound 59 mph (95 kph) inbound.
Did you find a speed that was the the best balance between energy for heating and energy for speed? Lowest consumption speed or could have you slowed down to say 50 mph both ways and made it no problems?

Bit surprising the GOM and consumption are both off for you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Did you find a speed that was the the best balance between energy for heating and energy for speed? Lowest consumption speed or could have you slowed down to say 50 mph both ways and made it no problems?
I didn't try. I wanted to know what I could get out of the car without any compromise or pretrip preparation. The next distance test will be the same but with preheating and departure time set. I'll probably throw in a cold weather fast charge at the midpoint if the new charger in Healy is online.

AKPat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME GTPE, ‘14 F-350 DRW, ‘19 Edge ST
Country flag
My GT-PE will be delivered next week, so more testing to follow. I didn't know the gray power meter grays out relative to the cold temps.
Here are a couple of pics from this afternoon. It warmed up to 10 degrees today, but it was still showing about a third of the graph grayed out.

1B0CB38E-F96D-4961-B064-2E4B66E10810.jpeg

9A130ECF-0DEE-4A59-BE8D-F690B93BDF3C.jpeg

AKPat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME GTPE, ‘14 F-350 DRW, ‘19 Edge ST
Country flag
This has me thinking that a diesel coolant heater could be very useful for EVs in such extreme temps. Could be used to precondition the vehicle/battery when not plugged in, and provide heat during driving to save range. The Espar and Planar hydronic units are very fuel efficient. They can put out 5Kw of heat while using 0.16 gallons of fuel per hour. One of these could be installed in the frunk with a small 1 gallon fuel tank. The tough part would be trying to figure out how to plumb it into the vehicle‘ complicated coolant system and integrating controls. Could be a niche modification market in higher latitudes…

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I didn't try. I wanted to know what I could get out of the car without any compromise or pretrip preparation. The next distance test will be the same but with preheating and departure time set. I'll probably throw in a cold weather fast charge at the midpoint if the new charger in Healy is online.
Was thinking if you had of dropped down to 80 km/hr (whatever) could of you avoided the whole intown 120V hopping? It is an EV and just wondering how far it can go in absolutely ridiculous temps.

For us those temps do not work well even for ice if not plugged in or left running. Soaked was pushing it a bit and I think plugged in and preconditioned is a better real life test. It did OK soaked was my take away. It is hard to explain what driving on square tires is but you did it well.

RV Extender
for getting to a stove/welding/RV outlet ;).

I did single runs and turning around when I hit 60% for my short season cold weather tests last year to get a handle on its limitations. Will be running 800 km next week but day time is only just below freezing so it will be good. After -20 oC charging to 100% would be helpful or we have the same outcome as you. When you hit 80% on your first leg from home just remember that is as good as it gets for the rest of your adventure. Stay warm.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
And here I am debating driving the Explorer on Thanksgiving day (5.5 hour round trip) instead of the MMe because the temps will only be in the mid 30's ?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And here I am debating driving the Explorer on Thanksgiving day (5.5 hour round trip) instead of the MMe because the temps will only be in the mid 30's ?
Plan your chargers and read some plugshare reviews to make sure you are good. Around 32 here lately was running around 26 km/100 km (2.4) @ 65 mph. 0.7 x 88 KW. They say don't use the range display but now @Mopey has me guessing the consumption display. We have a GOM and a GOCD? Got to trust one. Could of been his temp was so extreme it was off the programed scale ;). It works in -35 F (-35 C) which is cool as a lot of ice would put up a fuss at those temps and their block heaters would need to be plugged in to give then a chance.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Plan your chargers and read some plugshare reviews to make sure you are good. Around 32 here lately was running around 26 km/100 km (2.4) @ 65 mph. 0.7 x 88 KW. They say don't use the range display but now @Mopey has me guessing the consumption display. We have a GOM and a GOCD? Got to trust one. Could of been his temp was so extreme it was off the programed scale ;). It works in -35 F (-35 C) which is cool as a lot of ice would put up a fuss at those temps and their block heaters would need to be plugged in to give then a chance.
I appreciate the feedback. I was being funny, or trying. We're going to take the Mach-e. I've owned this since February, so I've done this run before. Unfortunately, we have to do all the driving on Thanksgiving day because my wife fosters kittens. In-laws have a 50amp plug so that's nice, but depending on when we arrive/leave, it probably won't give us enough juice to make it home, which is what happened this past March so we had to stop at EA. It gave my wife a good scare when 3/4 units weren't working on her first road charging experience haha.

This time, I'm going to charge some on the way there, then use the 50a to push to 100% and leave at a descent hour.

Happy Thanksgiving sir!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This has me thinking that a diesel coolant heater could be very useful for EVs in such extreme temps. Could be used to precondition the vehicle/battery when not plugged in, and provide heat during driving to save range. The Espar and Planar hydronic units are very fuel efficient. They can put out 5Kw of heat while using 0.16 gallons of fuel per hour. One of these could be installed in the frunk with a small 1 gallon fuel tank. The tough part would be trying to figure out how to plumb it into the vehicle‘ complicated coolant system and integrating controls. Could be a niche modification market in higher latitudes…
You might need to vent the exhaust where it won't get sucked into the cabin vents, too.

Doing that completely subverts the point of having a BEV - you might as well just buy a PHEV instead.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Wow, Now I just feel guilty for complaining this morning how cold is was in Atlanta!!!

Great write up by the way. I hope to NEVER need the information you provided!!!

Snowrider69

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Country flag
? quite the write up. Greatly appreciate the details and analysis. Thankfully, my MME will never see -35 degree weather. This is definitely a confidence booster that the car will perform under most normal winter driving conditions...kudos to Ford. Looking forward to successive posts.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@Mopey Thinking due to other threads you are aware of what if we remote start it for 15 minutes and then walk out, power the vehicle to on, shut hvac off and walk away. Think it would heat the batteries on shore power? How long would you need it to run I wonder? Watch the GOM in the app and see if it increases the range would be a clue if anything is happening?

Sin_Chase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this research and report on it. I'll never experience the same sub zero temperatures you will in my climate but its nice to know what the real world outcomes are likely to be on the odd occasion it drops to -5 Deg C or so!

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
@Mopey Thinking due to other threads you are aware of what if we remote start it for 15 minutes and then walk out, power the vehicle to on, shut hvac off and walk away. Think it would heat the batteries on shore power? How long would you need it to run I wonder? Watch the GOM in the app and see if it increases the range would be a clue if anything is happening?
Yes, I keep a close eye on all the cold weather threads and recommendations. During this unusual, early cold snap I've observed a number of Mach E extreme cold weather climate control shortcomings that are going to require additional driver intervention\actions.

This test focused on worse case range. It's clear I need to conduct a series of additional climate control tests to figure out the quickest way to warm the battery and the cabin when the car is cold-soaked. I'll plan on doing those tests in a more scientific manner with cabin and battery temperature monitoring. It will take a while to have enough data to make some accurate recommendations. From some additional observations the last few days, it is looking like the climate 'off', or on 'lo', for a period of time will be the quickest way to warm the cabin and keep the battery happy.

Another area I want to investigate: If the heater for coolant loop is 5kw does that mean there will be no preheating if you have the car plugged in to a 120v outlet vs. a 240v one? It certainly seems that would be the case.
Sponsored

Last edited: