Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Prem RWD
Occupation
Information Management
Country flag
After 400 miles and about three weeks driving the Mach-E, I wanted to get some of my opinions out there, because everyone is doing it!

I’m coming from a 2018 Kia Soul ! trim with a turbo, so it’s a bit of a different hot-hatch that I’m used to. I have a love affair with hatches, except for a misguided few years with a Lancer in 2008, and an Audi TT in 2011, it’s been hatch after hatch, so the Mach-E fit right in with me as far as looks go. The car is hot, I get a lot of comments on how it looks, not just because of the pony on the front and back, but because of the lines, especially the eye trick with the roof (and then the true roof line).

I went with the Premium RWD Standard battery as it is more of a daily driver than a road trip car (my wife and I have a 2021 Kia Niro Hybrid for that). The Mach-E is excellent, even without Level 2 charging at home (and only using trickle charging for now) I’m able to drive and charge each night back up to 80% without any issues.

The technology cluster takes some getting used to, but it generally is very well done, having the owner’s manual built in is nice.

PaaK has worked flawless after getting it setup, I never bring my keys with me now and am never worried about it. (see below on an issue getting it actually setup).

I’m now addicted to torque, the car is fast off the line and there when you need it, lots of fun to drive, I don’t notice too much bounce in my step on the stock wheels and rims, but I’m on very developed and maintained roads here in Gilbert, AZ.

Audio system was one feature I was looking forward to and it doesn’t disappoint, the system in my Kia was great, very loud and punchy without rattling too much, while the Ford doesn’t appear to be at that level, it is great to listen to.

Space internally is great, I don’t use the Frunk for much, but the back is spacious for my lifestyle, my kids (10,8) fit in the back great and have plenty of room, plus they love looking out the roof.

I’ve only tried Blue Cruise once so far on the US60, but it was great, easy to use, and I can see how it would work well on a longer trip, but for a shorter drive, you want to stay engaged to such a fun car to drive so I won’t use it as much. (Kids thought it was amazing though).

Quirks

I can’t get the welcome lights and puddle lights to work to save my life. I’ve done everything I possibly can in all the settings, using PaaK, not using PaaK, using the fob, checking settings, checking my profile. Making it pitch dark outside, walking in from the left, right, back, front, nothing triggers it no matter what I do. I’m at a loss, but also frustrated.

While PaaK works great now, getting it to work was an instrument of torture. I made the mistake (I think) of setting up Bluetooth on the car at the dealer before leaving, once that’s done, you’re dead as far as Paak goes. I had to remove the phone from BT, remove the car from FordPass, remove the app from my phone (iOS) with all data, then set back up again from scratch by adding the car to FordPass, then PaaK, then BT for audio, then it seemed to do everything it should with setting codes and passwords. Seems simple now but wasn’t a great process.

Getting in the car it’s a roll-the-dice moment on what the screen will do. Sometimes CarPlay loads and waits for me to start a Spotify Playlist, sometimes SiriusXM/FM starts and pauses itself, having me hit Resume to go back to it, sometimes SiriusXM/FM just does what you think I should and plays what you were last listening to. I wish there was an option to say “when turning on, go here and do this”

Wireless charger for an iPhone 13 Pro with an Apple silicon case that make the camera bump not flat is not great. More times than not it will not charge, even repositioning keeps it on the charger for 5-10 seconds, but it will fall off. It may be better with a different case, but not lying flat seems to keep it from making the proper connection.

I have yet to get HomeLink to work with my garage door opener. I even cleared all the codes, reset all the remotes in the household and followed the exact instructions in the owner’s manual and it still won’t connect, it’s not a big deal, I carry the opener with me anyway, but frustrating when I can’t get something to work.

Oddities

I’ve had the pre-collision warning go off a few times, once when there wasn’t a car around, which was odd, maybe a shadow? The second was a car turning into the right-hand turn lane (I was in the lane next to it and was going straight) and it lit up like a Christmas Tree on the instrument cluster screen. Scared the bejebus out of me, but there was nothing to see or do.

TLDR

The car is amazing (as we all know, being part of this forum), its fun, engaging to drive, shows off nice, a conversation starter and a head-turner, but once the novelty from everyone else has worn off, it is a great vehicle to drive, practical (especially with $4/gallon gas) and just plan fits into my lifestyle. In planning a road trip for early Spring I’ve had some range anxiety, to the point I thought I might just take the hybrid instead, but that will pass, as all new things do.
Sponsored

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I have yet to get HomeLink to work with my garage door opener. I even cleared all the codes, reset all the remotes in the household and followed the exact instructions in the owner’s manual and it still won’t connect, it’s not a big deal, I carry the opener with me anyway, but frustrating when I can’t get something to work.
Same, I've followed multiple different directions to get it set up and it still doesn't work. Super frustrating. Like you, I have a handheld unit that I take with me.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I can’t get the welcome lights and puddle lights to work to save my life. I’ve done everything I possibly can in all the settings
The welcome lights and puddle lights are one and the same on this car... To make the ponies come out and play, you'll need to have the side mirrors folded in. Check your settings for mirrors folding when the doors are locked.

