Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Charge daily and charge from 5 miles remaining are not aligned, did I miss something?
If you read the study you'll see they drove 6 days a week and charged it 2x times each day. When the car got to 5 miles of remaining range they would charge again. So they basically did a 100 to 0 charge cycle each time.
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
More data: So I had never checked on SOH - until today.

My battery is reported at 7.59 months old, but I know that is just the date that it was mounted in the car as that is the build date of the car in January (except for chips that I waited for almost 5 months after the car was built). I am sure the pack was assembled weeks before that.

I have driven 4278 miles in the last 3.75 months.

My reported SOH is 99.5%. If that data is accurate, that is a degradation rate of 0.79% per year, however, I am not sure how much of that relates to the first almost 4 months where the car was kept at a nearly full SOC in the hot Mexico climate. I will look at this in another 6 months or so and see what the degradation is then.

In 6.5 years (my other data point from an earlier post) that is projecting a 5.135% loss that is tracking much more like a 2014 Chevy Volt than an "average EV" (that saw an average loss of 11.1%). After 20 years if that tracks at the same rate of loss, I will still have 84% of my battery remaining.

I think the bottom line is just enjoy your car and drive it the way that makes you happy as I think the BMS and battery cooling design appears to be well designed. For me I love driving the car and also like to understand the tech. I know whatever happens this car will put a smile on my face and it exceed my needs for the next 2 decades (at least that is what my plan is).
My car was built 12/10/21 - delivered 3/16/22 and battery reads 8 months old as of 9/3/22

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
A little gold with the repair NPC will easily get your gear back to 100%.

But back on topic... How old is your car now? We can do the math and you don't even have to look.
Mines 23 months. Standard range

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Now I am getting surly. WTH is with my 96% SOH if some are still at 100%? I may need a warranty claim.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
FWIW I drive the same route every day, every week, every month at the same speed.

A year ago at 90% charge the most range I ever saw was 219 miles at 90% charge. A year later, the maximum range at 90% Iā€™ve seen yet is 219 miles. AWD SR. Iā€™m quite ok with that.

The one odd thing Iā€™ve observed is that FordPass will often tell me that Iā€™ve a range thatā€™s 3 miles higher than when I get in the car and turn it on. So 217 might be 214 at start up. The other odd thing is that 100% might be 237-243 and that 100% charge wonā€™t drop to 99% for maybe 5 miles. So thereā€™s a lot of nuance on the analytics there. I donā€™t care as the car consistently performs very well. BTE, I usually get home with 40%-53% charge left (depending on weather). The worst mileage estimate I ever saw in the dead of winter was 137 miles at 90% (long 28-34 cold spell). That all being said my 28,000+ average of 3.7 Mi/KWh is fine by me.

While Iā€™m religious about preconditioning in late fall and winter, not at all in summer as our nighttime temp is rarely under 58 F.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bah. 96%. I need a new battery.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My reported SOH is 99.5%. If that data is accurate, that is a degradation rate of 0.79% per year, however, I am not sure how much of that relates to the first almost 4 months where the car was kept at a nearly full SOC in the hot Mexico climate. I will look at this in another 6 months or so and see what the degradation is then.
The plant doesn't charge anywhere near 100%, just like they don't put a full tank of gas in ICE vehicles. Some get delivered vehicles with not a full charge because the dealer never charged it. It's around 50%.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
We charge to 95% every Sunday night. Ready for the week of driving.

jamelski

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE
Country flag
Thank you all for the laugh on this.

I charge to 100 every day and donā€™t give a flying faq what you think.

but Iā€™ll say this

if you have an ev for 10 years with the way technology changes

Your either cheap and /or stupid

šŸŽ™ drop Iā€™m out

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
The plant doesn't charge anywhere near 100%, just like they don't put a full tank of gas in ICE vehicles. Some get delivered vehicles with not a full charge because the dealer never charged it. It's around 50%.
Or the dealer didnā€™t realize it takes 5 hours to go from 50% to 100% on their level 2 charger.
Sponsored