lindseybp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Country flag
Got the call this past Monday that my MME GT arrived at the dealership in Chazy, NY. This is about 800 miles from me in Cincinnati but I was getting X-plan pricing so I didn't mind the long drive. Flew into Burlington, VT Thursday morning and took a lift to Riley Ford in Chazy. Pulled in and I got my first look.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_1765

It was charging up to 100% since I had a long journey. My sales guy, Sean Winters, was great. Very Knowledgeable about the ME. Made the sales people at large dealers I have spoken too look like rookies. Easiest car purchase I have ever done. No market adjustments or dealer add ons (protection packages, etc.). The finance person knew all about Ford Options was was totally prepared. Keep in mind this is a dealership in a town of just over 4,000 people but they knew so much more than other big dealers I have spoken with. Completed all the paperwork, got my keys and hit the road just before 4pm. It was in the 40's with heavy winds and raining. Initial range said 243 miles at 100%....this picture shows 240 but this was a few miles after I left the dealership.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_1768

The first several hours of my drive on Day 1 were on one lane each way roads through the countryside. Passing lots of Amish and a massive wind farm.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_1777

I was able to get Bluecruise going without any issues. I was SHOCKED how effective this was. It made a world of difference in my 800 mile drive home. I used Bluecruise for probably 600-700 miles of the drive. It was a game changer and made such a difference in my comfort on the drive. I was looking forward to using it but didn't realize how great it was until I started using it. That first night I drove until after 1am in rain, winds and darkness and Bluecruise was solid. Amazing. I first realized how fast this car was when I had to pass a semi at dusk, in the rain and wind. Country road, one lane each way, slightly hilly...just hilly enough to make you apprehensive to pass. I peeked out to check oncoming cars, saw none, and went for the pass. I'm used to jamming down on the gas pedal on an ICE car, then waiting for it to rev up and hoping you can speed up fast enough to pass safely. I was in whisper mode....pulled out and pushed down a little and I was by the 18 wheeler before I even realized it. I was stunned. I didn't even push down all the way on the gas. Makes you feel so much safer if you have to pass on a road like that.

So my first charging session had a few hiccups. I was using the on board Ford navigation and it took me to an EvolveNY 150kw charging station. Hooked up to the first charger...not working. Hooked up to the second charger....not working. Hooked up to the third charger....not working. Called the service number and the guy said the station was having issues and he gave me some random charger in another location that he was sure was working. This is where the forum advice really helped me. I had multiple forum members tell me to check Plugshare and other apps as the Ford navigation would guide you to a station but does not say if it's working. So I opened plugshare and looked at this location. Plugshare said the 4th charger was working. So pulled into that charger, the only one I hadn't tried, and lo and behold it worked!

Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_1784

I was getting just over 100kw. EvolveNY uses the Shell Recharge app. I had to set up an account and add money then was able to get charging going. I made the mistake of only putting $10 on the account before I headed to Chipotle to eat dinner. As I was eating I checked the Ford Pass app and saw it was not charging. Went on the Shell Recharge app and realized I had used all my $10 and it had then stopped. I was able to add more money in the app and reinitiate the charging while still at the chipotle a few hundred yards away. That was pretty awesome. Once at 80% it bumped down to 44kw but I unplugged after hitting 80% and hit the road. Funny thing...shortly after I started charging a big jacked up truck pulled into one of the charging spots. I thought they were either going to ICE that charger or give me some grief. I looked over and this kid (late teens) jumps out and grabs the charging cable. Then walks over to his truck like he's going to charge it. He looks over at me and smiles and starts laughing his butt off. I laugh at/with him as he puts the charging cable back and takes off. Just two kids goofing around. Go figure.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_1783

I had to hit one more EvolveNY charger before getting to my hotel in Buffalo. There were two chargers. Plugged into the first one. Opened the Shell Recharge app and started charging. Was only getting 30kw so after a minute or two switched to the other one. Started getting over 100kw. Here is where member advice helped again. I had several people on the forum tell me that the EA stations were free on Friday starting at midnight. So I got just enough charge to get to an EA charger near my hotel in Buffalo. My plan was to arrive after midnight and hit the EA station and top up before checking in at the hotel. This would allow me to hit the road immediately the next morning.

