Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2020 Lexus NX300 Hybrid
Occupation
I.T. Consultant
Country flag
As I go on, or plan, road trips it really brings home how early we still are in the electrification of motoring.

I routinely get crap from buddies that I can’t go exploring in obscure places (e.g. up to Yosemite or Death Valley Nat’l Parks) with little to no charging stations since it will be likely I will get stranded.

The US infrastructure bill will *hopefully* quickly accelerate charger penetration as will heavy investment from legacy organizations selling that flammable dinosaur nectar:

Fossil fuel giant Shell plans to deploy 500,000 charge points by 2025 and possibly 2.5 million by 2030 globally: https://www.electrive.com/2022/09/13/shell-to-utilize-driivz-charging-software/
Sponsored

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
500k. Spots.
75% broken
Most at wal mart
With an ICE ram truck parked in the open one with a guy with a mullet and a MAGA hat leering at you
I love the car I hate fueling it any place else but my garage
America please fix that
Jes sayin. I used to own Tesla and Elon did it better?
He spent on the charging infrastructure and his buyers loved it

I think the American budget can also achieve like Elon did.
jes waiting

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, road tripping is still the Achille's heel of BEVs. Unfortunately the infrastructure bill got watered down way too much to even hit 100,000 new charging plugs, and it will take 2 to 3 years for them to come on line in significant numbers.

It is still possible to road trip in the existing travel corridors, although the chargers are going to be crowded soon.

Last edited:

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Yes, road tripping is still the Achille's heel of BEVs. Unfortunately the infrastructure bill got watered down way too much to even hit 100,000 new charging plugs, and it will take 2 to 3 years for them to come on line.

It is still possible to road trip in the existing travel corridors, although the chargers are going to be crowded soon.
Based on recent videos it looks like EA has just been holding off until they start replacing charge station hardware with newer models. Fingers crossed they are able to replace existing hardware quickly and the new chargers are much more robust.

I think by 2024 it will be much better since we have multiple efforts happening now from EA, EVgo, and Tesla. Others will begin to improve and expand as funds from the US become available to offset/cover the cost of equipment and deployment.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Based on recent videos it looks like EA has just been holding off until they start replacing charge station hardware with newer models. Fingers crossed they are able to replace existing hardware quickly and the new chargers are much more robust.

I think by 2024 it will be much better since we have multiple efforts happening now from EA, EVgo, and Tesla. Others will begin to improve and expand as funds from the US become available to offset/cover the cost of equipment and deployment.
It has taken EA 5 years to get to 2600 DCFC chargers; replacing the older existing ones is going to put a crimp in them opening new ones. The infrastructure bill is ludicrously over-optimistic. Just like with everything else there's no way the supply chain will be able to put more than 10,000 in place per year; the road trip situation is going to get a lot worse and be bad for a long time before it gets better. Even Tesla is supply constrained for their chargers; if they really are going to ship a million BEVs a year their network is going to be overwhelmed as well.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Producing the charging stations is the easy part. Producing enough transformers and trenching untold miles of concrete and asphalt to install the chargers will prove to be too much to ask, IMO.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Surprised NY wasn't approved. They had a good plan
NYS is already in the process of updating all of their highway service stations and DCFC are part of that, what kind and how many, I don’t know. The addition from this new bill will make substantial improvements. I have already seen some NYS EV sites on certain roads.

it is coming just need to hold out for a little while

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It has taken EA 5 years to get to 2600 DCFC chargers; replacing the older existing ones is going to put a crimp in them opening new ones. The infrastructure bill is ludicrously over-optimistic. Just like with everything else there's no way the supply chain will be able to put more than 10,000 in place per year; the road trip situation is going to get a lot worse and be bad for a long time before it gets better. Even Tesla is supply constrained for their chargers; if they really are going to ship a million BEVs a year their network is going to be overwhelmed as well.
Is that a million more teslas in the US? Some of the Tesla owners I know have never fast charged or done so, once or twice. I have Never seen anTesla station super busy. I am sure it is just my area. EV sales not as great as some other areas

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Is that a million more teslas in the US? Some of the Tesla owners I know have never fast charged or done so, once or twice. I have Never seen anTesla station super busy. I am sure it is just my area. EV sales not as great as some other areas
Worldwide, but that is this year. They're alleging 2 million next year. Considering it took them until 2020 to sell their 1 millionth car, that is a huge increase. As for crowded charging stations I am sure you can find pictures of stations in california with teslas lined up waiting

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
s; if they really are going to ship a million BEVs a year their network is going to be overwhelmed as well.
Genius submission
The problem is easy ….. it’s not the vehicle it’s ……..fueling away from your home quickly so you can do long trips

Despite what anyone says about it being an adventure, and having fun at the charging stations, it’s just a giant pain in the ass. It’s perhaps crap food near a Walmart. Or worse. Like Dateland AZ or Colorado City UT. I see 500 miles circles with absolutely no charging available. And does anybody want to wait in line for an hour just to plug in for another half an hour. If its working ? What are we now becoming northern Mexico?

And you can end up in the middle of nowhere at the desert charging station with no ability to charge. It’s happened to me.

in addition, the charging stations are becoming hot points for random crime
That would make sense since Walmart is the biggest crime zones in every police department’s blotter. It is where drug dealers and human traffickers bring their clients. Born on the legacy that they used to allow them to park their motorhome is the parking lot … every carny in America And most EV’s show money. You’re a sitting duck for crime the way the system is currently set up and I know you have not experienced that but I have but it’s increasing and I’ve seen it and it’s real. I have about 300,000 miles in electric vehicles since 2010.

other than downtown Detroit there’s no place more dangerous in America than a Walmart parking lot

America hast to do better

Jes sayin

Last edited:

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Surprised NY wasn't approved. They had a good plan
Here‘s a statement I found about the states that weren’t approved yet.

The only states that haven’t yet been approved are Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, Texas, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Officials noted that the approval of these state charging plans is being made quickly and ahead of schedule. After this first large batch, states will get approved “on a rolling basis,” according to the Department of Energy.

“We are reviewing the remaining plans and on track to finish the process by our target date of September 30, if not sooner,” said Acting Federal Highway Administrator Stephanie Pollack, in a release. “Our shared work to bring President Biden’s vision for a national electric vehicle network to communities across America is too important to wait.”
Sponsored