benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I figured since I've posted about my other road trips, I might as well keep it up.

on 7/21/21 I drove about 900 miles from Tulsa to Memphis, and back on 7/23.

Overall, it was a great trip, and didn't have any issues with the car.

Tulsa to Memphis:
Charging Stop #1 - Electrify America - Clarksville Arkansas
Plugged into an ABB 350kw charging station, using plug and charge. I plugged in and ran into Walmart to get a drink and use the restroom. Got back out, and the car hadn't charged much. Was stuck at 31kw. Checked temp's and such with Torque, and everything looked normal that I could See.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 900 Mile Road Trip Report Screenshot_20210721-111557_Torque

I Then moved to another 350kw station, and the same result. Finally moved to a 150kw station, and charging went to normal. Spent 20 more minutes charging and then moved on to the next stop.

Stop 2 - Electrify America - Little Rock Arkansas
29% - 75% - Total time 25 minutes
Plugged into a 150kw station, and charging went right to 148kw as expected.

Stop 3 - Electrify America - Forrest City Arkansas
35% - 72% - Total time 19 minutes
Plugged into a Signet 350kw station, and immediately started charging at 156kw.

Stop 4 - Electrify America - Memphis TN
40% - 85% - Total time 42 minutes
This was on Friday after I had been in Memphis. There is only one DC charging station in all of memphis, and was 30 minutes from downtown where I was staying. This was an interesting stop. I plugged into a 350kw Signet unit, and again had great charging right from the start. However, this time the charging curve did something I haven't seen before.

Torque reported an initial spike of 223kw for just a second, then dropped back to 0kw. It then started normally charging at 156kw for a few minutes, then tapered down to 142kw like usual after 2 minutes. However, it then tapered down to 18kw. and then back up to 146kw. Then started tapering down again, and then dropped to 70kw, then back up to 136kw. Before finally settling down at 110kw through the rest of the charge.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 900 Mile Road Trip Report 1627306597349

Return Trip:
Stop 1 - Electrify America - Little Rock AR.
This stop was another uneventful stop. 350kw Signet machine. 22% - 80% Total time 33 minutes

Stop 2 - Francis Energy - Roland OK
150kw ABB unit. 9% - 70% Total time 35 Minutes.

Overall it was a great trip with the MME. No errors, no issues that I couldn't resolve by switching to a different charging cabinet. It went exactly as expected. ABRP predicted 4 charging stops on the return trip, and only ended up needing 2.

It does seem like when I do have slow charging issues, it happens when I'm connecting to an ABB unit. Signet units so far have worked normally every time.

I tried to log the entire return trip with Torque, but I apparently didn't set something up right and it only got the last bit of the trip home. It looks like it only tracked GPS when the app was open. But other stats keeps recording.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 900 Mile Road Trip Report 1627307086153

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My experience with ABRP, for my Bolt and the MME, it that it is very inaccurate. You would have to change the assumptions by a large amount to get them to match.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My experience with ABRP, for my Bolt and the MME, it that it is very inaccurate. You would have to change the assumptions by a large amount to get them to match.
I typically do adjust and use it as a basic guide. If I'm going to be on interstates with 70-80 mph speed limits, it set it to use 2.8mi/kwh. Which usually gets me pretty close when going 80mph.

greenaero

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME gray , Mazda Cx5, Honda CBR250R
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Country flag
Great report! I haven't used a DC fast charger yet so this info is informative and encouraging for an EV neophyte like me. Thx @benk016

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
I figured since I've posted about my other road trips, I might as well keep it up.

on 7/21/21 I drove about 900 miles from Tulsa to Memphis, and back on 7/23.

Overall, it was a great trip, and didn't have any issues with the car.

Tulsa to Memphis:
Charging Stop #1 - Electrify America - Clarksville Arkansas
Plugged into an ABB 350kw charging station, using plug and charge. I plugged in and ran into Walmart to get a drink and use the restroom. Got back out, and the car hadn't charged much. Was stuck at 31kw. Checked temp's and such with Torque, and everything looked normal that I could See.

I Then moved to another 350kw station, and the same result. Finally moved to a 150kw station, and charging went to normal. Spent 20 more minutes charging and then moved on to the next stop.

Stop 2 - Electrify America - Little Rock Arkansas
29% - 75% - Total time 25 minutes
Plugged into a 150kw station, and charging went right to 148kw as expected.

Stop 3 - Electrify America - Forrest City Arkansas
35% - 72% - Total time 19 minutes
Plugged into a Signet 350kw station, and immediately started charging at 156kw.

Stop 4 - Electrify America - Memphis TN
40% - 85% - Total time 42 minutes
This was on Friday after I had been in Memphis. There is only one DC charging station in all of memphis, and was 30 minutes from downtown where I was staying. This was an interesting stop. I plugged into a 350kw Signet unit, and again had great charging right from the start. However, this time the charging curve did something I haven't seen before.

Torque reported an initial spike of 223kw for just a second, then dropped back to 0kw. It then started normally charging at 156kw for a few minutes, then tapered down to 142kw like usual after 2 minutes. However, it then tapered down to 18kw. and then back up to 146kw. Then started tapering down again, and then dropped to 70kw, then back up to 136kw. Before finally settling down at 110kw through the rest of the charge.

Return Trip:
Stop 1 - Electrify America - Little Rock AR.
This stop was another uneventful stop. 350kw Signet machine. 22% - 80% Total time 33 minutes

Stop 2 - Francis Energy - Roland OK
150kw ABB unit. 9% - 70% Total time 35 Minutes.

