RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
PAAK has become much less reliable for me (<50%), as does the auto-lock feature that is based on the same Bluetooth. I also get random 'no key detected' while driving.

My theory is that PAAK's performance depends on how many other BlueTooth connections are active on the phone. The more goes on, the worse it gets. I got new Echo Frames (BlueTooth earbuds) and a second phone, and since then it got worse.

Everything else works fine for me, with only rare glitches.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Recalls are based on safety items are major defects. Report them to the federal safety board and if enough complaints are filed a recall could be warranted. Also complain to Ford directly. The more noise from owners may help.
What recalls are you referring to? I have had all recalls performed already.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
PAAK has become much less reliable for me (<50%), as does the auto-lock feature that is based on the same Bluetooth. I also get random 'no key detected' while driving.

My theory is that PAAK's performance depends on how many other BlueTooth connections are active on the phone. The more goes on, the worse it gets. I got new Echo Frames (BlueTooth earbuds) and a second phone, and since then it got worse.

You are correct, if the Bluetooth spectrum or phone is too busy PAAK won't work well. You want a quiet 2.4 GHz spectrum and the phone not doing anything else with Bluetooth or WiFi while using PAAK. It relies on a fast response time. If the response takes too long due to the radio or airwaves being busy, it won't work.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
You are correct, if the Bluetooth spectrum or phone is too busy PAAK won't work well. You want a quiet 2.4 GHz spectrum and the phone not doing anything else with Bluetooth or WiFi while using PAAK. It relies on a fast response time. If the response takes too long due to the radio or airwaves being busy, it won't work.
I don't think my phones are even capable of two or more simultaneous Bluetooth connections. Is this an issue for newer phones only?

losgatos

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Push your charge plug pigtail in all the way. Must be flush with the case.

San Tan Ford seems to have a pretty good service department. They were able to get Blue Cruise Hands Free working after 4 months of trying but the software updates didn't fix the front camera or pre collision assist issue. Warranty is expired now so I will just try and live with it unless it begins to get worse. I only see those messages about once a month lately. Used to be several times per day during the summer.
I wrapped a bungee cord around the mobile charger so the connector will not walk out with repeated temperature cycles.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I don't think my phones are even capable of two or more simultaneous Bluetooth connections. Is this an issue for newer phones only?
No, all modern phones can maintain multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously. The radio has to divide its time between serving the different devices.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag

Reminds me of when I got the OTA update for 2 phones paired at the same time. I have 2 phones paired to my car. I also got a Galaxy smartwatch at the same time. My phone was having problems connecting to my car automatically so I blamed it on the update. It took me a month to figure out it was the talk feature on my smartwatch that wouldn't let my phone connect to my car so I disabled it.

As far as problems, I'm still having a problem with the window switches. Sometimes when I want to roll the windows up, it goes down. I tried to reset the switch by holding the button up for 10 seconds and down for 10 seconds but it still comes back occasionally.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
I'm at 21,000 on a Job 1, December 20 build, and no major issues thus far. Annoyances (e.g. profile bug, I'm stuck on a slightly older release of everything.,) but nothing significant.

Fundamentally, Ford is having to make a monumental cultural and organization shift from making cars to making software that happens to have a car attached to it.

That's much harder than people understand - especially for companies who have been around as long as Ford has. (I see it everyday with the type of work I do - change is HARD for organizations, let alone the magnitude of change Ford and others have to make in a short period of time.)

Does it excuse challenging updates and customer experience? No - but they're not the only established car maker having these issues. VW is even worse; I can also tell you the 2019 Audi I just picked up has an app, and getting it to work with the car has had the dealer flummoxed for 2+ weeks now.

My 2016 Mazda (which I traded in) was rock solid, except it's screen interface rebooted repeatedly anytime the temperature dropped under 20 degrees F. (Most likely was a wiring issue, but shows the tech is also dependent on hardware.)

Tesla, Rivian, etc. - companies that have been built and "grown up" with software/IT in-mind from Day 1 have an advantage, but they're not perfect either.

My point is that we're dealing with bleeding-edge technology, from companies that culturally and organizationally are trying to change to make it work.

Change is hard, consumers have high (but reasonable) expectations that things should work as consistently as flipping on a light switch, and companies that listen to feedback, adapt the most quickly and reliably to those expectations will be more successful.

TLDR; yes, the software and update processes are not ideal, but Ford is showing little signs of "getting it" - but expect more bumps than smooth experiences for some time. 2023 will be a big year for them as more MMEs, Lightning get into the wild, and the noise increases. How they can respond will be critical to their success.