I got into the Buffalo area about 12:30am Friday morning. Found the EA charger easily, plugged in and charging started. Was getting some great charging speeds at the EA charger.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_1787

Charged to just over 80% and hit the hotel. Got to sleep about 2am and was in the car and hit the road by 8am.

Next stop was at an EA station in Erie, PA. Pulled in and two guys were working on one of the chargers but all the others were working. Plugged in and started getting solid charge speeds again. Walked over to a Krispy Kreme about 100 yards away and got a coffee and some donuts. Sat there and ate and by the time I was ready to go I looked at the Ford Pass app and saw my ME was already almost at 80%! So I walked back and it was all charged up to 80% and ready to roll.

Another area where forum advice helped. I put in my destination again in the Ford Nav and it had me stopping at two chargers. One for a quick top up and then another one where it had me charging for over an hour. I remember advice from forum members saying that Ford Nav doesn't always pick the best/fastest chargers. So I pull up the Electrify America app and find one of their chargers a little further on the route in Mansfield, Ohio. To Fords credit I was able to go into Nav and find that specific charger and swap that one as the next charger That made it so I would only need one stop to get home.

Found the EA charger in Mansfield no problem. Plugged in and the free charging started. My brother in law was on his way home from Cleveland and met me at the charger to check it out. He refused to drive it as he said it would make him want one too bad! Getting back on the highway I had another shocking ME moment. The highway was pretty busy. I saw a window to merge. I'm used to having to jam on the gas pedal and hope you can get up to speed to slot into a spot. Just pushed down on the ME pedal and what I thought would be a tight window was not tight at all. I was able to speed up so fast I easily merged into the spot. Again pretty stunning to me as I'm not used to that. Feel much safer being able to immediately have torque and get up to speed to merge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_7800

While I was charging I had a Polestar 2 and and ID 4 pull in to charge. Had the guy in the ID4 come over and ask me about the MachE. It's nice to chat with other EV users while charging. Got to talking and by the time we were done it had charged up to 87%. Not the fastest charging speed on this EA charger but not too slow either....and it was free so I can't complain!

Ford Mustang Mach-E 800 Mile road trip from NY to OH in Mach-E GT IMG_1792

Hit the road with more than enough charge to get home. Another funny thing happened as I was driving through Columbus, OH. Was on the highway and sensed another car pull along side me as I was cruising about 70mph. Looked over and it was a guy in his 20s driving a really nice Mustang GT (either a 350 or 500?). He looked over at me and gave me the thumbs up with a smile. I did the same and then he gunned it and took off. So much for people saying Mustang owners don't like ME's! Was a pretty cool gesture. His mustang was insanely nice, loud and fast. I think I could have taken him though! ;)

Cruised to an EA station about 8 miles from my house and topped up on electrons as it was free and I knew lots of people would want a ride in it over the weekend. Saw another ME charging, a BMW i3, an ID4, a Nissan Leaf and an Ioniq 5 was pulling in just as I was finishing up. We complemented each other on our cars and I told him I had flown to NY State to get it and drive back. He had flown to Chicago to get his Ioniq 5. Crazy how scarce electric cars are right now. Made it home and took the kids for a giggle inducting ride.

Final thoughts. This vehicle is even more impressive than I thought it would be. Bluecruise is a game changer for me. It made my journey so much less stressful. Did I mention the headlights? They are freaking amazing. Great light spread and intensity and auto high beams work great. Any range/charging anxiety I had before is completely gone now. Was super easy to charge along the 800 mile route (less the first hiccup with bad chargers). I would have no reservations taking this car on a very long drive again. The car is easy to drive. I think someone coming from an ICE car to an EV would have an easier transition in the ME than some other EV's. Love the Space White color. For everyone who is waiting on their ME.....the waiting sucks.......but it definitely will be worth it! Thanks again to all the members on here who gave me great advice for my long drive home. This forum is great.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
The Interactive Cruise Control works very good also. IMO itā€™s like BC, almost.