Then, at night, make a bee line to your Mach-E with key fob (or paak) in hand. The ponies should project for about 15 seconds or so before they go back to their stable.

They're on in daytime, too, but not bright enough to overcome sunlight.

I have yet to get HomeLink to work with my garage door opener.
Same, I've followed multiple different directions to get it set up and it still doesn't work. Super frustrating. Like you, I have a handheld unit that I take with me.
What make of opener? What year is it from (roughly)?

I had trouble getting HomeLink to learn my circa 2000 Genie opener but I did eventually get it working. Then I programmed a button to my parents' circa 2017 Genie and it was pretty easy, I think because I got the technique down by that point.

If I recall correctly, it goes something like this...

Hold the HomeLink button to be programmed until the light began flashing or whatever (I can't remember the specifics).

Then hold the old remote's open button until the HomeLink LED pattern changed or blinked or whatever to indicate that it's switched into Genie rolling code mode.

Then I had to press the button on the opener's motor head that tells it to learn an additional remote.

Then I had to press and release the HomeLink button I think two more times for the motor head to accept the new (HomeLink) remote rolling code pattern.

Something like that... But the important parts are:

1. Tell HomeLink to go into Genie rolling codes mode by transmitting from a working (old) remote in close proximity to it, and for many seconds or several times.

2. Tell the garage door opener (via button on the opener motor box) to learn an additional remote.

3. Press the HomeLink button. Wait a second or two, then press it again.

4. The garage door should begin opening or closing to indicate it's learned the new remote.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The manual either words it wonky or its wrong I forget which. I also had an issue setting it up, was really frustrating. I think I searched for it on Youtube and found someone that showed how to set it up. After watching that I was able to set it up without any issue.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
After 400 miles and about three weeks driving the Mach-E, I wanted to get some of my opinions out there, because everyone is doing it!

I’m coming from a 2018 Kia Soul ! trim with a turbo, so it’s a bit of a different hot-hatch that I’m used to. I have a love affair with hatches, except for a misguided few years with a Lancer in 2008, and an Audi TT in 2011, it’s been hatch after hatch, so the Mach-E fit right in with me as far as looks go. The car is hot, I get a lot of comments on how it looks, not just because of the pony on the front and back, but because of the lines, especially the eye trick with the roof (and then the true roof line).

I went with the Premium RWD Standard battery as it is more of a daily driver than a road trip car (my wife and I have a 2021 Kia Niro Hybrid for that). The Mach-E is excellent, even without Level 2 charging at home (and only using trickle charging for now) I’m able to drive and charge each night back up to 80% without any issues.

The technology cluster takes some getting used to, but it generally is very well done, having the owner’s manual built in is nice.

PaaK has worked flawless after getting it setup, I never bring my keys with me now and am never worried about it. (see below on an issue getting it actually setup).

I’m now addicted to torque, the car is fast off the line and there when you need it, lots of fun to drive, I don’t notice too much bounce in my step on the stock wheels and rims, but I’m on very developed and maintained roads here in Gilbert, AZ.

Audio system was one feature I was looking forward to and it doesn’t disappoint, the system in my Kia was great, very loud and punchy without rattling too much, while the Ford doesn’t appear to be at that level, it is great to listen to.

Space internally is great, I don’t use the Frunk for much, but the back is spacious for my lifestyle, my kids (10,8) fit in the back great and have plenty of room, plus they love looking out the roof.

I’ve only tried Blue Cruise once so far on the US60, but it was great, easy to use, and I can see how it would work well on a longer trip, but for a shorter drive, you want to stay engaged to such a fun car to drive so I won’t use it as much. (Kids thought it was amazing though).

Quirks

I can’t get the welcome lights and puddle lights to work to save my life. I’ve done everything I possibly can in all the settings, using PaaK, not using PaaK, using the fob, checking settings, checking my profile. Making it pitch dark outside, walking in from the left, right, back, front, nothing triggers it no matter what I do. I’m at a loss, but also frustrated.

