awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Car is doing just fine and is as reliable as ever. Original tires lasted 50k miles, the front traction motor did have a leaking axle seal that was covered under warranty but there haven't been any mechanical issues otherwise.

Some convenience features no longer work. It was nice while I had them but I guess the software has worn out. Didn't know that was a thing but it's the only explanation that I can think of for why these things aren't working any longer.

• Front Camera Fault and Pre-Collision Assist Unavailable messages are still occuring (This one might actually be a faulty cable but since my warranty has expired I am not going to bother with it until it fails completely...)
  • PaaK works about 20% of the time. I actually did a test recently where I used PaaK exclusively for an entire day and out of 10 trips the Kick to Open was 1 for 5, the door open button worked 7 times on the first try, the start button worked 6 of 10 times and walk away lock worked 5 out of 10 times
  • Driver Profiles don't work
  • Rain Sensing wiper system does not work
  • Charge locations don't work (vehicles charges when plugged in every time now)
  • Departure times do not work
  • Bluetooth connection for phone to Sync does not work most times (about 1 out of 10 times it connects. However, it does automatically connect to AA every time so that is a plus.
Lots of other stuff still works fine though....

• Fob
  • Kick to Open
  • Windows
  • Turn Signals
  • Folding mirrors
  • Wireless charging pad
  • Seat and wheel warmers
  • Radio
  • Navigation
  • Remote Start
  • Programmable driver settings on the door panel
  • Door poppers
  • Door Pillar Keypad
  • Backup Start Codes
  • Reverse camera
  • etc, etc, etc

Still a pretty great car even with the missing convenience features. 👍

20230103_072624.jpg
I'm curious to know if you have any data on impact to range and/or battery state of health after 60k miles? Thanks.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oh my, how the bar has been lowered. I have owned many cars in my life and if I had this many problems for the first 60,000 miles I would have labeled this thread as totally unacceptable.

The recent purchases of mine have been a 21 Toyota Highlander Platinum at 10,000 miles along with a 22 Toyota Prius at 25,000 miles and to date I have had zero issues (as one should expect).

My 22 MME has issue's with the PAAK functioning half the time and I have a little under 1,000 miles on it. I fully expected this with a Ford brand. The last Ford I had was a Ford Focus which was a total piece of crap. The reviews were pretty solid for the MME and that is why I pulled the trigger on this one and came back so to speak.

This is my first new domestic car that I have purchased in quite some time. I can say that all of the domestic brands have given me issues and the non-domestic cars (mainly Toyota) have had very few issues.

After reading your problems that you are having, I am getting that knot in my stomach that I should have learned long ago not to go back to a domestic brand.

Just like all of the domestic brands I have had, they look cool and drive well but they give you problems at a rate that is annoying to say the least.

Bar say hello to ground.

I think you have a valid point. But to be fair....my 1999 Super Duty Power Stroke went about 160k miles before it's first sniff of any issues and I think that was a ICP sensor. The alternator failed around 240k IIRC and the water pump around 350k and it's still on the original started. So, the bar was pretty high even with domestic brands. The original software calibrations are working just fine too. There might have been one or two update flashes performed by the dealer over the years but I bet the truck would have been fine without them too.

So, back to your point. Yeah, the bar has been lowered. Auto manufacturers have figured out they can ship an incomplete vehicle and people will gladly purchase it on the promise that stuff will get fixed via OTA after we take delivery. We would never accept that with a suspension component or something like switches or controls but we appear to be TOTALLY fine with buggy or flat out missing software. My car shipped without Blue Cruise Hands Free because it wasn't ready and I guess that was fine with me because I still bought the car anyway. Some of the first Lightnings shipped without the PaaK feature and that had to be added later. Some Mach-E cars shipped without kick to open even though the hardware was present. Just a crazy world we live in these days. The buying public has become more gullible and I am standing right there in line with the rest of them.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'm curious to know if you have any data on impact to range and/or battery state of health after 60k miles? Thanks.
Wait until summer. I can't get any useful data during the winter because my baseline readings were taken when ambient temps were 90F or greater. So far there has been no observable degradation but that only means I haven't yet observed it. There should be some but apparently it hasn't become a meaningful amount yet.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
PaaK works about 20% of the time. I actually did a test recently where I used PaaK exclusively for an entire day and out of 10 trips the Kick to Open was 1 for 5, the door open button worked 7 times on the first try, the start button worked 6 of 10 times and walk away lock worked 5 out of 10 times
I've had similar experience with PAAK, but recently I got a new phone (Samsung ZFold) and now PAAK works about 80% of the time. Still not good, but better.