You picked on a great day for pickup because of the free EA charging. Great planning. The GT Space White stars were aligned.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Awesome pickup story. I am jealous. Drive it well and donā€™t make your next post one of those disturbing crash picture photos with a 25K estimate or some High-voltage issue bricking you into June

Jes sayin. The crash photos scare me more than the voltage problems. Everyone is driving like a pinhead in Arizona now

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Great delivery day & drive story! Glad to hear EA worked out so well for you and even NY EVolve didnā€™t totally let you down.

Dan the Man

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Got the call this past Monday that my MME GT arrived at the dealership in Chazy, NY. This is about 800 miles from me in Cincinnati but I was getting X-plan pricing so I didn't mind the long drive. Flew into Burlington, VT Thursday morning and took a lift to Riley Ford in Chazy. Pulled in and I got my first look.

It was charging up to 100% since I had a long journey. My sales guy, Sean Winters, was great. Very Knowledgeable about the ME. Made the sales people at large dealers I have spoken too look like rookies. Easiest car purchase I have ever done. No market adjustments or dealer add ons (protection packages, etc.). The finance person knew all about Ford Options was was totally prepared. Keep in mind this is a dealership in a town of just over 4,000 people but they knew so much more than other big dealers I have spoken with. Completed all the paperwork, got my keys and hit the road just before 4pm. It was in the 40's with heavy winds and raining. Initial range said 243 miles at 100%....this picture shows 240 but this was a few miles after I left the dealership.

The first several hours of my drive on Day 1 were on one lane each way roads through the countryside. Passing lots of Amish and a massive wind farm.

I was able to get Bluecruise going without any issues. I was SHOCKED how effective this was. It made a world of difference in my 800 mile drive home. I used Bluecruise for probably 600-700 miles of the drive. It was a game changer and made such a difference in my comfort on the drive. I was looking forward to using it but didn't realize how great it was until I started using it. That first night I drove until after 1am in rain, winds and darkness and Bluecruise was solid. Amazing. I first realized how fast this car was when I had to pass a semi at dusk, in the rain and wind. Country road, one lane each way, slightly hilly...just hilly enough to make you apprehensive to pass. I peeked out to check oncoming cars, saw none, and went for the pass. I'm used to jamming down on the gas pedal on an ICE car, then waiting for it to rev up and hoping you can speed up fast enough to pass safely. I was in whisper mode....pulled out and pushed down a little and I was by the 18 wheeler before I even realized it. I was stunned. I didn't even push down all the way on the gas. Makes you feel so much safer if you have to pass on a road like that.

So my first charging session had a few hiccups. I was using the on board Ford navigation and it took me to an EvolveNY 150kw charging station. Hooked up to the first charger...not working. Hooked up to the second charger....not working. Hooked up to the third charger....not working. Called the service number and the guy said the station was having issues and he gave me some random charger in another location that he was sure was working. This is where the forum advice really helped me. I had multiple forum members tell me to check Plugshare and other apps as the Ford navigation would guide you to a station but does not say if it's working. So I opened plugshare and looked at this location. Plugshare said the 4th charger was working. So pulled into that charger, the only one I hadn't tried, and lo and behold it worked!

