Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Good write up.

I was more worried about the coolant but the Ford Owner's Manual (which is oddly very detailed on the coolant) says adding up to a liter of coolant per month is normal.

There had better be a low coolant alert if it wants coolant once a month! Sheesh - I thought I wasn’t supposed to see my service department, except for tire rotations 😢
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Thanks.
That was I-8 heading East from San Diego towards Arizona. We had attended the Fully Charged Live show and was heading back home. :)
Ah, the nice part of California then - the desert 🙂

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am not sure those seals are leaking. I believe they are bearings and the internal pressure may be pushing the lubricant through the bearings. Which could be a perfect amount. Just a thought. Great post! I am going to watch the tear down video again.
That could very well be the case. My brother's RWD car shows the same sort of seepage. Does look like bearing lubricant. He only has 19k miles on his car but it's rear wheel drive only so that motor works a little harder compared to AWD (all else being equal of course).
The front motor is more concerning. The service manager thinks it's motor oil getting past the seal and is more concerned about that. Luckily it will be covered under the extended powertrain warranty (8 yr/ 100k miles).

Here is what my brother's Select looks like.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 50,000 mile owner update. Quite an impressive vehicle overall. 1663086497552

I appreciate @SnBGC posting this. Forums are full of mostly negative things, some very real issues, some due to the vehicle owner not familiar with vehicles, or not familiar with EVs, or bitching and whining about every little thing on leading edge technology and somewhat unrealistic expectations. This is one of heaviest use cases of a Mach-E, and it's refreshing to see the feedback.
I was a bit jaded early on (around 25k-30k miles) but then I talked with some folks at Ford and the end result of that discussion prompted me to adjust my expectations a tiny bit and then things were less disturbing. I think I was expecting Super Duty durability and stability since my primary experience with Ford products is on the fleet side. That expectation tracked well with the Focus Electric that I drove for 50k miles so I transferred that same set of expectation to the Mach-E without comprehending the quantum shift in technology that exists in this car compared to anything that I have owned previously.

Result. Very satisfied that I purchased this vehicle and would consider another Ford vehicle in the future provided I can obtain it at MSRP or even a slight discount.

Good write up.

I was more worried about the coolant but the Ford Owner's Manual (which is oddly very detailed on the coolant) says adding up to a liter of coolant per month is normal.
My uncle said the same basic thing (he is an EV certified tech for Ford). He said "normal". I was a bit surprised but maybe so. We checked out all the hose fittings and there are no signs of leakage.
As someone only 2.5 months and 5,000 miles into ownership, I really appreciate the time the OP took to make this post. Especially on what is obvious the previous model year. Thank you @SnBGC !
I have found this car to be very liberating. I use it quite often and run errands that I normally wouldn't do if I was driving a gasoline/diesel vehicle. I go more places and see more things now that my transportation there is much cleaner and efficient then before. 👍
Yes. Most charging is L2 and it is my daily driver.
I still have 18 kWh of DCFC remaining of the 250 that Ford gifted me when I bought the car so I don't road trip all that much.

Whatever range anxiety I had previously has now vanished and been replaced with Charger Anxiety. I worry about the DCFC stations functioning well or at all and that is very stressful. I drove to San Diego this past weekend and it felt like a gamble. Not worried about the car at all. Just worried that the EA station in Yuma was going to work. Got a failed session when I first plugged in but then I called the phone number and the agent started the machine for me. On the way back it did it all by itself but then 5 minutes later it stopped. Luckily I looked at my phone while I was sitting in the restaurant having dinner. I went back out and restarted the session. It took an extra 30 minutes because that was how long it was stopped before I noticed it in Ford Pass. Thankfully FordPass said something....
Ford Mustang Mach-E 50,000 mile owner update. Quite an impressive vehicle overall. 1663088231894

Ford Mustang Mach-E 50,000 mile owner update. Quite an impressive vehicle overall. 1663088260721

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Whatever range anxiety I had previously has now vanished and been replaced with Charger Anxiety. I worry about the DCFC stations functioning well or at all and that is very stressful.
I'm only a couple months in, but yeah that's my anxiety as well. It seems like a crapshoot and a real risk to a road trip. Once you work out the charging stops on a longer road trip, then you just cross your fingers that the stations are operational. Plugshare does help, but not enough.

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Escape, 22 Mach-E, Premium, RWD, LR, Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I drove to Encinitas on Friday but was afraid to take the Mache. I drove my Escape instead. I was so happy I made that choice as we had rain and winds from west of Yuma. We witnessed two accidents . I will probably never drive the Mache to California on that route. Memorial Day weekend saw the power out at all charging stations in Blythe area so people were stranded for up to nine hours. I will keep an ICE car for the long trips.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Great write up. At my current rate it will take me 8-10 years to put on 50K miles though imagine I will be on my 2nd or 3rd EC by then.

