90% Charge (Better for the HVB) vs 80% charge (more economical)

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Ford recommends keeping the HVB at 90% charge for the health of the battery. However, it takes more energy (longer time) to charge from 80 to 90% - resulting in a higher cost from your electricity provider. It's my understanding that it's cheaper (and faster) to go from 70 to 80 % charge than it is to go from 80 to 90% charge even though its the same increment (10%). So what is everybody doing or plan on doing - charging to 90% (except for days when a complete charge is needed) or 80%? Thanks
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Why would it be more expensive if you’re paying per kWh?

OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would it be more expensive if you’re paying per kWh?
I believe by the nature of the battery is requires a longer time and more energy to change the battery for the last 20 % - to got from 80 to 100%?

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Waste in the form of heat, sorta like stuffing a closet, easier to do when it is empty. My current setting is 85%,so......

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even if it does take more time (I’m not saying it does), that doesn’t mean it costs more. I doubt there is any appreciable difference in efficiency.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
You should be fine charging it to 80% instead of 90%. The ideal SOC to maintain the battery is between 20 and 80% of total capacity. Hence the 90% charge recommendation from Ford with with the buffer is just below 80% charge.

OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Waste in the form of heat, sorta like stuffing a closet, easier to do when it is empty. My current setting is 85%,so......
90% is just an upper limit, 80% or even lower down to like 50% is probably (very marginally) better for HVB health.
Setting aside the health of the battery - does it not take more energy (and therefore more cost) to go from 80 to 90% charge than it does to go from from 70 to 80% charge. Or is OttawaGuy correct in that this is just a function of commercial chargers but not of home chargers?

FASTNF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 4x4,
Country flag
Level 2 charging is essentially a trickle charger for these size batteries I usually charge to 80% just because I don't need more than that. If I am going on a long trip I will charge to 100 percent just before I leave. I haven't noticed any inefficiencies for the extra 20% on those days that I charge to 100 %

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Setting aside the health of the battery - does it not take more energy (and therefore more cost) to go from 80 to 90% charge than it does to go from from 70 to 80% charge. Or is OttawaGuy correct in that this is just a function of commercial chargers but not of home chargers?
No, it doesn’t cost more when you’re paying per kWh at home or at commercial stations for that matter. You’re thinking of DCFC stations that charge per minute, which is required in some states. That has nothing to do with home charging.

It‘s like paying per gallon of gas. Does it cost more if you pump it slower?

OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, it doesn’t cost more when you’re paying per kWh at home or at commercial stations for that matter. You’re thinking of DCFC stations that charge per minute, which is required in some states. That has nothing to do with home charging.

OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for this - so is the idea that some commercial fast chargers will let you go to 80% relatively quickly but the last 20 % can take 2 hours because they want a quick turnover of the chargers? or is there some other reason.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for this - so is the idea that some commercial fast chargers will let you go to 80% relatively quickly but the last 20 % can take 2 hours because they want a quick turnover of the chargers? or is there some other reason.
It‘s not the charger that dictates the charging curve, it’s the car. Ford chose to have the MME charge very slowly above 80% at DCFC stations to protect the battery. But to put that in perspective, that very slow rate above 80% at DCFC is about the same speed as the FASTEST charge you can get at home.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Ford recommends keeping the HVB at 90% charge for the health of the battery. However, it takes more energy (longer time) to charge from 80 to 90% - resulting in a higher cost from your electricity provider. It's my understanding that it's cheaper (and faster) to go from 70 to 80 % charge than it is to go from 80 to 90% charge even though its the same increment (10%). So what is everybody doing or plan on doing - charging to 90% (except for days when a complete charge is needed) or 80%? Thanks
I plan to do the same thing I did with my Leaf and with my Bolt--100% charge. Of course, that does not charge the battery 100% because of the reserve, only charges to 100% of available battery. Neither my Leaf nor my Bolt ever had a problem with this or experienced any measurable battery capacity loss. Most charges were with an L2 charger.
Sponsored