I was getting just over 100kw. EvolveNY uses the Shell Recharge app. I had to set up an account and add money then was able to get charging going. I made the mistake of only putting $10 on the account before I headed to Chipotle to eat dinner. As I was eating I checked the Ford Pass app and saw it was not charging. Went on the Shell Recharge app and realized I had used all my $10 and it had then stopped. I was able to add more money in the app and reinitiate the charging while still at the chipotle a few hundred yards away. That was pretty awesome. Once at 80% it bumped down to 44kw but I unplugged after hitting 80% and hit the road. Funny thing...shortly after I started charging a big jacked up truck pulled into one of the charging spots. I thought they were either going to ICE that charger or give me some grief. I looked over and this kid (late teens) jumps out and grabs the charging cable. Then walks over to his truck like he's going to charge it. He looks over at me and smiles and starts laughing his butt off. I laugh at/with him as he puts the charging cable back and takes off. Just two kids goofing around. Go figure.

I had to hit one more EvolveNY charger before getting to my hotel in Buffalo. There were two chargers. Plugged into the first one. Opened the Shell Recharge app and started charging. Was only getting 30kw so after a minute or two switched to the other one. Started getting over 100kw. Here is where member advice helped again. I had several people on the forum tell me that the EA stations were free on Friday starting at midnight. So I got just enough charge to get to an EA charger near my hotel in Buffalo. My plan was to arrive after midnight and hit the EA station and top up before checking in at the hotel. This would allow me to hit the road immediately the next morning.

I got into the Buffalo area about 12:30am Friday morning. Found the EA charger easily, plugged in and charging started. Was getting some great charging speeds at the EA charger.

Charged to just over 80% and hit the hotel. Got to sleep about 2am and was in the car and hit the road by 8am.

Next stop was at an EA station in Erie, PA. Pulled in and two guys were working on one of the chargers but all the others were working. Plugged in and started getting solid charge speeds again. Walked over to a Krispy Kreme about 100 yards away and got a coffee and some donuts. Sat there and ate and by the time I was ready to go I looked at the Ford Pass app and saw my ME was already almost at 80%! So I walked back and it was all charged up to 80% and ready to roll.

Another area where forum advice helped. I put in my destination again in the Ford Nav and it had me stopping at two chargers. One for a quick top up and then another one where it had me charging for over an hour. I remember advice from forum members saying that Ford Nav doesn't always pick the best/fastest chargers. So I pull up the Electrify America app and find one of their chargers a little further on the route in Mansfield, Ohio. To Fords credit I was able to go into Nav and find that specific charger and swap that one as the next charger That made it so I would only need one stop to get home.

Found the EA charger in Mansfield no problem. Plugged in and the free charging started. My brother in law was on his way home from Cleveland and met me at the charger to check it out. He refused to drive it as he said it would make him want one too bad! Getting back on the highway I had another shocking ME moment. The highway was pretty busy. I saw a window to merge. I'm used to having to jam on the gas pedal and hope you can get up to speed to slot into a spot. Just pushed down on the ME pedal and what I thought would be a tight window was not tight at all. I was able to speed up so fast I easily merged into the spot. Again pretty stunning to me as I'm not used to that. Feel much safer being able to immediately have torque and get up to speed to merge.

While I was charging I had a Polestar 2 and and ID 4 pull in to charge. Had the guy in the ID4 come over and ask me about the MachE. It's nice to chat with other EV users while charging. Got to talking and by the time we were done it had charged up to 87%. Not the fastest charging speed on this EA charger but not too slow either....and it was free so I can't complain!

Hit the road with more than enough charge to get home. Another funny thing happened as I was driving through Columbus, OH. Was on the highway and sensed another car pull along side me as I was cruising about 70mph. Looked over and it was a guy in his 20s driving a really nice Mustang GT (either a 350 or 500?). He looked over at me and gave me the thumbs up with a smile. I did the same and then he gunned it and took off. So much for people saying Mustang owners don't like ME's! Was a pretty cool gesture. His mustang was insanely nice, loud and fast. I think I could have taken him though! ;)

Cruised to an EA station about 8 miles from my house and topped up on electrons as it was free and I knew lots of people would want a ride in it over the weekend. Saw another ME charging, a BMW i3, an ID4, a Nissan Leaf and an Ioniq 5 was pulling in just as I was finishing up. We complemented each other on our cars and I told him I had flown to NY State to get it and drive back. He had flown to Chicago to get his Ioniq 5. Crazy how scarce electric cars are right now. Made it home and took the kids for a giggle inducting ride.

