Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Skip the first half of the article (info we all know) and go directly to the trip.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/492865/ford-mustang-mach-e-trip-tahoe/
Wow great news!

" We went across the finish line with a 36 percent SOC and 88 estimated miles of range left. This trip gave the Mach-E a total range of 313 miles. The average efficiency for the round-trip was 3.6 miles/kW and the estimated range was 281 miles, which was the estimated range when we left on the trip. "

I drive up 80 to Tahoe often. Have not done so since I received my MachE but i'm looking forward to it. I'll be very interested since the climb is going to be very taxing on the battery. Of course coming home it's all downhill.

Last edited:

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Skip the first half of the article (info we all know) and go directly to the trip.

I got similar efficiency numbers on my trip from Fremont to Reno this past Saturday. My frustration on the trip was with FordPass Plug and Charge. Every time I tried Plug and Charge I had to call EA (Electrify America) to get the FordPass app to work. In my last charge, the EA representative was unable to get the app to work at the station in Rocklin and she sent me to a station in Sacramento for a complimentary charge, which did work after a few attempts. The EA folks tried to accommodate me as best they could but there is something seriously broken with Plug and Charge from my experience. Ford and EA need to solve this ASAP.

My MME (premium ER RWD) realized a 3.0 mi/kWh from Fremont to Rocklin but it went down to 2.0 mi/kWh from Rocklin to Reno. I was driving mostly in the fast line and probably averaged 75 mph when on the freeway. The drive back down to Fremont was 242.9 miles and 3.5 mi/kWh. 96% was the route and 2% was climate. If I started with a 100% instead to 80% SOC in Reno I am confident I could have made it home without charging in Sacramento.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Having done SF to Tahoe many times, I can say this is probably not the best gauge of "range." You're basically going from sea level to 6000' on the way there, and almost completely downhill on the way back. I remember clocking wild mpg swings in my ICE car -- like 18 mpg on the way up and 50+ mpg on the way back. Converting potential energy to kinetic is always fun, and not a good test of the battery. (But maybe a good test of the car's aerodynamics!)

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
I have a trip across Michigan tomorrow afternoon to get my Covid vaccine Dose 1. My wife is coming, too. If the EA charger doesn't work and she misses a call tomorrow night, I'm going to get an earful while we wait for a tow truck.

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag

Fantastic article, had only one hiccup:

"With its upcoming OTA upgrade to a subscription full self-driving on some roads service this summer, it is set to become one of the best ADAS systems on the market today."

Statements like this look biased. The reviewer hasn't mentioned that they have tested the L4 ADAS system from Ford. I happen to think it will and hope that it will be a top L4 system. Argo.ai seems to be increasing its mindshare and the investment from the Porsche family(VW) proves it.

Wallace

First Name
Sandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart
Country flag

Hi
I just wonder. According to my information, the elevation change will be calculated in the proposed remaining charge at destination. That means, that as long as the driving and climate control is as supposed, the remaining percentage shouldn't change too much, even with that massive climb to Lake Tahoe. Was it like this? With my gasoline car the remaining endurance reduces always by half, as my board computer doesn't include the elevation.
How does this the MME?
Sponsored