Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Update:
CarPlay fix only half works. If wife's iPhone is plugged in then it doesn't affect the navigation functions. Connecting via Bluetooth still has the issue unfortunately. :(

I also have isolated the key fob issue and can duplicate it on demand. If I approach my locked car and kick to open the liftgate, then I have to wait for the liftgate to close before it will let me pop open the driver's door. I can press that button as much as I want and nothing happens until the liftgate finishes closing.

If I open the liftgate with the rubber button or attempt to open a door with the liftgate fully open then the fob works fine. The car only ignores the fob while the liftgate is in the process of closing and even then, only if it was kick to open in the first place.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Cool! Thanks. Do you have the URL for this site? I better pay now vs pay later. I never get extended warranty but in this case the car is telling me that I better reconsider. I am at 14 months and 36,500 miles.
https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/
"Stop Safely now" or you may go over 41k!
Good luck! We didn't by our 21 Powerboost from them, but they had the best price on Ford's ESP so easy decision for us.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Yes. But updates can be turned off. Something I wish I had done on day 1. Live and learn. Actually, after the first Power Up caused my car to display the Stop Safely Now message, I turned off Auto Updates. I still got the notices but I decided where and when to allow the update to install. My mistake was to allow the dealer to attempt the 3 software updates. I believed that updating via cable was much safer than over the air but I didn't account for sloppy software. Bad software is still bad software no matter what the installation method.
We can agree to disagree, I'll let you recapture your thread. While I can't tell you what the dealer did wrong, I don't blame windows if I rip the power cord out mid-update and fry my entire setup as a result. And frankly, that sounds like what your dealer did to your car. If a layman can do it right and have a happy car, a dealer should be able to figure out the errors in less than 3 days time.

But you seem happy with the dealers efforts and more than willing to blame software, so we'll agree to disagree.

Best of luck getting it fixed or sold.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
used to turn on L, and when I came off the accelerator that car would noticeably brake. It barely brakes at all now. It will take some getting used to this change.
Which mode is the car in normally Rick? Engaged, Whisper, unbridled? Or does it matter in your experience?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We use Engaged all the time.

Only drove with the updates about 15 miles, and only played with L a little bit, but it is dramatically different vs pre-updates.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
We use Engaged all the time.

Only drove with the updates about 15 miles, and only played with L a little bit, but it is dramatically different vs pre-updates.
Thanks, I was trying to see if it was related to mode, speed or what not. I use 1pd exclusively so this is all foreign to be anyway.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
We can agree to disagree, I'll let you recapture your thread. While I can't tell you what the dealer did wrong, I don't blame windows if I rip the power cord out mid-update and fry my entire setup as a result. And frankly, that sounds like what your dealer did to your car. If a layman can do it right and have a happy car, a dealer should be able to figure out the errors in less than 3 days time.

But you seem happy with the dealers efforts and more than willing to blame software, so we'll agree to disagree.

Best of luck getting it fixed or sold.
The dealer successfully updated other Mach-Es prior to attempting same on my car. Are you saying they used a different procedure on my vehicle that cause the software to fail? That seems ridiculous. The tech that worked on my car is EV certified. He said he followed the instructions and it didn't work. They called Ford and they suggested a few things and that didn't work either.

There is zero doubt the software is faulty. Zero. In fact, the dealer called to say some new software is available and they want me to bring in my car for another try. If the software was perfect already, then why is there a new version issued late last week?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The dealer successfully updated other Mach-Es prior to attempting same on my car. Are you saying they used a different procedure on my vehicle that cause the software to fail? That seems ridiculous. The tech that worked on my car is EV certified. He said he followed the instructions and it didn't work. They called Ford and they suggested a few things and that didn't work either.

There is zero doubt the software is faulty. Zero. In fact, the dealer called to say some new software is available and they want me to bring in my car for another try. If the software was perfect already, then why is there a new version issued late last week?
As you probably have seen, other forum members who do their own FDRS updates have seen updates released that are not the right version for their model MME. In some cases it has caused issues with their cars. A few days after releasing the software Ford pulls it back and it is no longer available, obviously when they realize they made a mistake. Maybe this happened when the dealer updated your car. Just a guess.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Update:
CarPlay fix only half works. If wife's iPhone is plugged in then it doesn't affect the navigation functions. Connecting via Bluetooth still has the issue unfortunately. :(

I also have isolated the key fob issue and can duplicate it on demand. If I approach my locked car and kick to open the liftgate, then I have to wait for the liftgate to close before it will let me pop open the driver's door. I can press that button as much as I want and nothing happens until the liftgate finishes closing.

If I open the liftgate with the rubber button or attempt to open a door with the liftgate fully open then the fob works fine. The car only ignores the fob while the liftgate is in the process of closing and even then, only if it was kick to open in the first place.
Hi there! I would be happy to look into your Mach-E's concerns on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Mach-E's VIN?

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
I love my Mach E but the software sucks big time.
Things like this just remind me of how my I love my 2000 Trans Am. It just works.
I'm a software developer and small business owner. If I put out stuff like Ford, I would be out of business.
Quality is not Job 1 for Ford. It's like 10 or later.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
As you probably have seen, other forum members who do their own FDRS updates have seen updates released that are not the right version for their model MME. In some cases it has caused issues with their cars. A few days after releasing the software Ford pulls it back and it is no longer available, obviously when they realize they made a mistake. Maybe this happened when the dealer updated your car. Just a guess.
I was not aware of that. I will try and give my dealer a call today and see what they say about that. Thanks.

