OP
OP

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
By the way, this very controversial topic has made it to 4th most viewed over the last 7 days lol... thanks to the two camps debating this
We can agree it all comes down to the question of if this is a safety feature or not.
I actually don't think this is what it boils down to, I think there will be changes to what's considered consumer fraud, they have to draw the line somewhere with subscriptions, otherwise it opens up the entire market for what I jokingly described in an earlier comment. If they can get away with heated seats being a subscription, what's to stop them from making literally EVERY FEATURE that is non-essential and non-safety a paid subscription?

$65,000 car, but you have to pay a monthly subscription for each of the following: speakers, power mirrors, power FOLDING mirrors, auto dimming rearview mirror, FM radio, Bluetooth connectivity, steering wheel controls, hell, 90% of the infotainment screen, fog lights, lights in the visors, power windows (include a manual crank for those who opt out of the subscription), illuminated pony emblem, illuminated pony welcome light, sequential turn signals, 12V power outlets throughout (pay $0.99 per month each to remain active), saved driver profiles, driving economy calculations and other data visualizations, glove box access, Ford app, DC fast charging (not for the session, but to enable it at all). I'm sure you can come up with at least a dozen more items where manufacturers can technically charge their customers or put some caveat in the vehicle's options that they may become paid subscription services over time whenever Ford chooses, so that you buy the car and must accept that these features are under a "Permanent*" trial subject to change at any time with no advance notice.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So I assume you're unaware of the options differences between the 2022 Select and 2023 Select? I ordered a 2022 Select with Comfort and Tech package. Ford completely removed Tech across all trims and made it standard. That means they made the 360° camera standard, and raised the price of the Select from 2022 to 2023 by $3,000. I was converted and could not get the same vehicle I ordered, because Ford decided to cut back on options, they didn't "give me 360° camera for free" as you keep saying. They limited options and gave me a vehicle I didn't originally order.
That’s actually a great point. Maybe this was Ford “making it right.”

Before the solution to people who converted seemed to be upgrading to a premium, which some did.

Doesn’t explain why it’s free for everyone, but would explain why it should be free for those who converted from 22 to 23.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
I paid $70k for a car. Pretty sure Ford gave me nothing "for free".
So you have the same electric motors and batteries as the GTPE but didn't pay the fee for the extra horsepower? Sounds like you didn't get anything for free.

Also 360 camera is already included in the GT.

By the way, this very controversial topic has made it to 4th most viewed over the last 7 days lol... thanks to the two camps debating this
I actually don't think this is what it boils down to, I think there will be changes to what's considered consumer fraud, they have to draw the line somewhere with subscriptions, otherwise it opens up the entire market for what I jokingly described in an earlier comment. If they can get away with heated seats being a subscription, what's to stop them from making literally EVERY FEATURE that is non-essential and non-safety a paid subscription?

$65,000 car, but you have to pay a monthly subscription for each of the following: speakers, power mirrors, power FOLDING mirrors, auto dimming rearview mirror, FM radio, Bluetooth connectivity, steering wheel controls, hell, 90% of the infotainment screen, fog lights, lights in the visors, power windows (include a manual crank for those who opt out of the subscription), illuminated pony emblem, illuminated pony welcome light, sequential turn signals, 12V power outlets throughout (pay $0.99 per month each to remain active), saved driver profiles, driving economy calculations and other data visualizations, glove box access, Ford app, DC fast charging (not for the session, but to enable it at all). I'm sure you can come up with at least a dozen more items where manufacturers can technically charge their customers or put some caveat in the vehicle's options that they may become paid subscription services over time whenever Ford chooses, so that you buy the car and must accept that these features are under a "Permanent*" trial subject to change at any time with no advance notice.
One word: Competition.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

The word “subscription” is still a sticking point for me in this debate.

When or where did you ever see that this would be a subscription (monthly or yearly fee)?

As far as I can tell, it’s just an “option,” paid for at the same price just like before.

The only difference was that you could opt in at a later date.

Sure, if manufacturers started holding safety features hostage without a monthly fee that would suck.

But that just isn’t what’s happening here.

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
I think the BlueCruise subscription is $600 for 3 years.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I don't understand this logic. They installed the hardware... and you're saying they should make activating installed hardware a subscription service... because...?
I don't know, but Elon does. He started this. It's the cloud world hitting cars. "Whatever as a Service".

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
The biggest fun in the future will be all the people that buy or sell a car won't know if the function is actually broken, or the subscription expired. Can't wait for the turn signal stalk to be a subscription. It'd at least give a reason to why no one other than me uses it around here.
Sponsored