36,000 mile report card

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Cool. Thanks! If that is the case then getting a license for FDRS will be in my future. I am pretty sure I can learn how to use it. Very little risk at this point of causing more damage....

I might need it anyway since now my windows don't work so I will have to start trouble shooting what the issue could be. ???
Unfortunately, I have learned a bit more since my recent attempts - I don't think you can really revert the firmware modules unless you actually have the old firmware binaries yourself (VBF files) and even then you probably need to use Forscan to do it, which is too risky even for me. FDRS appears to only move forward, for better or worse. I also have to note - I am far, far from being an expert on FDRS, flashing modules, firmware versioning etc. I would defer to someone like @benk016 for that.

The other potential issue would be whatever else was part of the update...I'm not 100% sure, but I think the OTA that changed the brake feel (which I and others implemented via FDRS) was the powertrain control module, and I think only the engineers at the mothership know whether anything else important was changed in that update. Even if you could revert it, ultimately your hand may be forced if/when future models depend on the PCM to be a certain version etc.
Sponsored

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Cool. Thanks! If that is the case then getting a license for FDRS will be in my future. I am pretty sure I can learn how to use it. Very little risk at this point of causing more damage....

I might need it anyway since now my windows don't work so I will have to start trouble shooting what the issue could be. ???
Even though going backwards sounds like a no go, Iā€™d still get a second opinion on whatā€™s going on with your car in FDRS. Given youā€™re seeing things just fall off the functioning list youā€™ve got something corrupted.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I only use 1PD and noticed less Regen also. I confirmed L mode is still the same as Unbridled 1PD.
I only use 2PD and also observed less regen at higher speeds. At speeds above 50 mph or so, it feels weaker than before. Below 45 mph it feels same as before. L feels about the same as best as I can tell. L is like Unbridled on demand without the heavy steering and annoying orange graphics

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would disconnect the 12 volt battery for a few minutes if I were you.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Sorry to hear all this, especially about the alteration in brake feel. I would say Ford should take the approach of ā€˜if it ainā€™t broke donā€™t fix itā€™, but people have complained about it which is why I suppose they fiddled with it. I have no issue with the way my brakes feel and donā€™t really want to take the dice roll on a change.

That being said, @SnBGC, it seems like your specific car might be having a cascade of problems far beyond what other people are experiencing. If you are otherwise happy with your Mach-E, and it seems like you are, why not try to get Ford to buy it back or if they refuse and you donā€™t want it to turn into a legal matter, sell it on Carmax or the like and buy another Mach-E?

I donā€™t know what used prices are for First Edition Mach-Es with 36,000 miles, but my SR AWD Premium is now getting online offers for $6k over MSRP with 6,000+ miles on the odometer. You still might come out ahead, even when factoring in any sales tax you paid at the time of purchase, because you presumably also were able to take the federal tax credit. At least if you want a Mach-E, it would make sense if you can find one for MSRP, which maybe isnā€™t so easy just now.

Also, particularly for software issues, it seems unfair that Ford would apply a 36,000 mile warranty limit to this car. It seems to me until they get better about the OTA functionality, dealer trips to resolve software-based problems should be comped.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Sorry to hear all this, especially about the alteration in brake feel. I would say Ford should take the approach of ā€˜if it ainā€™t broke donā€™t fix itā€™, but people have complained about it which is why I suppose they fiddled with it. I have no issue with the way my brakes feel and donā€™t really want to take the dice roll on a change.

That being said, @SnBGC, it seems like your specific car might be having a cascade of problems far beyond what other people are experiencing. If you are otherwise happy with your Mach-E, and it seems like you are, why not try to get Ford to buy it back or if they refuse and you donā€™t want it to turn into a legal matter, sell it on Carmax or the like and buy another Mach-E?

I donā€™t know what used prices are for First Edition Mach-Es with 36,000 miles, but my SR AWD Premium is now getting online offers for $6k over MSRP with 6,000+ miles on the odometer. You still might come out ahead, even when factoring in any sales tax you paid at the time of purchase, because you presumably also were able to take the federal tax credit. At least if you want a Mach-E, it would make sense if you can find one for MSRP, which maybe isnā€™t so easy just now.

Also, particularly for software issues, it seems unfair that Ford would apply a 36,000 mile warranty limit to this car. It seems to me until they get better about the OTA functionality, dealer trips to resolve software-based problems should be comped.
I would not buy another Mach-E.

I have submitted for purchase offers from online used car places. It will be interested to see what they come back with.

Deleted member 9461

@SnBGC,
I agree with all of it, my work phone is a flip phone, the dealer got poopy faced about a second FOB, deal breaker- tried to explain PAAK, second fob or I walk, the ride was BAAAADDDDD, I've owned 10 jeeps, and my electric van is stiffy. but between the Mach and the "OTHER GUY" yea...WTF ford...you trying to lose the ev war.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
@SnBGC,
I agree with all of it, my work phone is a flip phone, the dealer got poopy faced about a second FOB, deal breaker- tried to explain PAAK, second fob or I walk, the ride was BAAAADDDDD, I've owned 10 jeeps, and my electric van is stiffy. but between the Mach and the "OTHER GUY" yea...WTF ford...you trying to lose the ev war.
We also have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe High Altitude. First year for Jeep too. Totally different experience. It has received two OTAs without drama. The new software corrected an issue where the guide lines sometimes would not show on the backup camera screen and fixed the glitch for left side buttons on backside of steering wheel. Also addresses some concern about the charging system.