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
These are the things that bother me the most to their software engineers are numbers is it past the rewrite of the software, compile it and it now has a bunch of bugs that it didn't happen before they continue to make it difficult to have anybody want to update the car whatsoever. I am not a fan of blue Cruise because it's a very incomplete solution for driving down the highway without your hands it's just silly if it doesn't follow navigation. I am not someone who farts around on my phone while I'm driving. I will say the opening and closing of the doors and the modem issues etc. have made me rethink ever owning an electric car. On the plus side having a sticker for the carpool lane here in California is nice and paying less than half to fill her up sort of speak is a nice bonus but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's helping the environment whatsoever it just means that they're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Marketing is sometimes a cruel reminder that just because they say you need it doesn't mean that you do.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
A couple of items to add to my report card.....

1. At the end of the day, this is still an electric car with great range, lots of style, room for 5 and quite a bit of cargo as well. Yes the software is glitchy and frustrating, but still better than burning fossil fuels.
  2. Active Park Assist is a useless feature if you have 360 camera view. Ford should delete the park assist in favor of the 360 view on all cars going forward. I have had my car for 14 months, never used it. Never even tried it out. I had a coworker riding with me the other day and he asked what that button was for so we tried it out. I think my dog could park the car better. I would just ditch the feature and let people park with the 360 camera view if they need the help.

20220427_132042.jpg

20220427_132046.jpg

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
We deleted my wife's iPhone and then re-paired it to the car and that seems to work. We did one test and her phone could be paired to the car with CarPlay card showing in the secondary area of Sync while the native Ford nav route guidance continued unaffected. However, switching over to CarPlay cancels the route in the native nav.

So, much better but still not as good as it once was. I can work with this. I don't need two navigation routes running at once anyway. The CarPlay nav turn by turn message doesn't show in the driver's screen though. Something is there but it doesn't have any useful info. Is that how it has always been with CarPlay? (I don't remember....)
There is definitely some software issues that Ford need to resolves. I suspect some it has to do with the order of the installs.

I've had my car for almost 15 months and have never taken into the dealer for any updates. All of the updates have been OTA. I am at Ford Power-UP 2.8.3. I've even had Blue Cruise for a month now. I'm kind of afraid to take it and have the dealer do any updates at this point.

I have an iPhone and use Apple Carplay. If I set a destination in Google Maps or Apple Maps, then the car will cancel the navigation in the Ford App and that has always been the way it has worked for me. It is interesting that recently started for you. One recent change in Carplay is that Google Maps has the car at the very bottom of the map screen which is troublesome.

PAAK has mostly worked for me but this weekend it failed. The funny thing is that it my phone is listed in the PAAK section but it won't connect and my phone says to set up PAAK.

Good luck with your next car and sorry to see you go.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
There is definitely some software issues that Ford need to resolves. I suspect some it has to do with the order of the installs.

I've had my car for almost 15 months and have never taken into the dealer for any updates. All of the updates have been OTA. I am at Ford Power-UP 2.8.3. I've even had Blue Cruise for a month now. I'm kind of afraid to take it and have the dealer do any updates at this point.

I have an iPhone and use Apple Carplay. If I set a destination in Google Maps or Apple Maps, then the car will cancel the navigation in the Ford App and that has always been the way it has worked for me. It is interesting that recently started for you. One recent change in Carplay is that Google Maps has the car at the very bottom of the map screen which is troublesome.

PAAK has mostly worked for me but this weekend it failed. The funny thing is that it my phone is listed in the PAAK section but it won't connect and my phone says to set up PAAK.

Good luck with your next car and sorry to see you go.
CarPlay turn by turn is now showing in the driver's screen. Just started this evening. Weird, but I'll take it. I prefer the Ford native nav but like mentioned earlier, there are sometimes where CarPlay is more convenient. What I don't like about the nav in iPhone (not sure if it's Google or Apple), it that it doesn't auto zoom based on speed. I have grown accustomed to slowing down and then the screen zooms in with such detail that it actually shows both directions of travel for the surface streets. The CarPlay map just has a big arrow on a thin line and I sometimes miss my turn. :( Probably something that I just need more practice with, but the Ford Nav spoils me so much that it's hard to give up.

Even so, I ordered another vehicle. No clue when it will arrive. I don't expect it this year so I will keep the Mach-E until at least then. Wife said she might want it. She doesn't drive as much as I do so the nuisances that I complain about aren't really that important to her. The Mach-E is grandfathered here in Arizona in respect to registration fees so that might be a compelling factor. Plus the 360 camera view and native nav are industry leading in my opinion. For comparison, the Mach-E cost $71 to register it for 5 years here in AZ. Her Wrangler 4xe costs $1400 for two years! She will probably give up the Wrangler to keep the Mach-E.

Our secondary plan is to sell it at Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale Jan 2023. That might be interesting. Being a First Edition with the little statue and certificate might amount to something. Not sure, everything could change between now and then. No more Ford vehicles though. I've owned too many of them anyway. If you don't count my fleet vehicles.....I think I have owned 10 different Ford vehicles since 2002. Been a good run. :)
Sponsored