Driver Profiles don't work
Mine never worked, and since I'm the only dirver, I didn't want to invest the time in figuring it out. However, my newly acquired F150 Lightning has working Driver Profiles.

Kick to Open
My Kick to open works every time. However, Kick to close works about 30% of the time.

Door Pillar Keypad
I don't use it much, but I like the way it blends into the pillar, as opposed to the big ugly keypad on Ford's other vehicles.

Bluetooth connection for phone to Sync does not work most times (about 1 out of 10 times it connects. However, it does automatically connect to AA every time so that is a plus.
Isn't AA using BT connection? So failure/success rate should be the same?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
He has an extremely early job 1 build.
^^^ This.

I am not saying we should lower the bar for the very first cars produced, but I used to be an engineer supporting a manufacturing line for a Japanese company, and I know first hand how many improvements are made in the first week, first month, and first year of production. It is just the way it works.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Are you sure? The wipers use a separate infrared sensor (round circle), not the camera. Or have you observed this yourself? Only Tesla is dumb enough to use the camera as a rain sensor.
Pretty sure I read that somewhere. I could be wrong.

edit: I stand corrected: I just looked into it: there is a separate sensor in thr front camera complex. My bad 😳

Last edited:

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I kinda suspect the software failures are more a function of time vs a function of miles. I believe there are many owners here with similar issues. As near as I can tell, the software just doesn't last very long before it needs to be updated. Although, it seems like many of the software failures coincide with random updates so maybe the code just gets less stable over time? I have no idea what is the real purpose of updates but apparently everyone feels they are necessary so I guess we need them. Most everything (except PaaK) worked pretty good when the car was new but I don't know if the software failures would have happened even if there were no updates. Maybe the stuff lasted this long BECAUSE of the updates and would have otherwise failed much sooner.
I dunno....

🤔
Software generally does not fail because it gets old and tired.

I'm taking the opposite view - I assume that updates are the problem, not the solution. I am trying to reject any updates for a year or so, and hoping that will keep my car working well. We'll see how that works out for me...

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Software generally does not fail because it gets old and tired.
That has been my experience as well. We have probably owned over a hundred Ford vehicles and their software almost always lasts longer than the hardware. This is the first vehicle that has done the opposite.

To be fair......the software for the critical systems must be different than the convenience systems because my car has never been unusable. It always starts, always drives, always gets me there (provided I have enough energy to make the journey). Maybe they are two different types of software. One is robust and rock solid and the other is more delicate and fragile. ???

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
To be fair......the software for the critical systems must be different than the convenience systems because my car has never been unusable. It always starts, always drives, always gets me there (provided I have enough energy to make the journey). Maybe they are two different types of software. One is robust and rock solid and the other is more delicate and fragile. ???
No doubt there is some truth in that. But ultimately, all software is programmed by human beings, and we are not perfect. That would make me very nervous if I were ever to rely on something like BlueCruise or AutoPilot for critical safety functions. The more complex the system, the harder it is to make it rock solid.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Car is doing just fine and is as reliable as ever. Original tires lasted 50k miles, the front traction motor did have a leaking axle seal that was covered under warranty but there haven't been any mechanical issues otherwise.

Some convenience features no longer work. It was nice while I had them but I guess the software has worn out. Didn't know that was a thing but it's the only explanation that I can think of for why these things aren't working any longer.

• Front Camera Fault and Pre-Collision Assist Unavailable messages are still occuring (This one might actually be a faulty cable but since my warranty has expired I am not going to bother with it until it fails completely...)
  • PaaK works about 20% of the time. I actually did a test recently where I used PaaK exclusively for an entire day and out of 10 trips the Kick to Open was 1 for 5, the door open button worked 7 times on the first try, the start button worked 6 of 10 times and walk away lock worked 5 out of 10 times
  • Bluetooth connection for phone to Sync does not work most times (about 1 out of 10 times it connects. However, it does automatically connect to AA every time so that is a plus.

