Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I believe they put it on the drivers side to help people avoid having to walk around the car to connect their charger. If they had put it on the passenger side, 100% there would be people complaining about exactly that…”Why do I have to walk around my car just to plug it in? #SooooStupid”.

then, if they put a port on both sides, you would have people (Tesla drivers mostly) complaining that the charging ports are in the front of the car rather than in the back. This would also raise costs.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I believe they put it on the drivers side to help people avoid having to walk around the car to connect their charger. If they had put it on the passenger side, 100% there would be people complaining about exactly that…”Why do I have to walk around my car just to plug it in? #SooooStupid”.

then, if they put a port on both sides, you would have people (Tesla drivers mostly) complaining that the charging ports are in the front of the car rather than in the back. This would also raise costs.
Doesn’t the F150 lightning have ports on both sides?

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
You know, I actually prefer driver side front and think it's better in just about everything else but on street parking being an issue is a good point...

OP
OP

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
Doesn’t the F150 lightning have ports on both sides?
I don’t think so. I think one side is decorative for symmetry.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I don’t think so. I think one side is decorative for symmetry.

Correct. Driver side charging just like the MME.......the passenger side gets a matching panel but it doesn't open

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Correct. Driver side charging just like the MME.......the passenger side gets a matching panel but it doesn't open
What an unusual addition to the F150 of all things.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
THAT is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of! I can’t wait for all the videos of Texans trying to open the passenger side door!

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
For DC and L2 parking lot chargers (non street) I think the front side is great. Backing in gets tiresome in busy parking lots as it is easier to nose into a space.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
I went to an event last night and directly across the street was charge point chargers. This is street parking on Monmouth Street in Red Bank at the Count Bassie theater. So anyone can look at it via google earth street view.

Having the chargers is great, you pay a 1 dollar connection fee and that’s it and no additional parking charges.

So, here’s the miss. Why the heck is the charging port on the driver side? I was able to get the cable there and tuck it under the front end not to drag it across the hood—unlike the hybrid keep in front of me.

The bigger issue is the charging door is protruding a reasonable mount and a target to get hit by passing traffic. This is a narrowish street with parking on both sides and two way traffic.

The Taycan has ports in both sides (dcfc on passenger only) but considering street parking and charging is becoming more prevalent Ford should’ve put the port on the passenger, curb, side of the car.
First world problems.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
THAT is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of! I can’t wait for all the videos of Texans trying to open the passenger side door!
Maybe.....it's been reported in most of the videos I've seen on the truck. When it was first shown people immediately thought it had 2 ports and some even tried to open it at some of the early car shows or demo days events and were disappointed.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
I’d love to know how they decide which side of the car to put these things on. As it happens, if it was on the passenger side, it would be much more of a hassle for me to charge at home.
Same here. It's just impossible to please everyone.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
My comment was based on seeing more and more street parking with charging capability. Thus the passenger side vs driver side. At home it doesn’t matter to me
Compared with DCFC that I see as well as charging at home, I'm not sure the observation of more and more street charging is very widespread. The vast majority of public charging remains at pull in or pull through stations.
Sponsored