5 Second Battery Limit due to Battery manufacturer?

machefan2022

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CalRt1
Country flag
I was watching a review for the F150 lightning (Redline Reviews - Reviewer has a MME GT) and per the reviewer Ford told them that the F150 does not have the 5 seconds full power limit because it contains a battery from a different supplier that doesn't require it? Anyone else heard anything like this?
Sponsored

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
wouldn't surprise me... everyone has their own warranties, concerns, etc.

I guess I figured it was more tied to the capacitor than the battery... but who knows.

Lsnleo

First Name
Sinong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT
Country flag
Yeah I think so, battery manufacturer could be the reason. I have a Chinese version MME GT that contains a battery from BYD. Never heard anyone complain about the 5 sec limit here...There is no unbriddle extend mode in the Chinese version GT neither.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yeah I think so, battery manufacturer could be the reason. I have a Chinese version MME GT that contains a battery from BYD. Never heard anyone complain about the 5 sec limit here...There is no unbriddle extend mode in the Chinese version GT neither.
Can you take a photo of your IPC when driving? The driver screen? Do you still have the power and regen bar?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I always thought it was a mix of cooling and the battery. If the 5-second limit is due to the battery supplier and not something that could be changed via OTA down the road, we will be seeing a ton of 1st gen GTPE on the market once they release the Gen 2 that doesn't have this limit.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I always thought it was a mix of cooling and the battery. If the 5-second limit is due to the battery supplier and not something that could be changed via OTA down the road, we will be seeing a ton of 1st gen GTPE on the market once they release the Gen 2 that doesn't have this limit.
I fail to understand why the other trims don’t have a 5 second limit then, if it is the battery.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
There's gotta be some component in the HV system that can't handle the current load at full power and the 5 Seconds Rule is conservative to prevent damage.

The best description of the theory I've heard is that there's a meter that measures how much current has passed thru the component in a given time window and once exceeded, it restricts the power. That's why GTs have limited power above 80mph because the current load is already high.

I hope we'll see an OTA improvement but kind of doubt it.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn't the GT also have the 5 second limit?
Yes, but the Premium, CA Route 1 and Select do NOT have any kind of 5 second limit at all. Sure, they're slower off the line, but I believe people have posted times of a Premium vs GT/GT PE and the Premium pulls away once the GT throttles.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's gotta be some component in the HV system that can't handle the current load at full power and the 5 Seconds Rule is conservative to prevent damage.

The best description of the theory I've heard is that there's a meter that measures how much current has passed thru the component in a given time window and once exceeded, it restricts the power. That's why GTs have limited power above 80mph because the current load is already high.

I hope we'll see an OTA improvement but kind of doubt it.
Would be nice for Ford to finally just shed light on it! Like I've been saying all along, if they at least said WHY it would still suck, but at least we'd have an understanding.

I don't know if that is why, if I baby my GT PE up to 70 and try and gently push up to 100, I'll still probably lose to a Premium as I'll still have gray bars limiting my power, even gently accelerating up to 70.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I was watching a review for the F150 lightning (Redline Reviews - Reviewer has a MME GT) and per the reviewer Ford told them that the F150 does not have the 5 seconds full power limit because it contains a battery from a different supplier that doesn't require it? Anyone else heard anything like this?
That sucks! Why call it a GT? My 5.0 GTs, all 6 of them, never have the fuel injection cut out after 5 seconds! Please more time Ford! Or change the trim to MachE Touring as theirs nothing grand about 300 seconds!

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That sucks! Why call it a GT? My 5.0 GTs, all 6 of them, never have the fuel injection cut out after 5 seconds! Please more time Ford! Or change the trim to MachE Touring as theirs nothing grand about 300 seconds!
Haha, welcome to the club.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I fail to understand why the other trims don’t have a 5 second limit then, if it is the battery.
The GT draws substantially more current than the other models. not too far from 1000A foot on the floor. You'd think that much current would heat something up.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
I saw the same video you are referring to from Sofyan (Redline)....
I am thinking bc this first manufacturer is new to Ford and not enough testing prior to releasing the MME, they want to be cautious as much as possible.

I thought I would hate the 5 sec limiter as well but it has not been the case with my driving it.....

Not to say that I don't want it taken away......Not a deal-breaker with me

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The 2016 S550 Shelby GT350 has known overheating problems that causes it to go into limp mode. There's a class action trial next month over it. I know it's not a 5.0 coyote but my point is that the fossil GTs aren't immune to getting nerfed.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/ford-shelby-gt-mustang-overheating
Sponsored