TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yeah... one thing I think I'm going to miss in the Mach-E as it ships right now is the always-live coach view on the dash (vs. when you go to the right place)... that "gamification" of the driving has really helped me moderate my driving.

I suspect 1PD will help me moderate in a different way.
That, and the fact that anyone that can afford one is probably getting old. ?

We tend to mellow out our driving as we get older.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

you haven't seen me driving rentals ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E 4.1 Miles/KWH achieved in Mach-E on 266 mile trip! giphy

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

Hmmm . . . I know someone (nameless) who had a Mach E demo up to 103 mph yesterday, and was taking curves at 55mph . . . and giggling with delight.

I won't confirm or deny this

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmmm . . . I know someone (nameless) who had a Mach E demo up to 103 mph yesterday, and was taking curves at 55mph . . . and giggling with delight.

I won't confirm or deny this
Yeah, but did you realize you were doing 103?

We sped up a little to pass a semi in the right lane yesterday, then looked down to see we were doing 91. We were like "holy crap, how'd that happen!". This thing is so smooth and quiet (and fast) on the highway it was deceptive how fast we were (unintentionally) going.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
My first 36 years of living in SoCal, I drove like everyone else. 9 MPH (or more) over speed limit. Rapid accelerations. Constant lane changes to find open road ahead. But 5 yrs ago, I got a rated 53 mile electric range Chevy Volt, with a back up 350 mile range gasoline hybrid engine. And a data screen that told me all about real time electric and/or gas consumption.

This changed my driving habits (for the better) more than the sum total of thousands of dollars worth of traffic fines and scores of hours in traffic schools.

For me, my ‘’mileage” ratings (miles per KWH AND MPGe) became video game obsessions. I am continually pursuing “personal bests.” Best “numbers” when not exceeding speed limits. Best “numbers” when driving (in the “slow” lanes) at speed limit minus 5, etc.

What I’ve found is that my trips take a relative trivial amount longer, in the general scheme of things, but I arrive at my destinations much more relaxed and fresh. And I have feelings of (probably false) virtue in reducing my motor vehicle carbon footprint to improved levels.

When I get the MME (scheduled for April), I plan on driving “unbridled” on only rare occasions, for a bit of fun. But, on the whole, my total driving will improve, as the MME is replacing a pure ICE vehicle (a Mazda), which I have continued to drive like a proper Californian. I may be one of a relative handful of humans to replace a Mazda with a Mustang and end up driving more slowly and carefully. :)

Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach
Yes, hybrids had the same effect on me. I too am a better driver for it. But I don’t plan to maximize efficiency by gaming. I’m glad the MachE doesn’t have efficiency gaming front and center. I intend to just enjoy the car, albeit with my acquired more responsible driving habits.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Yeah, but did you realize you were doing 103?

We sped up a little to pass a semi in the right lane yesterday, then looked down to see we were doing 91. We were like "holy crap, how'd that happen!". This thing is so smooth and quiet (and fast) on the highway it was deceptive how fast we were (unintentionally) going.
Who? Me? The driver of the vehicle indeed was seeing how quick it would reach 100 and noticed they were at 103 in no time at all.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
For me, my ‘’mileage” ratings (miles per KWH AND MPGe) became video game obsessions. I am continually pursuing “personal bests.” Best “numbers” when not exceeding speed limits. Best “numbers” when driving (in the “slow” lanes) at speed limit minus 5, etc.
This is basically me lol.

I don't adjust my speed based on speed limits, but rather to maximize my gas mileage in my Energi.

Since I purchased my first 2010 Fusion Hybrid I've kept a spreadsheet on my phone where I track my MPG, overall miles driven, miles driven on electric, how many hours of driving, and the date of fill up for every single tank of gas. I just reset my trip computer every time I fill up. I literally don't let my wife fill up the car, or if she does I have her take a picture of the trip screen at the gas station. She thinks I'm a nutter butter ?

Since adding the electricity to the Mach E will be much more sporadic, I'll probably just track my MPK, MPH, etc for every 1000 miles before resetting. Can't wait!

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is basically me lol.

I don't adjust my speed based on speed limits, but rather to maximize my gas mileage in my Energi.

Since I purchased my first 2010 Fusion Hybrid I've kept a spreadsheet on my phone where I track my MPG, overall miles driven, miles driven on electric, how many hours of driving, and the date of fill up for every single tank of gas. I just reset my trip computer every time I fill up. I literally don't let my wife fill up the car, or if she does I have her take a picture of the trip screen at the gas station. She thinks I'm a nutter butter ?

Since adding the electricity to the Mach E will be much more sporadic, I'll probably just track my MPK, MPH, etc for every 1000 miles before resetting. Can't wait!
I'm obsessed with the data collection and monitoring, mostly for safety reasons so I can decide whether I have enough confidence that the car will safely make it on a particular road trip, make it to a backup charger if one is down, etc.