Unless I missed something sounds like you got lucky and got one of the better HVBJBs from the get go.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Great write up. At my current rate it will take me 8-10 years to put on 50K miles though imagine I will be on my 2nd or 3rd EC by then.

Unless I missed something sounds like you got lucky and got one of the better HVBJBs from the get go.
I suppose. If there was an issue with the HVBJB, then I surely would have exposed it by now.....at least I think so. I guess we'll see what happens. It took almost 350k miles for my water pump to fail in my 7.3 liter PowerStroke. Truck has over 400k miles now and still on the original starter so who knows? Everything has a lifespan I guess. The HVBJB seems to be doing just fine as far as I can tell. Here is a list of things that I started doing differently once I learned about the HVBJB issue: (in no particular order....)
  1. Nothing.
  2. Nothing.
  3. Nothing.
  4. Nothing.

:)

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Yes. Many will do that. It is in their interest to find something that needs attention. :)
That's what they get paid for I hope so because I don't got or some don't have time and equipment nor the patients to be looking for all that stuff. I used to, when iI had cars that were easy to maintain and fix on your own now. Not to mention the parts were widely available. Now tight spacing where you need to get to and the electrical wiring all that good stuff.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I just passed 12 months owned and driven only 7k miles. Being retired I don’t drive much anymore and my wife won’t take it out in snow or slush.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I do a lot of driving on local freeways around 65-68 mph and surface streets are around 45-50 mph. When the ambient temps are 110F or higher, then I see range estimates around 270-280 miles. Once it cools down to 105 or less then I see 300 miles or just a bit more. Reality is probably around 290 miles on a full charge from what I have observed.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 50,000 mile owner update. Quite an impressive vehicle overall. 1663088260721
Check your messages!

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
My 18 month old Mach-E has finally reached the 50,000 mile mark. Quite an impressive vehicle overall.
I think this is a fantastic vehicle that is let down by glitchy software. That being said, the software obstacles are totally manageable. Meaning, the random software issues have never kept me from using the car. The critical systems have always functioned as expected. So far, the glitches have been with auxiliary features such as infotainment, driving aids, mobile app etc.

I don't see any reason for a play-by-play of my ownership experience. Many here already know the great things about this car so the purpose of this post is to talk about some items that I have experience along the way and get some feedback if others are having similar experiences.

So let's see....
The tires have worn evenly on all four corners and I drove them for 49,655 miles before installing a new set. That is VERY good performance for a BEV tire in my opinion. Those still had a little over 4/32" of tread dept still so I could have probably gone to 55k miles but I didn't see any reason to risk it.

1. I did notice that at around 45k miles the MECS (motor and electronics cooling system) degas tank was low on fluid.
  2. I see some oil seepage past the axle seals on the front and rear motor. Front is worse....rear isn't so bad.
  3. The driver's door panel is starting to show some sun fading where the top rail of the door panel is exposed to the sun.
  4. I had a rattle in the right rear side of the car that turned out to be a loose door striker latch. That was a simple job to tighten it back up again. No biggie.
  5. I get regular messages for Front Camera Fault and Collision Assistance Un-Available messages. When those occur, the driving aids don't work very well. So far these episodes have been temporary and the system returns to normal operation within a mile or two.
I have learned to live with the update process. They always have some sort of consequence but usually they are minor issues that are easy to remedy or go away on their own after a short while. I am disappointed to lose the ability to track off center when using Lane Centering but it's not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. Blue Cruise Hands-Free is pretty nice when it is working well. I find it works well when out on the open road. I recently drove to San Diego and back and that system substantially reduced the amount of driver fatigue that I would normally experience otherwise. So, there is value there for those that have the use of that system.

Some of the notices in FordPass are pretty useful. The car really doesn't like to be low on washer fluid and it lets me know on the driver's screen every few hours as well as in Ford Pass. :) I also got a neat notice about my tires needing to be replaced so that was pretty cool (even though I was on top of it already....).

I really like the native navigation system. Has worked very very well for me. I don't use Carplay or Android Auto but I like that the car supports those features and can do it without wires. That comes in very handy when my wife or kids have something on their phones that I want to put on the screen. It's pretty easy just to switch over to their broadcast and continue driving along.

This car has saved me a ton of money in fuel, maintenance and repairs. I estimate around $8,000 per year. I would recommend this vehicle to others. It is fun to drive. Well built. Has all the features that I need and a bunch of additional features that I never knew I liked but am now glad to have.

I will get the leaking motor seals looked at and shoot for another 50k trouble free miles. 👍

I got to over 40k miles in about 13 months then stopped making my long commute, still under 41k miles. Nice write-up, thanks for sharing!

lindseybp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Country flag
Great post OP. 50k in 18 months, wow. I'm sure you have saved a lot of money by not having to buy gas with that kind of mileage. Thousands probably?
Sponsored