dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
Tracking my canceled order also, ordered 4/30 and nothing has happened yet.

If the car was built why does it take so long for Ford to ship? That should be a couple days?
Final inspections, loading on to rail cars, then filling those rail cars to make a full trip to KC. This process can take some time, especially if it just missed the last train that just left.
Sponsored

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Final inspections, loading on to rail cars, then filling those rail cars to make a full trip to KC. This process can take some time, especially if it just missed the last train that just left.
Ok but built on July 3rd and eta mid September? That's just unacceptable

My car was shipped from California to Colorado in 2 days. If you buy from Carvana, Carmax, etc.. they will ship across the country and have it to you in something like 2-5 days.

Surely Ford has an even larger and more powerful transport infrastructure?

theRealDevo

First Name
Deven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo XC60 T6; 57 Thunderbird
Country flag
Honestly I think it really comes down to expectations, A lot of people are without while waiting for their new car to come in and it really does stink but this is unprecedented circumstances which throws everyone for a loop.
Yeah, I get that, my expectations came from Ford directly, stating they had the chips to make sure their Bronco and MMEs were not impacted, and 22-24 weeks from Order to Delivery(per their site). I ordered 3/8- would have put us just on time with the 8/30 delivery my dealer gave me. Now, if we dont have any further delays we wont expect to see a car till November... To think I placed a Lightning Reservation thinking I want to go through this again.

OP
OP
dixiekidd88

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok but built on July 3rd and eta mid September? That's just unacceptable

My car was shipped from California to Colorado in 2 days. If you buy from Carvana, Carmax, etc.. they will ship across the country and have it to you in something like 2-5 days.

Surely Ford has an even larger and more powerful transport infrastructure?
Two different animals, you are referring to USED vehicles not new. New cars have a much longer process to get to their destination.

These come by rail to KC, unloaded and then go from there to another rail car or are trucked to close by dealerships.

Where I am in California, the car goes from Mexico to KC by rail. Then from KC by rail to Richmond, CA. From there it is loaded onto a truck and then delivered to the dealership.

Used vehicles are much more simpler, just picked up at a dealership and transferred by truck.

OP
OP
dixiekidd88

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I get that, my expectations came from Ford directly, stating they had the chips to make sure their Bronco and MMEs were not impacted, and 22-24 weeks from Order to Delivery(per their site). I ordered 3/8- would have put us just on time with the 8/30 delivery my dealer gave me. Now, if we dont have any further delays we wont expect to see a car till November... To think I placed a Lightning Reservation thinking I want to go through this again.
Ordering a new vehicle, that is first of its production that parts have been affected by natural disaster and the pandemic is not for the faint of heart. Its aggravating and stressful, however these are man made products and life happens. I am not saying its not right to be upset or aggravated, just saying its part of this process.

I too have a reservation for a Lightening, and I am fully prepared to wait as long as needed or change my plans depending on what the future holds.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Two different animals, you are referring to USED vehicles not new. New cars have a much longer process to get to their destination.

These come by rail to KC, unloaded and then go from there to another rail car or are trucked to close by dealerships.

Where I am in California, the car goes from Mexico to KC by rail. Then from KC by rail to Richmond, CA. From there it is loaded onto a truck and then delivered to the dealership.

Used vehicles are much more simpler, just picked up at a dealership and transferred by truck.
Well I had both in my example, my Model 3 rolled off the assembly line at Fremont, CA on Sunday June 20th, and was in Denver on Wednesday June 23rd. The Carvana and Carmax examples are used of course.

I dunno it just seems a bit crazy to me if Carvana will ship me a 10K Toyota Camry across the country in 2-5 days but Ford can't give me a brand new 50K Mach-E of which they are only producing several thousand per month in less than 10-13 weeks ?

az-paco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Prius, '21 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I dunno it just seems a bit crazy to me if Carvana will ship me a 10K Toyota Camry across the country in 2-5 days but Ford can't give me a brand new 50K Mach-E of which they are only producing several thousand per month in less than 10-13 weeks ?
Well, given the size and history of all the big automakers, the delivery process was built based on a slow but steady, high volume flow of new vehicles from the factories to the dealers (lots of long-term contracts and union negotiations involved). Tesla and the national used-car companies are much more nimble. I want my car too, but I know that patience is the only thing keeping me from spending more than necessary in order to get the car I want.

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
The Mach-E I ordered was finally shipped yesterday, 8 weeks after its initial production date. ETA 9/20. Really thankful I just went and snagged one off the lot 10 days ago.

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Well I had both in my example, my Model 3 rolled off the assembly line at Fremont, CA on Sunday June 20th, and was in Denver on Wednesday June 23rd. The Carvana and Carmax examples are used of course.

So you're comparing shipping a car within the US vs shipping vehicles internationally. Makes sense...not.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
No update on my order via the Ford site.

For shits and giggles, just checked Tesla. If I order today, it's 5 weeks for a MY Performance edition. Ford needs to get their communication fixed. Thinking hard of bailing on this if the delay is an additional 6 weeks. Are you listening @Ford Motor Company

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag

For shits and giggles, just checked Tesla. If I order today, it's 5 weeks for a MY Performance edition. Ford needs to get their communication fixed. Thinking hard of bailing on this if the delay is an additional 6 weeks. Are you listening @Ford Motor Company
You do realize that Ford doesn't really care. Someone will snatch up your "cancelled" order in a heartbeat when it arrives, because you may be out of the order, but dealership isn't going to take delivery of that bad boy. They'll probably sell it with a $2.5K - $10K, or more, ADM.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
You do realize that Ford doesn't really care. Someone will snatch up your "cancelled" order in a heartbeat when it arrives, because you may be out of the order doesn't mean the dealership isn't going to take delivery of that bad boy. They'll probably sell it with a $2.5K - $10K, or more, ADM.
I sure do realize. The guy down the street custom ordered a Taycan and got it last week. 4 weeks order to deliver and it was made in Germany. Tesla selling 20x the cars and 5 to 7 weeks order to delivery. Ford - will likely be a full calendar year. I'll also add, does anybody feel that the dealerships even know how to sell and service these cars.

Ford needs to get their shit together. They have done a textbook example of poor customer expectation management.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
So you're comparing shipping a car within the US vs shipping vehicles internationally. Makes sense...not.
I realize you're defending Ford because you're also waiting for weeks for shipment after your car was built.

Mexico City is like 400 miles farther to Denver than Fremont CA is, not buying that takes an additional 4-10 weeks even if it is international.

Forget Tesla, when we got my wife's Mini they said if we wanted to custom order it would come from a BMW plant in the Netherlands in 3-4 weeks.

OP
OP
dixiekidd88

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

For every customer who ditches their order, there are at least 5-10 people who are interested and one of them will buy it. Don't get me wrong, it is upsetting and I am sure Ford does not want to loose customers however these are the effects of the Pandemic, natural disaster and demand being much higher than expected.

This has turned into a patience game, and honestly the world we have been living in, we have zero patience. We are use to having what we want, when we want here and now.

OP
OP
dixiekidd88

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

5 weeks for which model? Also these time frames are to me here only about an hour away from Tesla in CA.

Model Y Long range is December, performance is 6-7 weeks
Model S Long range is March-April, Plaid is January-February
Model 3 Standard is November, as is Long Range, Plaid is 5-7 weeks
Model X is March-April for both options
Sponsored