However when it comes to compromising comfort and convenience in an attempt to improve those numbers, uh, that's a big NO for me. I'm not driving any slower or turning the heat off/down.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
My first 36 years of living in SoCal, I drove like everyone else. 9 MPH (or more) over speed limit. Rapid accelerations. Constant lane changes to find open road ahead. But 5 yrs ago, I got a rated 53 mile electric range Chevy Volt, with a back up 350 mile range gasoline hybrid engine. And a data screen that told me all about real time electric and/or gas consumption.

This changed my driving habits (for the better) more than the sum total of thousands of dollars worth of traffic fines and scores of hours in traffic schools.

What I’ve found is that my trips take a relative trivial amount longer, in the general scheme of things, but I arrive at my destinations much more relaxed and fresh. And I have feelings of (probably false) virtue in reducing my motor vehicle carbon footprint to improved levels.

When I get the MME (scheduled for April), I plan on driving “unbridled” on only rare occasions, for a bit of fun. But, on the whole, my total driving will improve, as the MME is replacing a pure ICE vehicle (a Mazda), which I have continued to drive like a proper Californian. I may be one of a relative handful of humans to replace a Mazda with a Mustang and end up driving more slowly and carefully. :)

Good post. I agree.

I've driven very fast for a long time, but I'm beginning to wonder about the morality of running 82 mph on the interstate, instead of 75. It uses up a lot more energy for a much proportionally smaller decrease in trip time.

Essentially, driving overly fast is saying to the world, "I don't care about the environmental concerns. My time is too important to worry about that."

So I don't think that your feelings of virtue are false. When we get a 100% renewable (or, at least, decarbonized) grid and I'm in an EV, well, I won't feel so bad about driving really fast. Right now, I'm rethinking the whole deal, and I've slowed down a little.

Not preaching here: I've probably burnt more hydrocarbons in my life, due to my habits and my profession, than 99% of the people reading this. But I am rethinking the ethics of driving overly fast on the highway. (In town, with regen, I don't mind zooming around. But long, high speed trips on the highway are a different thing entirely.)

Thanks for posting!

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
However when it comes to compromising comfort and convenience in an attempt to improve those numbers, uh, that's a big NO for me. I'm not driving any slower or turning the heat off/down.
I've always been conscious of mpg, but honestly tracking everything started as a game since I drove so much in my 20s and 30s being in sales (about 20-25k miles per year). Over time it's become an obsession, and it's the reason I'm getting a BEV despite not having a garage. I'll probably drive a little faster on average in the Mach E due to it's being more green though, as long as I can keep the MPKw at the mid 3 level.

And if I find a moderately convenient solar powered charger like from Beam Solar... I'll probably completely change my driving habits ??

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
I got a rated 53 mile electric range Chevy Volt, with a back up 350 mile range gasoline hybrid engine. And a data screen that told me all about real time electric and/or gas consumption.

Same here. Always drove fast but when I started doing motorcycle track days no cars felt "fast". Sold my Subaru STi and bought a used tired '11 LEAF. Surprisingly the same track day skills (looking ahead and planning, maintaining momentum, throttle control, obsessing on tire pressure) paid dividends and gamified driving, but at a legal speed. That car taught me efficient driving.

Today I drive an '18 Volt and regularly get 70+ miles around town from that 14kWh usable capacity "53 mile" battery. That is just over 5 m/kWh. Waiting for a demo ride before ordering a Premium long range RWD MME. Living in North Texas that is the only pure electric that can make the trip to visit family living up in the Rockies that isn't a Tesla. I won't buy a Tesla.

I do get concerned that the MME is attracting many buyers new to driving EVs who will feel disappointed when they see what 0-60 launches and top speed runs do to range. The same physics applies as with gas cars of course. Those who are getting 10mpg in your gas Mustangs need to know their style will require some recalibration if range matters to them.

Fortunately it usually doesn't matter on a day to day basis because of that 88 kWh usable capacity. It is on long trips where they really need to dial it down a notch or two.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I ordered a *standard range RW* also. Ideal for So Cal. Build week April 12.

Extended range battery weighs more; reduces efficiency. 95% of the time, extended range battery would be more of an albatross than a blessing. Same for AWD. This car is too low to use off road and, in the absence of snow and ice and only rare rain, AWD also just lowers efficiency, while adding no benefit.

I have a question. On my 2016 Chevy Volt, cruise control gives me much better efficiency/longer range than what I can get with even a careful light touch on the foot pedal. On your Santa Ana to Santa Barbara round trip (I've done the Huntington Beach to Santa Barbara version of this many times), what percent of time, if any, did you have cruise control (co-pilot 360) engaged?

- Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach
" while adding no benefit. "

Let's race and see bout that!
Sponsored