AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Drove my Premium, Standard Range, RWD Mach-E off the lot on Tuesday and straight on to the interstate from DFW to Tulsa to visit my dad after my mom’s passing on Monday. By the time I made it back to DFW Thursday night I had put 700 miles on the car. Here are my quick thoughts.

The Good:
  • This car is both comfortable on a long trip and super fun to drive. I could go into all the driving dynamics and such, but tldr: if this is an SUV l, it’s definitely the sportiest one I’ve ever driven
  • Even at Texas/Oklahoma highway speeds most of the time (cruise set at 79) I probably averaged 3.3m/Kwh (when temps were between 50-80 degrees out). That dropped to 2.8 or so when a strong north wind and cold front arrived.
  • Sound system was super clear for podcasts/audiobooks and original Broadway cast recordings
  • Wireless CarPlay is so convenient and connects almost instantly. The only issue is when you’re getting in and out of the car repeatedly because you’re on the phone with a charging network (more on that later) and it keeps switching the call back to the car audio.
  • PaaK worked okay for me the couple times I tried it. Once when I stopped during a trip and put the car in park, it wouldn’t let me shift back to drive until I used the start code on the screen. But that worked fine
The Bad:
  • There is definitely wind noise above 40mph coming from the glass roof. Not I’m terribly loud but annoying
  • Still have not been able to get FordPass to push my pre setup profile to the car
  • Can’t figure out how to get CarPlay turn by turn to show up on the instrument cluster
  • FordPass in general is pretty clunky/buggy
  • They need to add a customizable strip of buttons to the infotainment screen. There’s plenty of room. A user determined set of controls you like to get to (trunk release, camera view, etc)
  • Would also be nice to have a way to dismiss the suggested cards if that really isn’t something you will be needing
  • With autohold turned on, my car has a very slight “bump” when I press the accelerator after a stop. A real annoyance in some temporary construction stop and go traffic
  • Intelligent Cruise is great but I found it to be slightly jarring as it accelerated to a new speed. A more natural ramp would be nice
  • See above but for deceleration

The Ugly:
  • I know the roads in Oklahoma are not the smoothest, but the charging pad was fairly useless
  • Day one charging adventure: 6-200kwh chargers at the same location. None worked with the MachE. First EA station further down the road, didn’t work until I spent 20 minutes on the phone with support. Otherwise charging was fine except for a stop at another 200kwh charger a couple days later that also did no work. Could it have something to do with the unit exceeding the 150kwh max for the car?
  • Put seat covers in the car and had to pop the back bench to secure the rear ones. Real pain to put back in and hope I didn’t mess anything up sensor wise
I’ll probably think of other things but that’s what stands out so far.
Sponsored

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
  • Would also be nice to have a way to dismiss the suggested cards if that really isn’t something you will be needing
You can swipe down on a card to dismiss it. Customizable buttons and faster access to things like the camera would be great.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
  • They need to add a customizable strip of buttons to the infotainment screen. There’s plenty of room. A user determined set of controls you like to get to (trunk release, camera view, etc)
Point 1 - I second this 100%

Point 2 - I think you can do this by swiping the card down (or it it up?). I did this accidentally.

OP
OP
AndyS_OSU

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
No. That station rating is just a maximum.
This is what I thought too. It was just suspicious that they were both 200s and none of them worked. In a couple cases they started up for 5 seconds and then it said “Charging Stopped”

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Regarding the Wireless Charging Pad, do you have an iPhone 12/12 Pro/12 Pro Max? If so, my theory is that the MagSafe is interfering with it and stopping the charge. I tested with my spare iPhone 11 Pro and had no issues. My 12 Pro stops charging after a few min even though it hasn't moved on the pad.

Wind noise is absolutely present. I wonder if we can get an aftermarket fix like the one that was introduced for the Model 3?

I really hope they can solve some issues with the software. They can do it quite easily. I just hope the commitment is there.

OP
OP
AndyS_OSU

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Regarding the Wireless Charging Pad, do you have an iPhone 12/12 Pro/12 Pro Max? If so, my theory is that the MagSafe is interfering with it and stopping the charge. I tested with my spare iPhone 11 Pro and had no issues. My 12 Pro stops charging after a few min even though it hasn't moved on the pad.

Wind noise is absolutely present. I wonder if we can get an aftermarket fix like the one that was introduced for the Model 3?