Overall it was a great trip with the MME. No errors, no issues that I couldn't resolve by switching to a different charging cabinet. It went exactly as expected. ABRP predicted 4 charging stops on the return trip, and only ended up needing 2.

It does seem like when I do have slow charging issues, it happens when I'm connecting to an ABB unit. Signet units so far have worked normally every time.

I tried to log the entire return trip with Torque, but I apparently didn't set something up right and it only got the last bit of the trip home. It looks like it only tracked GPS when the app was open. But other stats keeps recording.
Thank you for this informative write up. I am a novice with EVs but the spikes seem unusual even though it is great to see the peek at 223kw. Hopefully, our Ford Co. friends here would look into this to see if there are any lessons learned and opportunity for future improvement.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I typically do adjust and use it as a basic guide. If I'm going to be on interstates with 70-80 mph speed limits, it set it to use 2.8mi/kwh. Which usually gets me pretty close when going 80mph.
That's interesting, I only do a max of 75 mph. I set ABRP to 3.1, set max speed of 75 and 110% reference speed and a 5 mph headwind. That gets ABRP to within about 1-2% for me on my Premium 4X.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That's interesting, I only do a max of 75 mph. I set ABRP to 3.1, set max speed of 75 and 110% reference speed and a 5 mph headwind. That gets ABRP to within about 1-2% for me on my Premium 4X.
The car just seemed to do much better on the drive home. Looking at elevation data, it looks like It was more downhill on the way there, and uphill on the way back. So that doesn't really add up either.

ABRP also was showing me an area on the way home I needed to stay under 65mph to make it to a charger with 8% remaining. I stayed 80mph and arrived with over 20%.

I have noticed occasionally ABRP doesn't seem to calculate right. Today that same route with the same settings is showing different results. Same stations, but no need to limit speed. and more matching what I would expect with the details I put in. I suspect this is what happened on my initial planning.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You are getting opposite results from me. ABRP has 3.13 mile/KWH default. I took a trip up a 6000ft elevation change (180miles, mostly driving 75mph) and ABRP predicted an average usage of 2.1 mile/KWh. In the car was 2.8, when I arrived at the charger. ABRP told me I would only have 7% battery left, actual was 33%. Ford nav predicted 42% left and was more accurate. ABRP told me my Bolt could not even make it from Phoenix to Flagstaff with full charge, but I have made the trip in the Bolt, starting out with less than a full charge.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You are getting opposite results from me. ABRP has 3.13 mile/KWH default. I took a trip up a 6000ft elevation change (180miles, mostly driving 75mph) and ABRP predicted an average usage of 2.1 mile/KWh. In the car was 2.8, when I arrived at the charger. ABRP told me I would only have 7% battery left, actual was 33%. Ford nav predicted 42% left and was more accurate. ABRP told me my Bolt could not even make it from Phoenix to Flagstaff with full charge, but I have made the trip in the Bolt, starting out with less than a full charge.
This is why I just use ABRP to plan the actual route, with charging stops. I don't really pay attention to what it says I'll use. If I'm getting to a charging stop, and have enough range to make it to the next charger with 40-50 mile buffer, i'll skip it and keep going. I just didn't expect to get to skip half the chargers on the way home. haha

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is why I just use ABRP to plan the actual route, with charging stops. I don't really pay attention to what it says I'll use. If I'm getting to a charging stop, and have enough range to make it to the next charger with 40-50 mile buffer, i'll skip it and keep going. I just didn't expect to get to skip half the chargers on the way home. haha
I use my BGMP (Built in Gray Matter Planner) for charging stops. Works very well.

I understand not trusting the numbers, but when ABRP tells me I cannot make the trip that is not useful, especially when the BGMP planner knows better.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I use my BGMP (Built in Gray Matter Planner) for charging stops. Works very well.

I understand not trusting the numbers, but when ABRP tells me I cannot make the trip that is not useful, especially when the BGMP planner knows better.
I have an appointment with the Dealer Next week to look at my navigation. My maps don't have streets on them. It works, but navigation route just shows the way to go on a blank screen. Major interstates show up, but it acts like the actual map data is not there.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have an appointment with the Dealer Next week to look at my navigation. My maps don't have streets on them. It works, but navigation route just shows the way to go on a blank screen. Major interstates show up, but it acts like the actual map data is not there.
That is certainly an odd bug. I have had two instances where the Frod maps could not find an address, in both cases I used Apple maps as the backup and found them. At least Ford has not locked out CarPlay, like some OEMs are doing (Tesla and Rivian).

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
Awesome write-up, thaks for sharing. I also did a 900 mile trip this weekend, will post results shortly. What OBD2 monitor are you using for Torque?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Awesome write-up, thaks for sharing. I also did a 900 mile trip this weekend, will post results shortly. What OBD2 monitor are you using for Torque?
I use the OBDLink EX. Its wired and much more reliable than the bluetooth adapter I had previously. I actually got this one with the plan to update modules with it on my last car. Forscan required a wired adapter to do module updates.

I actually have a USB-C hub that I plug into my phone, so I can plug the OBD reader in, and charge the phone at the same time.

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
I use the OBDLink EX. Its wired and much more reliable than the bluetooth adapter I had previously. I actually got this one with the plan to update modules with it on my last car. Forscan required a wired adapter to do module updates.

I actually have a USB-C hub that I plug into my phone, so I can plug the OBD reader in, and charge the phone at the same time.

This guy?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081VQVD3F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1C2436WDJ39HA&psc=1
Sponsored