While PaaK works great now, getting it to work was an instrument of torture. I made the mistake (I think) of setting up Bluetooth on the car at the dealer before leaving, once that’s done, you’re dead as far as Paak goes. I had to remove the phone from BT, remove the car from FordPass, remove the app from my phone (iOS) with all data, then set back up again from scratch by adding the car to FordPass, then PaaK, then BT for audio, then it seemed to do everything it should with setting codes and passwords. Seems simple now but wasn’t a great process.

Getting in the car it’s a roll-the-dice moment on what the screen will do. Sometimes CarPlay loads and waits for me to start a Spotify Playlist, sometimes SiriusXM/FM starts and pauses itself, having me hit Resume to go back to it, sometimes SiriusXM/FM just does what you think I should and plays what you were last listening to. I wish there was an option to say “when turning on, go here and do this”

Wireless charger for an iPhone 13 Pro with an Apple silicon case that make the camera bump not flat is not great. More times than not it will not charge, even repositioning keeps it on the charger for 5-10 seconds, but it will fall off. It may be better with a different case, but not lying flat seems to keep it from making the proper connection.

Oddities

I’ve had the pre-collision warning go off a few times, once when there wasn’t a car around, which was odd, maybe a shadow? The second was a car turning into the right-hand turn lane (I was in the lane next to it and was going straight) and it lit up like a Christmas Tree on the instrument cluster screen. Scared the bejebus out of me, but there was nothing to see or do.

TLDR

The car is amazing (as we all know, being part of this forum), its fun, engaging to drive, shows off nice, a conversation starter and a head-turner, but once the novelty from everyone else has worn off, it is a great vehicle to drive, practical (especially with $4/gallon gas) and just plan fits into my lifestyle. In planning a road trip for early Spring I’ve had some range anxiety, to the point I thought I might just take the hybrid instead, but that will pass, as all new things do.

What do you think of the ride quality? There is talk the Select (with 18" wheels, smaller battery) had a better ride than the Premium ER (with 19" wheels, but heavier due to the bigger battery).

I also went with a Premium SR so was curious. I wonder if some of there kinks are resolved in the 2022s.

OP
OP
beckermanex

beckermanex

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Prem RWD
Occupation
Information Management
Country flag
What do you think of the ride quality? There is talk the Select (with 18" wheels, smaller battery) had a better ride than the Premium ER (with 19" wheels, but heavier due to the bigger battery).

I also went with a Premium SR so was curious. I wonder if some of there kinks are resolved in the 2022s.
I think the ride quality is good, its not as tight as I'm used to in other cars, but I have to get used to the ride height too as I'm used to being a bit lower to the ground in my previous cars. The ride is a bit "bouncier" than I've had in the past, but that isn't to say it's see-sawing all over the place. Do I wish it was a bit tighter? Yeah, a bit, but it's nothing to diminish the fun of driving the car.

The steering is a bit floatier than I anticipated, but that could just be some growing pains coming from a car I drove for the last four years, response is good when you turn the wheel, it just feels as though it drifts a bit more and isn't as rigid.

To each their own though, what is bouncy to some and floaty could be perfect for anyone. None of these things diminish the awesomeness that it is to drive the car, I have fun each and every time I get in the driver's seat.

OP
OP
beckermanex

beckermanex

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Prem RWD
Occupation
Information Management
Country flag
The welcome lights and puddle lights are one and the same on this car... To make the ponies come out and play, you'll need to have the side mirrors folded in. Check your settings for mirrors folding when the doors are locked.

Then, at night, make a bee line to your Mach-E with key fob (or paak) in hand. The ponies should project for about 15 seconds or so before they go back to their stable.

They're on in daytime, too, but not bright enough to overcome sunlight.
I've had all this setup, mirrors are set to fold in when locked, car is locked, and I've tried to approach the car every way but dropping on top of it and I still can't get them to trigger. I'll keep trying, but I looked through the forum here for a few threads on people with similar issues (much like my setting up the ParK fiasco) and I thought I have it all set correctly, but maybe I missed something.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Homelink should be straight forward, hold car button-hold remote button (continuously press remote button if it’s a pulse style). If you have a security code opener you will need to hit the learn button on the opener motor then press and hole the vehicle button as a final step. Some remotes need to be switch to a different mode as well to be learned but that’s pretty rare.
just go to the homelink website and plug in your specifics for exact instructions.

If you have issues setting up Paak you just have to hit the paak reset option in the vehicle. I had to do that initially as well.

Do the welcome lights turn on when you hit the unlock button in the app?

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Quirks

Oddities

TLDR

Hi there-
Thanks for the write up. I also live in AZ (Scottsdale) What dealer did you buy from? What was your time frame from order to delivery?

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
What make of opener? What year is it from (roughly)?

