Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 mustang gt
Occupation
accountant
Country flag
Does anyone think Ford will change the 5 second acceleration limit on the Mach E GT?
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'd say it depends on why that 5 second limit was put in to begin with.

If its just a starting point until they could collect real-world data, then I'd say it will get changed eventually.

If it was set at 5 seconds due to hardware limitations, then I'd say we're stuck with it.

OP
OP

Happy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 mustang gt
Occupation
accountant
Country flag
Thanks for your response. So are you enjoying your Mach E GT?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Thanks for your response. So are you enjoying your Mach E GT?
I am very much enjoying it. Very happy to have traded up from a FE to the GT.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Someone posted in another thread about some drunk Ford engineers saying that the 5 second rule would be changed in March 2022.

If this happened at the GT launch event, then I think there's some validity to it.

Personally, I don't find the performance limit to be a problem. My GT zips from stoplight to stoplight quicker than anything that isn't a Performance Tesla. I haven't don't any road trips so I can't speak to freeway passing power.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I'd say it depends on why that 5 second limit was put in to begin with.

If its just a starting point until they could collect real-world data, then I'd say it will get changed eventually.

If it was set at 5 seconds due to hardware limitations, then I'd say we're stuck with it.
I will have concerns about the whole company if their qualification process is that weak!

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I will have concerns about the whole company if their qualification process is that weak!
Its how they have done it with the battery buffer and charging curve. So it wouldn't be too shocking to see them use this process on other systems in the car as well.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
They might be forced to relax the limit because of the negative publicity. There are several reviews that say that the GT does not deliver because of this 5 sec limit.

I personally enjoy the GT's acceleration and I don't think I need more for public street driving.

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I’ve had no issues at all with freeway passing power in my GT (not PE). The first time I tried, the car got up to 110 before I even realized I was going that fast, and it was in whisper mode. It was breathtaking. I kept a better eye on the speedometer from then on (I didn’t want a ticket the first day of owning my new car lol) so kept it below 100, but so far, every time I ask the car for more speed, it delivers.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Tesla and now Polestar have done the same. Release more power months after the cars hit the field.

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
Its how they have done it with the battery buffer and charging curve. So it wouldn't be too shocking to see them use this process on other systems in the car as well.
Yes, clearly Ford was very conservative in configuring charging and power draw curves etc. Probably a combination of a lack of sufficient real world performance data and fiscal conservatism (concern about long-term warranty costs etc.).

It's somewhat of a good sign that the first programming update took less than a year and improves a number of things (e.g. charging curve is *a lot* better from what I'm seeing).

OTOH, it's a bit concerning that Ford didn't feel confident that they could OTA the 21P22 update and is only doing it through the dealer network. Over the life of the car, if one is going to have to book a service appointment to get firmware updates, that's going to considerably erode the ownership experience.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes, clearly Ford was very conservative in configuring charging and power draw curves etc. Probably a combination of a lack of sufficient real world performance data and fiscal conservatism (concern about long-term warranty costs etc.).

It's somewhat of a good sign that the first programming update took less than a year and improves a number of things (e.g. charging curve is *a lot* better from what I'm seeing).

OTOH, it's a bit concerning that Ford didn't feel confident that they could OTA the 21P22 update and is only doing it through the dealer network. Over the life of the car, if one is going to have to book a service appointment to get firmware updates, that's going to considerably erode the ownership experience.
Its not that they can't OTA it, its just that they aren't ready to to that, and are having dealers do it so that customers don't have to wait for the updates.

Their OTA process has not gone quite as smoothly as they had planned on.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I wonder If the GT and GT-PE would have an average acceleration to the end of the quarter if run at 2/3 throttle that is quicker than run at full throttle. Mine seems to run harder at 2/3 than it does at full (seat of the pants, no documentation). If anyone with a Dragy could fashion some throttle stops to limit at (or about) 2/3 and 3/4 it would be an interesting experiment. ?‍♂?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I wonder If the GT and GT-PE would have an average acceleration to the end of the quarter if run at 2/3 throttle that is quicker than run at full throttle. Mine seems to run harder at 2/3 than it does at full (seat of the pants, no documentation). If anyone with a Dragy could fashion some throttle stops to limit at (or about) 2/3 and 3/4 it would be an interesting experiment. ?‍♂?
Running it at 2/3 throttle, is likely the same thing as putting the car into unbridled extend. IT basically limits the top end power so you can get the "full" power longer.
Sponsored