I am rooting for them (selfishly, as I want my MME to be awesome,) but also to see the industry improve overall because we as consumers and a society win.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm at 21,000 on a Job 1, December 20 build, and no major issues thus far. Annoyances (e.g. profile bug, I'm stuck on a slightly older release of everything.,) but nothing significant.

Fundamentally, Ford is having to make a monumental cultural and organization shift from making cars to making software that happens to have a car attached to it.

That's much harder than people understand - especially for companies who have been around as long as Ford has. (I see it everyday with the type of work I do - change is HARD for organizations, let alone the magnitude of change Ford and others have to make in a short period of time.)

Does it excuse challenging updates and customer experience? No - but they're not the only established car maker having these issues. VW is even worse; I can also tell you the 2019 Audi I just picked up has an app, and getting it to work with the car has had the dealer flummoxed for 2+ weeks now.

My 2016 Mazda (which I traded in) was rock solid, except it's screen interface rebooted repeatedly anytime the temperature dropped under 20 degrees F. (Most likely was a wiring issue, but shows the tech is also dependent on hardware.)

Tesla, Rivian, etc. - companies that have been built and "grown up" with software/IT in-mind from Day 1 have an advantage, but they're not perfect either.

My point is that we're dealing with bleeding-edge technology, from companies that culturally and organizationally are trying to change to make it work.

Change is hard, consumers have high (but reasonable) expectations that things should work as consistently as flipping on a light switch, and companies that listen to feedback, adapt the most quickly and reliably to those expectations will be more successful.

TLDR; yes, the software and update processes are not ideal, but Ford is showing little signs of "getting it" - but expect more bumps than smooth experiences for some time. 2023 will be a big year for them as more MMEs, Lightning get into the wild, and the noise increases. How they can respond will be critical to their success.

I am rooting for them (selfishly, as I want my MME to be awesome,) but also to see the industry improve overall because we as consumers and a society win.
All of that is true, but I'll add: software is a bitch. A misplaced parenthesis is all that's needed to cause a bug. Tesla has been debugging and refining theirs for going on 15 years - except for the Full-of-shit-Self-Driving. Rivian has plenty of issues, as does Ford and every other EV maker. The bill of materials for these cars is on the order of 10k parts, but the software is on the order of 100 million lines of code (at least in the case of the Mach-E).

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Pretty sure I read that somewhere. I could be wrong.

edit: I stand corrected: I just looked into it: there is a separate sensor in thr front camera complex. My bad 😳
Yup. If you add the FitCamX dash cam to the Mach-E, you’ve got to spend an inordinate amount of time and anguish pulling the little connector from the rain sensor module!

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
No, all modern phones can maintain multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously. The radio has to divide its time between serving the different devices.
Agree

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Every problem you get could be fixed if enough complaints are filed. Ford is having major defects on quality higher then all other mfg.
Not sure I agree.
A clear safety issue is one thing. Wheels flying off, brake malfunction, headlights not working etc. That makes sense.

Convenience features not working doesn't seem like a safety issue. We are still able to drive the vehicle safely just like any vehicle that doesn't have those features so I don't think a recall is appropriate. Ford provided a 36k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and they have honored it. For those of us who have driven past that warranty then it's on us to make the repairs out of pocket or purchase some sort of extended warranty and take our chances with that.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: RLW

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
my tires were down to the wear bars about 31k, probably due to oregon's horrible roads.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Software doesn't "wear out" - ever. Assuming there are no changes to the environment, it will always run the way it was written. However, new code gets introduced into the codebase all the time, and can have unintended consequences (new bugs - "it used to work, now it doesn't"), but development teams use regression testing in an attempt to ensure everything still works as expected after new code is introduced. I say "attempt" because invariably bugs still sneak in. And the bigger the codebase the harder it is to regression test completely.

And integrations with things like Bluetooth can be a nightmare - the current version of the BT spec is 5.3, but the Mach-E's SYNC software would have been developed back when the spec was on 5.1 (no idea what version it's supports right now), so you can see it's a constantly changing environment. Has Ford kept up? Has Apple & Google? Frequent iOS and Android updates...add another layer of complexity.

But Ford needs to understand they are now a software development firm, not unlike Apple or Google or Microsoft, and it's not easy to do it right. It's also expensive to "do it right", so the financial commitment needs to be there. Good designers are expensive, good software developers are expensive, good process is expensive, good testing is expensive - all so your car unlocks when you walk up to it, and starts when you hit the button.
Sponsored