Something like that... But the important parts are:

1. Tell HomeLink to go into Genie rolling codes mode by transmitting from a working (old) remote in close proximity to it, and for many seconds or several times.

2. Tell the garage door opener (via button on the opener motor box) to learn an additional remote.

3. Press the HomeLink button. Wait a second or two, then press it again.

4. The garage door should begin opening or closing to indicate it's learned the new remote.
I've tried all of that and no joy. My opener is a craftsman from sometime around the early to mid-2000s. I followed the directions that came with the garage door manual and the directions that are on the HomeLink website. I was able to program my Tundra's HomeLink 5 years ago and my wife's Explorer in 2018. I know it can be done. I just need to find the right sequence.

OP
OP
beckermanex

beckermanex

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Prem RWD
Occupation
Information Management
Country flag
Hi there-
Thanks for the write up. I also live in AZ (Scottsdale) What dealer did you buy from? What was your time frame from order to delivery?
I used San Tan Ford in Gilbert. I ordered (online) on July 3, took delivery on November 17th, originally was set to come in February (at time of order) then was set for Dec 4 (date given after build) and arrived a few weeks early. All in all, it was very smooth and while Ford didn't have much information other than what was on the website, the dealer was great to work with in getting visibility.

OP
OP
beckermanex

beckermanex

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Prem RWD
Occupation
Information Management
Country flag
Homelink should be straight forward, hold car button-hold remote button (continuously press remote button if it’s a pulse style). If you have a security code opener you will need to hit the learn button on the opener motor then press and hole the vehicle button as a final step. Some remotes need to be switch to a different mode as well to be learned but that’s pretty rare.
just go to the homelink website and plug in your specifics for exact instructions.

If you have issues setting up Paak you just have to hit the paak reset option in the vehicle. I had to do that initially as well.

Do the welcome lights turn on when you hit the unlock button in the app?
I'll have to try the unlock in the app, I usually walk up to the car and and use the door button to unlock and open since I have my phone on me. I anticipated the welcome lights would read either my Bluetooth from my phone or proximity from the FOB and turn on, not having me have to unlock the car from a distance.

I'll keep playing with the HomeLink and report back my steps. I know programming my previous two cars it was: 1. Press Learn on the Motor, 2. Press button in the car, with running and wait for the lights to flash on the vehicle and motor and they were paired. We'll all get it (eventually).

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I'll have to try the unlock in the app, I usually walk up to the car and and use the door button to unlock and open since I have my phone on me. I anticipated the welcome lights would read either my Bluetooth from my phone or proximity from the FOB and turn on, not having me have to unlock the car from a distance.
Yes it “should” but there’s still lots of bugs. For me walk up sometimes shows the lights sometimes it doesn’t. Often times it shows the lights but doesn’t unlock lol. I’ve just started unlocking with my watch or phone for convenience sake.
I'll keep playing with the HomeLink and report back my steps. I know programming my previous two cars it was: 1. Press Learn on the Motor, 2. Press button in the car, with running and wait for the lights to flash on the vehicle and motor and they were paired. We'll all get it (eventually).
Did you program the homelink in the car before doing the learn on the motor?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
For the puddle lights, since you park in your garage, do you hang around your kitchen, living room or another area close to the garage before getting in the car? I think when using PaaK, the bluetooth can connect farther than with the fob, so the car could think you're approaching it when you're just walking around by the garage and then they'd be off by the time you get to it.

For HomeLink, try taking out your garage light bulbs. Mine was having issues, and while my Mercedes did not, I was reading about how the lights you use for the garage door can block the signal, which was the case for me. I replaced them with different bulbs and it worked and has worked flawlessly.

OP
OP
beckermanex

beckermanex

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Prem RWD
Occupation
Information Management
Country flag
For the puddle lights, since you park in your garage, do you hang around your kitchen, living room or another area close to the garage before getting in the car? I think when using PaaK, the bluetooth can connect farther than with the fob, so the car could think you're approaching it when you're just walking around by the garage and then they'd be off by the time you get to it.

For HomeLink, try taking out your garage light bulbs. Mine was having issues, and while my Mercedes did not, I was reading about how the lights you use for the garage door can block the signal, which was the case for me. I replaced them with different bulbs and it worked and has worked flawlessly.
I did expect this for the puddle lights when it's in the garage as the phone is still connected to it no matter where I am in the house, plus it's not locked in the garage, but the mirrors are manually folded.

When I'm out though, picking up food or running an errand when it's dark out, I would expect them to "detect" me approaching as I'm well out of Bluetooth range when I'm away, and when I come back. Car is locked (via the app with mirrors set to auto fold).
Sponsored