• Fob
  • Kick to Open
  • Windows
  • Turn Signals
  • Folding mirrors
  • Wireless charging pad
  • Seat and wheel warmers
  • Radio
  • Navigation
  • Remote Start
  • Door poppers
  • Door Pillar Keypad
  • Backup Start Codes
  • Reverse camera
  • etc, etc, etc

20230103_072624.jpg

• Fob
  • Kick to Open
  • Windows
  • Turn Signals
  • Folding mirrors
  • Wireless charging pad
  • Seat and wheel warmers
  • Radio
  • Navigation
  • Remote Start
  • Door poppers
  • Door Pillar Keypad
  • Backup Start Codes
  • Reverse camera
  • etc, etc, etc

20230103_072624.jpg
I’m not trying to be snarky but after 13,000 miles I don’t have any of these problems. During this time the only trouble I had with diminished functioning was me after birthday #76. Huh. Maybe I do have some of these problems and just don’t know it.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

• Fob
  • Kick to Open
  • Windows
  • Turn Signals
  • Folding mirrors
  • Wireless charging pad
  • Seat and wheel warmers
  • Radio
  • Navigation
  • Remote Start
  • Door poppers
  • Door Pillar Keypad
  • Backup Start Codes
  • Reverse camera
  • etc, etc, etc

20230103_072624.jpg
Thanks for the update, always nice to know what the future holds while owning this Ford.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

• Fob
  • Kick to Open
  • Windows
  • Turn Signals
  • Folding mirrors
  • Wireless charging pad
  • Seat and wheel warmers
  • Radio
  • Navigation
  • Remote Start
  • Door poppers
  • Door Pillar Keypad
  • Backup Start Codes
  • Reverse camera
  • etc, etc, etc

20230103_072624.jpg
Recalls are based on safety items are major defects. Report them to the federal safety board and if enough complaints are filed a recall could be warranted. Also complain to Ford directly. The more noise from owners may help.

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
I had 55,602 miles on my January build Job 1 first edition when I traded it last week. I was in EA and had frequent updates and did not have any of these problems. My rain sensing wipers always worked, my PAAK always worked (I used it exclusively) eventually-but not always on the first button push, the profiles worked after the most recent software update, etc. It was flawless (practically) except for my charge port. I must have charged at a dirty plug once and it caused hot spots on the prongs. These hot spots created resistance which created heat, which lead to charge faults and service vehicle messages. This lead me to be unable to charge at greater than 32 Amps (winter) and 24 amps (summer) for the last 30k miles or so. Ford wouldn’t fix it, and I wasn’t willing to pay the $1800 to replace the port on the car.

While I traded it in on a car that is arguably not as advanced as the Mach-e (C40), I still look back fondly on the Mach-e and its reliability was excellent.

EDIT: no noticeable degradation in the battery. I still got 285 or so miles per 100% charge when the weather was above 60 which is the same/similar to when it was new.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLW

MidwestElectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
my experience at 53k Ca Rte 1 2021

Front Camera Fault and Pre-Collision Assist Unavailable messages - rarely occur

PaaK works about 98% of the time - two tricks to try - turn off app and restart; and open and close driver door (doing this with left hand fingers crossed greatly increases odds)

I don’t Kick my car

Driver Profiles sometimes doesn’t work - so I manually switch

Rain Sensing wipers system work

Charge locations works perfectly except in parking garages where gps gets confused

Not taken for service for 25 k miles but I should

Range - will find out in summer

Anxious about switching to another car (Lucid) ordered when the time comes

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I've only put 18,000 miles on my job1, haven't had the windshield done yet (scheduled for next week), and realized quickly paak was a gimmick so don't use it. I also don't use scheduled departures, so can't say about that.

So, the only issue I have are the recent screwups with profiles being hit-or-miss. As for the cause of the problems: I wholeheartedly disagree that Fords are endemically bad. I've owned 5 prior Fords and they were problem free until they started needing maintenance when they got long in the tooth and odometer. The Mach-E is a whole new animal for Ford, and they clearly haven't done well with the software or the "rolling computer" concept.

Meanwhile the company that led the hybrid revolution is perfectly happy to sit complacently behind internal combustion engines indefinitely - to the tune of helping cripple ICE fuel efficiency standards.

Sorry, but I'll take the Mach-E with whatever warts it has over anything Akio Toyoda has to offer.
I agree with timbop. Cars in general, especially EVs, are getting more and more techy, more and more features, more and more computer reliant, a recipe for things to go wrong over time no matter what the brand.
Sponsored