Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Not sure how you characterized the issue, but...

Think of wind instruments, like a flute or whistle. They rely on a precision opening with certain dimensions to make sound. You are getting those same precision conditions at that joint. When the conditions are perfect, you get a distinct wind noise. Too wide or narrow, no noise. Too high or low, no noise. Perfect height and width, noise :(. That's why something as simple as a little silicon fixes it. You have disrupted the perfect dimensions.
Silicon fix may work absolutely well however as a matter of principle, the fix needs to come from the manufacturer.
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Not sure how you characterized the issue, but...

Think of wind instruments, like a flute or whistle. They rely on a precision opening with certain dimensions to make sound. You are getting those same precision conditions at that joint. When the conditions are perfect, you get a distinct wind noise. Too wide or narrow, no noise. Too high or low, no noise. Perfect height and width, noise :(. That's why something as simple as a little silicon fixes it. You have disrupted the perfect dimensions.
Yup. I agree with you. I was trying to address the topic of if there is variability in Mfg that can cause it in some and not in others. My point was to say that as long all assembled pieces are with in tolerance then all will have the issue in the same conditions. Canā€™t detect the variability that can cause this just looking or measuring. Test drive May or May not show it and even if does it is not something the dealer can do anything about as long as the car meets specs. And yes where and when the noise presents or does not depends on wind, driving direction, other conditions.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Yup. I agree with you. I was trying to address the topic of if there is variability in Mfg that can cause it in some and not in others. My point was to say that as long all assembled pieces are with in tolerance then all will have the issue in the same conditions. Canā€™t detect the variability that can cause this just looking or measuring. Test drive May or May not show it and even if does it is not something the dealer can do anything about as long as the car meets specs. And yes where and when the noise presents or does not depends on wind, driving direction, other conditions.
Test drive should likely show it, but as you noted, there could be wild wind conditions that cause it not to present.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Test drive should likely show it, but as you noted, there could be wild wind conditions that cause it not to present.
yep, crosswinds play havoc with trying to assess and quantify wind noises

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Nothing. If they donā€˜t come up with an official fix by spring, Iā€™m going to put silicone in the gap between the windshield and the roof - that should quiet it down.
My dealer said not much at this time but will be reported to Ford and he will bring it on weekly issues call they have with Ford (this and the wheel trim gaps I saw on premiums on FEs).

Reactions: JSW

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Having had the FE for 2 weeks now I will say the the wind noise at 40+ mph really is unacceptable for a $60,000 vehicle. It's pretty noticable and only gets louder the faster you go. Love the vehicle other than that although I've started to notice some glitching in the software now...
My MME is very quiet with very little wind noise. Unsurprisingly when measured the sound level was 65-70 dBA even during hard accelerations and even over 75 MPH. Very little difference going 60 MPH and 75 MPH, suggesting wind noise is not a significant source of noise.

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
I haven't seen this posted yet, it's interesting that similar wind noise is prevalent enough with the Model 3 for a company to make a specific product and apparently sell thousands:
https://www.rpmtesla.com/products/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit

I don't think this would work on the Mach-E, as this product is a complete loop, but I'm hoping for a similar hollow-tube method to reduce wind noise without adhesives.

Last edited:

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Anyone riding in the car will confirm it. Iā€™m not at all concerned about the dealership denying itā€™s a problem. They do not have an approved fix.
That's fine if the dealership was responsible for a fix. It's not. The problem needs to be elevated. It's more likely to result in someone paying attention if presented as "the sound level at the roof is 82 dBA" than if it's presented as "we have a customer who thinks the roof is too noisy".

But if it's not worth 10 minutes of your time and $20 then it's not worth it to you.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
That's fine if the dealership was responsible for a fix. It's not. The problem needs to be elevated. It's more likely to result in someone paying attention if presented as "the sound level at the roof is 82 dBA" than if it's presented as "we have a customer who thinks the roof is too noisy".

But if it's not worth 10 minutes of your time and $20 then it's not worth it to you.
The problem was elevated. Ford understands. No meter was necessary.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't seen this posted yet, it's interesting that similar wind noise is prevalent enough with the Model 3 for a company to make a specific product and apparently sell thousands:
https://www.rpmtesla.com/products/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit

I don't think this would work on the Mach-E, as this product is a complete loop, but I'm hoping for a similar hollow-tube method to reduce wind noise without adhesives.
Your post inspired me. I just ordered some solid rubber and solid neoprene/foam cord stock from Grainger. Iā€™ll insert it into the gap and see if it works. I ordered 3 different diameters, and Iā€™ll let you know which (if any) works best. Cheers!

Last edited:

Endokendal

First Name
Kendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FE Mach E, 2018 Mustang GT 6-Speed
Country flag
i dont think this varies by car - its there in all MMEs - its a matter of driver acceptance and the driving conditions and if those result in the noise. The design is what it is. Given the exact driving conditions, I have to assume all all MMEs will present this. I have seen several MMes at the dealer and they all look the same on the roof , so I dont think its like a rare missassembly issue.
Uh... no itā€™s not

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Your post inspired me. I just ordered some solid rubber and solid neoprene/foam cord stock from Grainger. Iā€™ll insert it into the gap and see if it works. I ordered 3 different diameters, and Iā€™ll let you know which (if any) works best. Cheers!
Looks a lot like the spline you use when rescreening a window. Might be able to get some low grade test sizes at Home Depot and the like.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have no significant roof wind noise, but my cross wind noise seems like it could be a bit better. Maybe a door seal could be improved. As best as I can tell, there are no higher sound levels coming from the roof, at least not from that front seem over the driver. Re-closing the windows made no difference.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suffer from the same bias as many - I assume others think like I do.
As you may have gleaned from other posts, I separate car issues into 2 categories, those that are irritating (like wind noise) and those that undermine the vehicle in the eyes of the owner/public to the point where they don't trust it (12v battery, inability to charge at home, propulsion failures, etc.).

I assume Ford is/will prioritize the latter (as would I). This means an official fix isnā€™t likely in the near future (if at all).

So the question for me becomes, if I can fix it in a manner that doesnā€™t preclude any subsequent official fix by Ford, why wouldnā€™t I?

Immediate answers are: might make it worse.... might damage something else.... might preclude the official Ford fix,....might waste $ and time I donā€™t have to, etc.

Iā€™m confident silicone would work, but it runs afoul of getting in the way of any future Ford solution. .

Inserting a black rubber/foam tube into the gap that is otherwise designed to insulate gaps in vehicles, that costs less than $20, and can be removed in minutes, might afford relief pending Ford action. Iā€™m doing it.
Sponsored