No other systems were negatively affected. Would consider an EV Gladiator if they ever built one.

What I need is an EV with room for 5 and some cargo or fold down rear seats for when I carry my tools plus I REALLY need a power outlet station. 1500 watts would be enough but 5000 would be even better. :)

20220429_122810.jpg

20220429_122718.jpg

20220429_122728.jpg

Deleted member 9461

We also have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe High Altitude. First year for Jeep too. Totally different experience. It has received two OTAs without drama. The new software corrected an issue where the guide lines sometimes would not show on the backup camera screen and fixed the glitch for left side buttons on backside of steering wheel. Also addresses some concern about the charging system.

No other systems were negatively affected. Would consider an EV Gladiator if they ever built one.

What I need is an EV with room for 5 and some cargo or fold down rear seats for when I carry my tools plus I REALLY need a power outlet station. 1500 watts would be enough but 5000 would be even better. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E 36,000 mile report card 20220429_122728

you win

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
RE CarPlay and iPhones...........

Today I picked up from service getting the windshield recall completed. Put the FOB in the faraday pouch and in the glove box where it lives and my phone was working fine as a key. Drove home, picked up the wife and we went to the grocery store. My PAAK worked fine again. Got in the car to come home, PAAK worked fine until about half way home and I lost BT connection and wife's iPhone CarPlay connected. At home my PAAK would not work. Let it sit for about 15min and went out to try again. It worked fine but there was an extra iPhone in the list so I deleted 1 and alls seems fine now. Strange

OP, I can totally understand your frustration at this time. Some things are just not acceptable.
We deleted my wife's iPhone and then re-paired it to the car and that seems to work. We did one test and her phone could be paired to the car with CarPlay card showing in the secondary area of Sync while the native Ford nav route guidance continued unaffected. However, switching over to CarPlay cancels the route in the native nav.

So, much better but still not as good as it once was. I can work with this. I don't need two navigation routes running at once anyway. The CarPlay nav turn by turn message doesn't show in the driver's screen though. Something is there but it doesn't have any useful info. Is that how it has always been with CarPlay? (I don't remember....)

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Even though going backwards sounds like a no go, Iā€™d still get a second opinion on whatā€™s going on with your car in FDRS. Given youā€™re seeing things just fall off the functioning list youā€™ve got something corrupted.
If I decide to keep the car then I will get the FDRS license and hope the folks here can walk me through the rebuild process.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
If I decide to keep the car then I will get the FDRS license and hope the folks here can walk me through the rebuild process.
Maybe you are not leaving us? Great! I do really think your experience is not a Ford problem, but a dealer FDRS update problem. So many people on this forum have successfully updated their cars and have not experienced the issues you have. But I totally agree the software is the car's weak point.

I get weird glitches now and then, and they are annoying. PaaK works almost 100% of the time for me. Almost. Which is also annoying, but I don't carry a Fob and have never been stranded. Walk away lock works 100% of the time but I have had weird issues when doing a lot of opening doors and the hatch - for some reason there is a combination that messes up walk away lock. Have not had that happen for a long time, though. So another weird glitch?

Anyway, I still look forward to driving my car. Every time. It is my favorite car from all I have owned. Sorry the last 1,000 ruined that for you.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
With a fully updated car as of Friday, I can say that the brake regeneration change is very noticeable. I used to turn on L, and when I came off the accelerator that car would noticeably brake. It barely brakes at all now. It will take some getting used to this change.

Also, while I'm not a FORSCan expert, I used it a bit on my 2013 F-150. I am of the belief that while some things can be changed back to "As Built", whether with FORScan or FDRS, you can't turn back the clock on everything and make the entire vehicle just like it came off the line.

Also, to point out some things on warranty. First, Ford has not made any statement on whether a vehicle will be updated, whether by OTA or by the dealer, after the expiration of the 36 months / 36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty. Second, any issue that you had before warranty expired that continues after warranty expired, still needs to be handled by them for free. So, if they did an update before it expired and that broke something, they'd have to fix it after warranty expired. Third, if they do updates after warranty expired and that breaks anything, they'll have to fix it.

I expect OTA updates to continue after warranty expiration. I expect dealer updates for non-crucial things to go away in the next few months. Dealers are unhappy, the process is slow, and Ford has to figure out the OTA process ASAP. You cannot have a CEO proclaim that vehicles will be updated overnight, and then not do so.

Last edited:

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
@SnBGC,
Iā€™ll never understand why dealers pitch a freakin fit over a Fob!!! I was able to get ours to cough one up but it was like pulling teeth!!!
Sponsored