Final thoughts. This vehicle is even more impressive than I thought it would be. Bluecruise is a game changer for me. It made my journey so much less stressful. Did I mention the headlights? They are freaking amazing. Great light spread and intensity and auto high beams work great. Any range/charging anxiety I had before is completely gone now. Was super easy to charge along the 800 mile route (less the first hiccup with bad chargers). I would have no reservations taking this car on a very long drive again. The car is easy to drive. I think someone coming from an ICE car to an EV would have an easier transition in the ME than some other EV's. Love the Space White color. For everyone who is waiting on their ME.....the waiting sucks.......but it definitely will be worth it! Thanks again to all the members on here who gave me great advice for my long drive home. This forum is great.
Great info! What was your x-plan pricing discount?

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Great story! Someday we're all going to look back on these early charging challenges and wonder how we ever did it. By that time, EV charging stations will be as common (perhaps more so) as gas stations are today. And we'll all be getting a massive charge in five minutes instead of waiting over dinner for our cars to charge!

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Love it! That's an awesome pickup story. When I was learning to drive I asked my Dad why horsepower "mattered", given we have speed limits. He said "because if you need to get out of trouble, you can get out of trouble..."

Apparently when he and my Mom were dating they were close to getting crushed by a semi while driving her Austin-Healey Sprite, but she gassed it and passed him. Truck had no idea they were there.

Great acceleration is fun, but like you realized, can be a big safety advantage too. At least that what I tell my wife ;-)

Enjoy!

Slick B

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e GT Iced blue metallic
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Forgive me if I didn't catch this but why were you going to pay stations when there are free ones?

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
FYI, the charge rate may be reduced if multiple cars are charging at the same time.

SaintPaulMustangMach-E_GT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT Manager
Country flag

Great recap, makes my never ending delays feel like it might be worth it...

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
You echo so many of my feelings about my MME (Premium 4X) also. I LOVED my Acura RDX Advance SH-AWD, and it was quick, but when I had to pass or merge, I absolutely had to calculate in my head the spin-up time that the engine would need before I could do what I needed to do. Iā€™m not a ā€œspeed guyā€ or a fast driver by any sense of the terms, but I do like to know that when I push the pedal, it goes.

Iā€™m still waiting on BlueCruise (Job 1 car), but Iā€™ve been consistently impressed by the quality of the Intelligent Cruise control doing similar if I just hook my finger on the wheel to provide some resistance. Itā€™s pretty amazing. And yes, the lights! The headlights are a make-or-break decision for me in buying a car because of some contrast issues with my vision, and the IIHS website is the deciding factor for me, hence the previous purchase of that specific Acura and this specific trim MME (as Select and Route 1 have unfortunately lesser headlights). The MMEā€™s headlights are well balanced, and the auto high beam is the best Iā€™ve had in any car ever.

Glad youā€™re enjoying your Mach-E so much. Welcome to the club, brother!

jimgh141

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 22 Select
Love seeing Erie pop up in the thread. Grew up there and my dad is VERY interested in seein my MME when I finally get it (hopefully this week?)

mdukat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 - Mach E GT Ice Blue
Occupation
Vice President - Ramboll
Country flag
Thanks for the writeup. I get my 2022 GT in mid -May. I traded in my 2021 Mach E

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Thanks for the writeup. I get my 2022 GT in mid -May. I traded in my 2021 Mach E
How did you do on your trade compared to your purchase price?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
So I haven't taken any big road trips yet over 2 hours and I don't use Ford Navigation, which is what I assume I'm seeing on the left there. There are two range indicators there. Is one your guestimated range and the other the distance to the next charger on your route?