I really hope they can solve some issues with the software. They can do it quite easily. I just hope the commitment is there.
iPhone 12 Pro

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
iPhone 12 Pro
I'd bet my bottom dollar that they didn't test with 12 Pros, since they weren't even out yet during development of the vehicle. I think it's MagSafe. I've heard of this issue with a couple other 12 series owners. But any other phone that supports wireless charging seems to be without issue. You're helping confirm this, thank you!

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
I have to ask - where you brave enough to go all that distance with only your phone as a key or did you take the fob with you?

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
  • Can’t figure out how to get CarPlay turn by turn to show up on the instrument cluster
Great write-up! Day-to-day I am an Android users, on the few occasions I had CarPlay running in my Honda Odyssey the instrument cluster just showed "CarPlay Navigation Active" and never displayed turn-by-turn instructions. On the other hand, with Android Auto turn-by-turn instructions would pop up automatically whenever a turn was coming up, or were displayed constantly if I set the instrument cluster display to Navigation. I always thought it was a limitation on Honda's part, because when I Google'd the issue the top hits were all about Honda, in addition Apple had announced turn-by-turn display in instrument cluster for CarPlay back in 2016. Has anyone gotten it to show on the instrument cluster screen in a Mach-E?

E55 KEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Drove my Premium, Standard Range, RWD Mach-E off the lot on Tuesday and straight on to the interstate from DFW to Tulsa to visit my dad after my mom’s passing on Monday. By the time I made it back to DFW Thursday night I had put 700 miles on the car. Here are my quick thoughts
Sorry to hear about your Mother. Prayers to you and family!

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I'd bet my bottom dollar that they didn't test with 12 Pros, since they weren't even out yet during development of the vehicle. I think it's MagSafe. I've heard of this issue with a couple other 12 series owners. But any other phone that supports wireless charging seems to be without issue. You're helping confirm this, thank you!
I had a 12 pro on the pad for a three hour excursion the other day, it said charging at first but when I got home I noticed it didn’t charge much, this makes sense something is going on.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Add another iPhone 12 Pro user to the list. I'd assumed the phone was moving around, but a simple nudge made it start charging again.

I'm going to stick a cheap off-brand magsafe charger down there and call it a day. Will be easier to use anyways. Once I can get a replacement rubber mat I'll probably try to integrate it into that as well.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
Drove my Premium, Standard Range, RWD Mach-E off the lot on Tuesday and straight on to the interstate from DFW to Tulsa to visit my dad after my mom’s passing on Monday. By the time I made it back to DFW Thursday night I had put 700 miles on the car. Here are my quick thoughts.

The Good:
  • This car is both comfortable on a long trip and super fun to drive. I could go into all the driving dynamics and such, but tldr: if this is an SUV l, it’s definitely the sportiest one I’ve ever driven
  • Even at Texas/Oklahoma highway speeds most of the time (cruise set at 79) I probably averaged 3.3m/Kwh (when temps were between 50-80 degrees out). That dropped to 2.8 or so when a strong north wind and cold front arrived.
  • Sound system was super clear for podcasts/audiobooks and original Broadway cast recordings
  • Wireless CarPlay is so convenient and connects almost instantly. The only issue is when you’re getting in and out of the car repeatedly because you’re on the phone with a charging network (more on that later) and it keeps switching the call back to the car audio.
  • PaaK worked okay for me the couple times I tried it. Once when I stopped during a trip and put the car in park, it wouldn’t let me shift back to drive until I used the start code on the screen. But that worked fine
The Bad:
  • There is definitely wind noise above 40mph coming from the glass roof. Not I’m terribly loud but annoying
  • Still have not been able to get FordPass to push my pre setup profile to the car
  • FordPass in general is pretty clunky/buggy
  • With autohold turned on, my car has a very slight “bump” when I press the accelerator after a stop. A real annoyance in some temporary construction stop and go traffic
  • Intelligent Cruise is great but I found it to be slightly jarring as it accelerated to a new speed. A more natural ramp would be nice
  • See above but for deceleration

The Ugly:
  • I know the roads in Oklahoma are not the smoothest, but the charging pad was fairly useless
  • Day one charging adventure: 6-200kwh chargers at the same location. None worked with the MachE. First EA station further down the road, didn’t work until I spent 20 minutes on the phone with support. Otherwise charging was fine except for a stop at another 200kwh charger a couple days later that also did no work. Could it have something to do with the unit exceeding the 150kwh max for the car?
  • Put seat covers in the car and had to pop the back bench to secure the rear ones. Real pain to put back in and hope I didn’t mess anything up sensor wise
I’ll probably think of other things but that’s what stands out so far.
What company had the 200kwh chargers? I ask because I drive through Oklahoma on my way to Memphis from Denver and want to plan appropriately.